E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > iPhone 3GS with 6NF not being recognized on iDrive

03-20-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
icabeemer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I Convertible

iPhone 3GS with 6NF not being recognized on iDrive

I have 6NF (Smartphone Integration) and purchased the snap-in adapter (model number 84-21-2-158-683). The phone is not showing up on iDrive in External Devices. Anyone else have this problem? Is there something that I am overlooking?

The bluetooth is on and connected. Everything works fine when plugged into the iPod connector.

Thank you in advance,
Neil

2009 335 Convertible/AT/Sport/Premium/Nav/Space Gray/Black/Gray Poplar
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
BMW-NC
Selling drugs to BMW addicts
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i e82 6MT N55

for the cable, there is 3 different versions, one 3G and one 3GS. Maybe for the cradle as well???
      03-20-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
Kongen71
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport 2013

I don't know if it's the same as in Europe but I had the old adaptor installed in my 2007 330i and moved it to my 2009 335i. It didn't work for my music and I had to buy a new snap-in adaptor. I checked the part number you posted and it's the same I bought. You need the USB audio interface (6FL) on top of the 6NF BMW expalined me or it won't work.

When I insert the phone there is a message on my screen (phone) saying something like "this accessory is not compatible with iPhone". You need to press "No" and it works. I get my contacts, music and playlists on the screen.

Hope this helps...

/Jan
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
icabeemer
United_States
Rep

More info

Thank you for your responses so far. Here is some more information from some tests this morning with the iPhone 3GS.
  • Bluetooth is on and connected to the car before placing in the cradle
  • It charges while in the cradle
  • When prompted on iPhone with something like "This devise is not compatible" I choose NO
  • One time external devices showed "Reading" but did not connect, and not every time so it is inconsistent

Next, I will try with another iPhone to see if it works.

Thanks,
Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
dibbz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i

I have the same problem. However, I think they didn't order my car properly. When they call up my VIN it doesn't show 6NF. <sigh> Double check to see if it was ordered with 6NF from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 05:22 AM   #6
Kongen71
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by icabeemer View Post
Thank you for your responses so far. Here is some more information from some tests this morning with the iPhone 3GS.
  • Bluetooth is on and connected to the car before placing in the cradle
  • It charges while in the cradle
  • When prompted on iPhone with something like "This devise is not compatible" I choose NO
  • One time external devices showed "Reading" but did not connect, and not every time so it is inconsistent

Next, I will try with another iPhone to see if it works.

Thanks,
Neil
Do you get your contacts on the screen when it's not in the snap-in? If not it would indicate that you have a problem with your bluetooth connection.

/Jan
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 06:31 AM   #7
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-NC View Post
for the cable, there is 3 different versions, one 3G and one 3GS. Maybe for the cradle as well???
I did not know this...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
Neutrinolad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

The first snap-in adapter I used with my 3GS wouldn't recognize music on the phone. I've been told this is the one to order:

Apple iPhone 3G USB Snap In Adapter for BMW Smart Phone (PN: 84 21 2 158 683)

What won't work on your phone? The phone works perfectly with the Y cable, fortunately.
ED: 12-21-09 PCD: 2-24-10 BMWCCA: 414299
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
icabeemer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrinolad View Post
The first snap-in adapter I used with my 3GS wouldn't recognize music on the phone. I've been told this is the one to order:

Apple iPhone 3G USB Snap In Adapter for BMW Smart Phone (PN: 84 21 2 158 683)

What won't work on your phone? The phone works perfectly with the Y cable, fortunately.
Looks like the same situation as you. I am able to see contacts and the phone connects to bluetooth, but I can't play the music on it while in the cradle. I can use the Y cable to listen to music and charge the phone, but I would rather have it in the cradle, to keep in one place and not tugging on the cable.

Also, I have the exact part number that you mention above.

Again, thank you for everyone's expertise on this subject.

Last edited by icabeemer; 03-22-2010 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

If you have Smartphone Option and IF you've ordered the proper cradle (if you order the Iphone cradle for cars without smartphone, you will not be able to play music) one other thing to watch for is that nothing else is plugged into the USB port. As I recall, you can play music on an Ipod/USB device OR the Iphone. If both are jacked in, I think it defaults to the Ipod/USB device.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #11
icabeemer
United_States
Rep

iPhone cradle is fully functional!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
If you have Smartphone Option and IF you've ordered the proper cradle (if you order the Iphone cradle for cars without smartphone, you will not be able to play music) one other thing to watch for is that nothing else is plugged into the USB port. As I recall, you can play music on an Ipod/USB device OR the Iphone. If both are jacked in, I think it defaults to the Ipod/USB device.
You are right, the issue was that I had the Y cable plugged into the iPod connector. Once this cable was removed, iDrive showed the iPhone in external devices and music could be played.

Thank you to everyone for helping me to figure this one out. This forum is extremely helpful and I appreciate everyone's insight.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #12
icabeemer
United_States
Rep

iPhone cradle is fully functional!

Quote:
You are right, the issue was that I had the Y cable plugged into the iPod connector. Once this cable was removed, iDrive showed the iPhone in external devices and music could be played.

Thank you to everyone for helping me to figure this one out. This forum is extremely helpful and I appreciate everyone's insight.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
icabeemer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are right and mystery solved. The problem was that the Ipod/USB was plugged in and iPhone was plugged into the cradle. Once you remove the iPod/USB cable, the iPhone is now recognized and can play music through iDrive.

Thank you to everyone for their insight and knowledge to help figure this out.

Thanks,
Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #14
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Is it just me, or is there an echo in here?

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #15
ipushtin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 750Li, X5 35d, RR supercharged

iphone 3gs

hi there. i am new to this website. i am trying to integrate my iphone 3GS into my idrive. i have a 2008 335. i have the usb and aux jack under the center arm rest console. the dealer gave me a y cable but the idrive doesnt recognize my iphone. when i go to my idrive it has the aux option and the usb option but i cannot select the usb option. pls help.
Appreciate 0