E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Front axle support bracket

01-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #23
blown07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Question for people who have the passenger side support bracket removed or replaced, does it have a real bearing on it that the axle rides on, or is it just supporting the axle by the seal lips that is on the outside entrance of it?
Just replaced mine and yes it has a ball bearing (cage type bearing) that is pressed into the bracket. The axle simply slides through the inner race.

335xi FBO,Meth,JB4,Sutphin flash,VTT stage1 11.38 1/4 - 7.30 1/8th - 3.35 0 to 60 @ 0C
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:17 PM   #24
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Thanks, I may end up having to do what you did. I have some low growl/chatter/whining noise that comes up after driving a while. I am waiting it to become louder so I can diagnose exactly what is causing, but my current guess is, it is the front differential. I would be debating to change that bracket also when the time comes due to its bearing. I hope it will last till spring, don't want to work on it at cold.

By the way looking at different sections in the Bentley manual, the torx bolts that secure drive shaft from transfer case to the front differential are 15 ft/lb plus 45 degrees. The torque lists at the drive shaft section seems confusing, I found at the transfer case section they list it more clearly.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #25
kaw900r
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Almost done

Finally got back under it today pulled out old and put in new. Lined up sub frame and motor mounts, connected rear shaft. Will finish up tomorrow morning. I did get a new O ring and your pics really helped. t/u
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 07:10 AM   #26
kaw900r
Private
Rep

Leak

Noticed some fluid under car. Think either o-ring pinched or something. Well i guess i will be tearing it back down again tomorrow. Maybe it's the seal on the bracket since i didn't replace it cause i wasn't actually aware of it. Hope to have it done by Saturday. Should i try a little rtv on it where it connects to oil pan? t/u
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #27
ucdbiendog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

it looks like that plate was sealed with some kind of RTV, but haven't been able to find which one anywhere
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 04:57 PM   #28
kaw900r
Private
Rep

Oil pan

Turns out I have a hair line crack in my oil pan where it connects to the differential. Nothing like having fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 10:21 AM   #29
TSRxi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Dinan 2

Plate behind support bracket

I am in the process of changing my front diff seals. I got the axles out and removed the support bracket, I got new o rings and seals. This plate that is sealed with silicon or heavy duty (like the "right stuff" permetex) is hard to tell if the leak I had was from the O ring or this plate.

I do not see any leaks on o ring seal from the actual diff to the oil pan. Given a lot more work to get the diff out and my suspicions that my diff maybe on its way out... I am going to hold off on changing the O ring on that side.

Has anyone removed the plate behind the bracket and re sealed it with a sealer? I am concerned that my leak may have been here as I did not smell a gear oil smell when I examined the oil that was leaking.

I cleaned everything and its been sitting as waiting for some parts so I guess I can see if it has leaked since but cold is not a real test.

Also how can we tell when these diffs are about to fail. The Diff oil is drained and when I was spinning the pass side axle almost sounded like I could hear a clicking sound is this normal sound it makes with no oil etc.

I have a noise when driving but I am 90% sure its tire noise. Inside of tire is worn I think due to my bad lower control arm bushings that I replaced recently.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #30
blown07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSRxi View Post
I am in the process of changing my front diff seals. I got the axles out and removed the support bracket, I got new o rings and seals. This plate that is sealed with silicon or heavy duty (like the "right stuff" permetex) is hard to tell if the leak I had was from the O ring or this plate.

I do not see any leaks on o ring seal from the actual diff to the oil pan. Given a lot more work to get the diff out and my suspicions that my diff maybe on its way out... I am going to hold off on changing the O ring on that side.

Has anyone removed the plate behind the bracket and re sealed it with a sealer? I am concerned that my leak may have been here as I did not smell a gear oil smell when I examined the oil that was leaking.

I cleaned everything and its been sitting as waiting for some parts so I guess I can see if it has leaked since but cold is not a real test.

Also how can we tell when these diffs are about to fail. The Diff oil is drained and when I was spinning the pass side axle almost sounded like I could hear a clicking sound is this normal sound it makes with no oil etc.

I have a noise when driving but I am 90% sure its tire noise. Inside of tire is worn I think due to my bad lower control arm bushings that I replaced recently.
When the diff oil was drained what color was it? Was it a sliver swirly color?
I just bough a Chassis Ear to chase a noise in my front end...waiting for it to warm up to try it.

335xi FBO,Meth,JB4,Sutphin flash,VTT stage1 11.38 1/4 - 7.30 1/8th - 3.35 0 to 60 @ 0C
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #31
TSRxi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Dinan 2

diff ok. Remove Plate and reseal

So good news is that my diff seems ok. I think most of my oil leak was engine oil leaking from the plate behind the right side bearing support. This plate is not easy to get off, the sealer that BMW uses in the factory is like permetex "the right stuff" with the high heat of the N54 after 70k miles this stuff was like concrete. It took a lot of care and patience to break the seal off the engine. then it took a solid hour to clean off the oil sealer. I was very liberal with the "right stuff" sealer when I put it back together. no leaks.

Bottom line is if you have your axles out to change the seals I recommend taking off the plate and resealing. Now I am 100% leak free.

Also running JZW stage 1 with e40.... scary fast
Appreciate 0