BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

03-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

Advice on Temperatures for switching from Winter to Summer tires

Hello. I took delivery this January. From day one, I have had Blizzaks on. I am looking at the average temperatures and wondering when do other ppl make the switch from winter to summer tires?

It's my daily driver and I often drive late at night, so I would have to consider both highs and lows.

In Fort Collins, CO, by the end of April, the average high is about 60F (16C), average low is about 35F (2C). Is 60F too warm for Blizzaks? Is 35F too low for Pzeros?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

The problem in Colorado is the temperature variance. Ideally once recurring temps are above 50, you make the switch. A couple problems with that here: 1) Temp range is crazy - can be below zero to above 70 within the space of less than a week, and 2) very likely to get meaningful snowfall late into April. I've been daily driving M3s with snows for over 8 years now and I always find it hard to put on summers much before mid-April, even though the warm days before that are murder on soft snows. Unless you are willing to swap back in time for late season snow storms, I don't know any other way than to live with the excess wear.

An example of switching too early. Yoko AD08s are a little rough in the snow! (This was April 23rd last year...)

03-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

Late April snow == BARF. I guess I have been spoiled living in Tucson, AZ for the last 5 years. I mean, I like the snow, but once I've tasted 60-70F, I've mentally switched over from winter to spring/summer.

Yea, I guess I'll have to consider either second half of April or first week in May. Since I only have one set of wheels, once I switch, they're on until next winter ;-) If it really turns out to be a hassle, next winter I'll have to consider a second set of wheels.

Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

The theoretical cutoff/switch temp is 7C. However, I think you're very smart to consider your amount of night time driving when deciding when to switch. I'd probably err on the side of caution and keep the Blizzaks on for an extra couple of weeks until the night time temps rise to about 5-6C on a regular basis. Just don't drive the Blizzaks too hard when it's above 7-10C during the day.

Freak snow happens everywhere in April... can't predict it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robackja View Post
Since I only have one set of wheels, once I switch, they're on until next winter ;-) If it really turns out to be a hassle, next winter I'll have to consider a second set of wheels.
I have a separate set of wheels for my Blizzaks. I highly recommend going that route as it takes only a few minutes to switch out your setup if you discover it's going to be a beautiful weekend followed by snow - ala right now. That's what I did -was out at the track Saturday and the Blizzaks are back on today.
Appreciate 0