BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #45
X3M
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

Is anyone thinking about installing the hitch without connecting the electricals? I would only need it for a bike rack, and don't need to tow anything.

Also, has anyone with the M-Sport package installed this yet? Just want to make sure it fits the M-Sport bumper as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #46
Lamdog
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3 SMG

Did they have to cut away at any part of the bumper as part of the install?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #47
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 -Alpine white

I just placed an order for the hitch and apparently there is currently limited production with full fledged in December. Currently I am the first one to do this at my dealership and they are going to let me know when to expect it. I shall let you know what they say.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #48
x3and535i
Rep
Drives: 535i, X3 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3M View Post
Is anyone thinking about installing the hitch without connecting the electricals? I would only need it for a bike rack, and don't need to tow anything.

Also, has anyone with the M-Sport package installed this yet? Just want to make sure it fits the M-Sport bumper as well.
Yes, this original BMW hitch fits the M-Sport bumper. This is stated on the specs paper I got from my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #49
x3and535i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamdog View Post
Did they have to cut away at any part of the bumper as part of the install?
yes, there is a small cut at the bottom of the bumper I my guess it is a dust cover)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #50
x3and535i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1 View Post
I just placed an order for the hitch and apparently there is currently limited production with full fledged in December. Currently I am the first one to do this at my dealership and they are going to let me know when to expect it. I shall let you know what they say.
ask them for a discount. I was able to get one from my dealership since for them it is a good experience they will be selling later.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #51
x3and535i
Rep

Quote:
My guess it will be a view of the connection to the trailer. Also, system automatically immobilizes rear-PDC in this case. Not the case with a regular bike holder attached to the hitch.

Thanks so much for posting the photos. I am not sure what you mean by the statement above. You cannot use the camera for backing up with a trailer attached ???[/QUOTE]

no, I didn't mean that. Camera will be working and you cwill be able to see the area where trailer connection is by clocking on the "hitch" symbol on the screen. PDC will be disengaged automatically when you have trailer connected electrically.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #52
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3and535i View Post
ask them for a discount. I was able to get one from my dealership since for them it is a good experience they will be selling later.
Hmph! Now you tell me! I did say that I hoped I was not going to be a guinea pig since I am the first one to order.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:17 AM   #53
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3M View Post

perhaps someone will come out w/ an X3 bike rack that goes into the 2 holes already in the bumper for towing - such a rack exists for the X5.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #54
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Love it! Just too expensive for my taste...

Man, I like what I've seen from the hitch thus far, save, the price. Maybe in a few years I'll find the hardware out one criagslist for a fraction of the price.

Yeah, they will still have the $300 labor to install it, but I just can't pay that much PLUS a $700 for the hardware at this point to carry my bikes around.

I'm with... forgot who said it... who's waiting for a bike rack similar to the X5 that hooks into the bumper-tow-slots.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 04:36 AM   #55
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Here is the original eletrical towbar seen in action. It folds out quite quickly.

The noise you can hear is from neighbor's leaf blower and a truck driving pass. It is fall here.

The video is from test drive X3 as mine is still not in production...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #56
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
Here is the original eletrical towbar seen in action. It folds out quite quickly.
The video is from test drive X3 as mine is still not in production...
That one isn't available in the States.

Ordered the one for U.S., and it's getting installed this week. Took some pics last week of the underside as a "before" look, will snap a couple when I get the X3 back. Dealer cost on the parts, as they'd promised it in April (based on BMWNA's information to them) only to have to tell me August, then September.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #57
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Razel when did you order yours? The dealership placed my order 10/5 and were supposed to let me know when it was due to come in but have not heard squat. Backordered I am sure!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #58
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Razel when did you order yours? The dealership placed my order 10/5 and were supposed to let me know when it was due to come in but have not heard squat. Backordered I am sure!
Ordered it on Wednesday, 10/5 and paid for it then. They didn't have it in stock, and they showed none in the Stockton (Calif.) warehouse. After punching a number of keys on the keyboard, the parts guy showed it would be shipping from New Bethlehem, PA. Arrived at the dealers on Monday, 10/10. Brought the X3 into the service center yesterday (10/17).

I have another on-going issue with the car pulling to the right, so they're doing both the hitch installation and working on resolving the steering issue. Since the hitch is a new item for them, and the earlier alignment didn't solve the pulling problem, I expect it to be a couple of days.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #59
coolesnce
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X4 3.0 M-line Maxed out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
That one isn't available in the States.

Ordered the one for U.S., and it's getting installed this week. Took some pics last week of the underside as a "before" look, will snap a couple when I get the X3 back. Dealer cost on the parts, as they'd promised it in April (based on BMWNA's information to them) only to have to tell me August, then September.
Hey Razel. I ordered my 2012 X3 from Fremont dealership and was concerned about no Trailer hitch. They told me they would give it to me at dealers cost. Now that my X3 is in route they are charging me $700 for it. How much did you get it for at dealers cost?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #60
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolesnce View Post
Hey Razel. I ordered my 2012 X3 from Fremont dealership and was concerned about no Trailer hitch. They told me they would give it to me at dealers cost. Now that my X3 is in route they are charging me $700 for it. How much did you get it for at dealers cost?
Talk to the guy that told you "at cost". Take him with you to the parts counter. List price is $700.00, dealer cost was $490.00, but the parts guy may insist that it's their cost + 10% when the sales staff makes the deal. San Jose dealer was offering it at $560.00 instead of $700.00.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #61
coolesnce
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X4 3.0 M-line Maxed out

Quote:
Talk to the guy that told you "at cost". Take him with you to the parts counter. List price is $700.00, dealer cost was $490.00, but the parts guy may insist that it's their cost + 10% when the sales staff makes the deal. San Jose dealer was offering it at $560.00 instead of $700.00.
Thanks, The guy was the sales manager of Fremont. IS that were you purchased yours from?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #62
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolesnce View Post
Thanks, The guy was the sales manager of Fremont. IS that were you purchased yours from?
Yes, Fremont. Just off of Automall Parkway.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #63
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep

Ok, hitch is installed. There's a one-paged set of instructions that in typical fashion, requires some head-scratching to follow the receiver installation and removal. It needs to be removed because you'll find it a lot with your shins. And, it's a tad bit ugly ...

Receiver removal process. Key in locked position

Key in unlocked position.

Notice the green indicator on the other side of the knob the key is inserted in.

Push the knob toward the receiver. Green goes away.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #64
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep

Now you need to rotate the knob downward 90º

Receiver is now unlocked, but keep holding the knob down with your right hand and grab the receiver with your left. Pull up and away. Tad bit heavy, but can be held with one hand. You can then see how it all fits together.

No receiver

Re-attachment is straight forward, just put it back into place. The red indicator will be showing.

Then with a mighty shove, push down and it rotates slightly into the locked position and the green indicator is showing. Lock it with the key.

This last part may take some initial attempts. I tried a couple of times rotating the knob to "help" it get into place, but that didn't seem to work.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #65
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Razel thanks for the excellent photos and detailed instructions and shall keep them handy for mine. I checked in with the dealership 10/17 before leaving on vacation and "surprise", it had just arrived that morning, but I have an appointment for the week I return.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:56 AM   #66
x3and535i
Rep

Quote:
Now you need to rotate the knob downward 90º

Receiver is now unlocked, but keep holding the knob down with your right hand and grab the receiver with your left. Pull up and away. Tad bit heavy, but can be held with one hand. You can then see how it all fits together.

No receiver

Re-attachment is straight forward, just put it back into place. The red indicator will be showing.

Then with a mighty shove, push down and it rotates slightly into the locked position and the green indicator is showing. Lock it with the key.

This last part may take some initial attempts. I tried a couple of times rotating the knob to "help" it get into place, but that didn't seem to work.
yes, that's exactly what I have installed by San Francisco BMW
Appreciate 0