E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > iDrive occasional reboot. WTF ?

07-31-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
systech
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i (sold) 997.2 Carrera S

iDrive occasional reboot. WTF ?

Sorry to monopolise the forum with my minor and probably inane problems, but what the hell...that's what the forum is for isn't it (in part at least)

I will however also post some photos of the car (2008 335i with DCT) and driving impressions of the DCT in due course

After all the complaints about iDrive over the years, I was somewhat surprised to find that it is fine and reasonably intuitive. Have managed to perform most functions without consulting the manual once. Clearly the addition of the various buttons (radio, Back, Nav, Tel etc) have simplified navigation of the various menus.

Just one minor issue...occasionally it seems to reboot randomly (usually when using navigation and then switching audio sources although it does not appear to be repeatable).

I'm guessing it's just a minor software bug (it is a new version after all and the range of functions and car options is pretty large).

Has anyone experienced this? Is it a known issue?
Will raise with the dealer perhaps at the next service unless it degenerates (at the moment it is still in the minor nuisance category).
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Yeah sometimes I get screen freeze(lock up) at start up warning screen. It's like the iDrive computer heats up. Rebooting by turning ignition fully off doesn't work till it cools down...........then it works again.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
systech
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by systech View Post
Sorry to monopolise the forum with my minor and probably inane problems, but what the hell...that's what the forum is for isn't it (in part at least)

I will however also post some photos of the car (2008 335i with DCT) and driving impressions of the DCT in due course

After all the complaints about iDrive over the years, I was somewhat surprised to find that it is fine and reasonably intuitive. Have managed to perform most functions without consulting the manual once. Clearly the addition of the various buttons (radio, Back, Nav, Tel etc) have simplified navigation of the various menus.

Just one minor issue...occasionally it seems to reboot randomly (usually when using navigation and then switching audio sources although it does not appear to be repeatable).

I'm guessing it's just a minor software bug (it is a new version after all and the range of functions and car options is pretty large).

Has anyone experienced this? Is it a known issue?
Will raise with the dealer perhaps at the next service unless it degenerates (at the moment it is still in the minor nuisance category).
Just a quick progress report.

The dealer reloaded the iDrive software (although it transpires that I had the latest version of the software aleady loaded), which seemed to eliminate the problem for a few weeks. However, it still occasionally reboots. The dealer tells me that a new software version is being released this month so will try that and hope that is resolves the issue.

Just to repeat my initial question, has anyone suffered similar problems ?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 01:08 AM   #4
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT BSM

My 2006 335i experiences it sometimes...will usually only work again after cooling down...sometimes will revert back to normal after 20 minutes of driving.
Had one software upgrade that improved it
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 02:57 AM   #5
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE

No problems with mine only almost 1 year old thow my old is250 lexus sat nav kills the german sat nav for dead.
Can't beat japanese tecknos.
      09-18-2009, 04:29 AM   #6
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
No problems with mine only almost 1 year old thow my old is250 lexus sat nav kills the german sat nav for dead.
Can't beat japanese tecknos.
The sat nav in them are pretty good, but funny the ES300 my folks have is like something from the 80's, it's terrible and real hard to use! Wonder why lexus don't keep it consistent across all cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 06:23 AM   #7
systech
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

It has just occurred to me that the iDrive reboot I described in the first post only ever occurs at the same (or very similar) location which suggests to me that there is an EMI/EMC problem, i.e. the high field strengths from a nearby transmitter (probably a mobile phone tower) is causing this problem. Normally, a decent EMI / EMC design would hinder this susceptibility to such radiated interference. Great mechanical engineers they may be but clearly BMW are still learning the electronic engineering game !

Anyone with the latest version of the iDrive with Professional Nav etc experience similar problems?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 16 440i & MY20 X7 30d

Quote:
Anyone with the latest version of the iDrive with Professional Nav etc experience similar problems?
My has been ok. Never reboot by itself. The only shit I have is my Nokia N71 seem to stay connected to car even with car off so have to frequently restart my phone. Another issue is that the playlist does not come back on when i restart the car sometimes. I have to go back out and press currently playlist again to get list showing.

Do u have any of those problem Systech?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #9
Scooterman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
It has just occurred to me that the iDrive reboot I described in the first post only ever occurs at the same (or very similar) location which suggests to me that there is an EMI/EMC problem, i.e. the high field strengths from a nearby transmitter (probably a mobile phone tower) is causing this problem. Normally, a decent EMI / EMC design would hinder this susceptibility to such radiated interference. Great mechanical engineers they may be but clearly BMW are still learning the electronic engineering game !

No problems with mine so I think you should rule it out as being normal!

2008 E90 335i MSport, Blacklines, Tint, V4
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
systech
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchuang33 View Post
My has been ok. Never reboot by itself. The only shit I have is my Nokia N71 seem to stay connected to car even with car off so have to frequently restart my phone. Another issue is that the playlist does not come back on when i restart the car sometimes. I have to go back out and press currently playlist again to get list showing.

Do u have any of those problem Systech?
I note that your phone does not appear to be listed in the attached document of "approved Bluetooth phones" from BMW so I guess it do great surprise that you are having a few problems with the N71.

I also find that sometimes you need to activate "play current playlist" menu but haven't been able to work out yet why you need to do this sometimes and not others.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf bmw_bluetooth_information_2009_en.pdf (331.8 KB, 192 views)
Appreciate 0