F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Best DSLR Camera?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-10-2008, 01:15 AM   #23
spacemonkey1112
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i AW

:'( I wish my canon 20d had a self cleaning sensor hahaha boy I can't wait till the 5d updates I've been taking a lot more portraits and that's why the full sensor appeals to me more; never really needed the speed =P
      01-10-2008, 03:44 PM   #24
Slke46
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 Sedan

Thanks for all the responses, it looks like Canon and Nikon should have what I'm looking for.

I want to get something for around $1000 or less, it won't be my primary camera but something to be used to take pictures of the kids in their natural pose, shots of the beautiful pink, red and orange sunsets here and moon risings. I also want to take some pictures of the car of course as I mod the heck out of it...

I know what some are saying about buying the body seperate from the lens but I think I just need a basic starter kit to get going, once I have reached the level that most of you are at I will upgrade. I used to work at Minolta Canada and had time to play with the 35mm SLR's when they were hot, so I have some experience with the camera's but still very limited.

As for kits... I was thinking of getting a Canon Rebel, what you think?
      01-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #25
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I think it's a great kit. I'd sell you my kit lens but u live in Canada so shipping would probably kill the deal.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #26
FolsomMike
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: crimson red 335 cabrio

A good starter camera and a great kit is the Olympus E-510 with 2 zoom lenses which you can probably find for $900. It just came out about 6 months ago and has a lot of great features-check it out at the Olympus web site.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #27
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slke46 View Post
Thanks for all the responses, it looks like Canon and Nikon should have what I'm looking for.

I want to get something for around $1000 or less, it won't be my primary camera but something to be used to take pictures of the kids in their natural pose, shots of the beautiful pink, red and orange sunsets here and moon risings. I also want to take some pictures of the car of course as I mod the heck out of it...

I know what some are saying about buying the body seperate from the lens but I think I just need a basic starter kit to get going, once I have reached the level that most of you are at I will upgrade. I used to work at Minolta Canada and had time to play with the 35mm SLR's when they were hot, so I have some experience with the camera's but still very limited.

As for kits... I was thinking of getting a Canon Rebel, what you think?

Go to the store, hold the cameras in your hands. The camera should be a natural extension of your body. The one that feels the best is the one to choose. Look at the controls, decide which layout you like the best.

In the sub $1000 range, including a lens, you're looking at a Canon XTi or the Nikon D40x. Both are outstanding cameras with a wide selection of excellent lenses. If you're looking at the sub $1000 for a body only, the Nikon D80 is tough to beat. If I'm not mistaken, the Canon options are all over $1000 that compete with the D80.

As for kit lenses, there are plenty of fine lenses out there. While I'm among the first to say the lens is more important than the body, just GETTING A CAMERA AND SHOOTING is more important than agonizing over equipment. I have lenses worth over $2000 and lenses worth barely $200, and they are both capable of producing outstanding images. The difference comes down to the capability of the photographer.

It's a little bit the fiddle, but much more who holds the bow!

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #28
Slke46
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
Go to the store, hold the cameras in your hands. The camera should be a natural extension of your body. The one that feels the best is the one to choose. Look at the controls, decide which layout you like the best.

In the sub $1000 range, including a lens, you're looking at a Canon XTi or the Nikon D40x. Both are outstanding cameras with a wide selection of excellent lenses. If you're looking at the sub $1000 for a body only, the Nikon D80 is tough to beat. If I'm not mistaken, the Canon options are all over $1000 that compete with the D80.

As for kit lenses, there are plenty of fine lenses out there. While I'm among the first to say the lens is more important than the body, just GETTING A CAMERA AND SHOOTING is more important than agonizing over equipment. I have lenses worth over $2000 and lenses worth barely $200, and they are both capable of producing outstanding images. The difference comes down to the capability of the photographer.

It's a little bit the fiddle, but much more who holds the bow!
Thanks for the advice, going to check out a couple stores this weekend and see which ones fit the criteria mentioned. I would really like to get a camera soon as the spring is soon approaching.
      01-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #29
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slke46 View Post
Thanks for the advice, going to check out a couple stores this weekend and see which ones fit the criteria mentioned. I would really like to get a camera soon as the spring is soon approaching.
Great! Good luck, and enjoy the shopping.

Something to think about when loooking at the camera controls - you'll chage the ISO, white balance and quality the most often. Ideally, you'll want to have these as buttons on the camera, as opposed scrolling through menus to get to them. I don't know that the D40x or the XTi offer these as direct access features, but if you can get them, they're nice. I know the D200 (Nikon) has these, but that's a bit out of your stated price range.

Also, Ritz / Wolf offer free classes with a DSLR purchase, as well as coupons for free enlargement. Their prices are right at MSRP (most any reputable retailer will be at MSRP, you should buy on service), but the extras are worth the money, especially if you are new to photography.

The internet places advertising rock bottom prices are a rip. They part out the package, charging extra for the batteries, charger, caps, strap, etc. and may even give you a gray market camera w/o telling you. STAY AWAY! I've had outstanding luck with Ritz (Wolf in some markets), Amazon, Adorama, and B&H Photo Video. There are also good local stores. Unless your trying to save on the sales tax, consider buying something like this locally. The follow up service can be important, and the classes from Ritz are great for people new to DSLR's.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 03:13 PM   #30
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I second Adorama, Amazon, & B&H Photo Video.

A lot of people like Ritz, often when you buy a new camera from them they'll thrown in some lessons.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 08:37 AM   #31
Slke46
Captain
Rep

Good info! I'll check those websites too when I've done my searching in-stores... I'll keep you guys updated, thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 10:54 AM   #32
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Check out Vistek.ca, Henrys, and The Camera Store, all on the internet.

A good way to shop for prices in Canada.

GL
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #33
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Check out Vistek.ca, Henrys, and The Camera Store, all on the internet.

A good way to shop for prices in Canada.

GL
ahhhhh.....missed that part! I have no idea about Canadian retailers. I s'pose Amazon has a Canadian division / ships to Canada?

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #34
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Warranty is the issue for US stuff, they won't warrant it in Canada.

Lens, no biggie but the camera might be more complicated.

The CDN price for Nikon is good and equal to the US. Canon charges alot more in Canada than the US.
Appreciate 0