E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > New owner of 2011 335d M-Sport - looking for mods, tips, etc.!

12-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #23
runbyu1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Sig Testing. How do I get my picture to show up!??
2011 335D M-Sport: Nav, Cold Weather, Harmon Kardon L7 Premium. Mods: Full M3 Interior & M3 Rear Spoiler, JBD Tuner, Carbon Fiber Front Lip Splitters, LED Angel Eyes, K&N Filter, LED Interior Lights, Carbon Fiber Door Handle & Key Entry Accents.

Last edited by runbyu1; 12-28-2014 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: Avatar
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #24
gtp900
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D, 2015 35d mspor

Quote:
Originally Posted by runbyu1 View Post
What is the upkeep on the meth kits like? How expensive on a monthly basis?
Not really any upkeep other than refilling tank. Cost is minimal, a lot of people run windshield washer fluid,(1-2? Gal p/month depending on driving style and nozzle size) I have a 55gal barrel of 100% methanol that I mix with distilled water. I have had it for almost 2 years and it's not even half gone yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:11 PM   #25
runbyu1
Private
United_States
Rep

Might be a dumb question, but I have someone here willing to do a tune for me for cheap to get his business started and use me as an example. (Just moved here from Europe...tuning diesels). If I get a tune, would it void my aftermarket warranty? Will the dealer know I have it tuned when I take it in for service?
2011 335D M-Sport: Nav, Cold Weather, Harmon Kardon L7 Premium. Mods: Full M3 Interior & M3 Rear Spoiler, JBD Tuner, Carbon Fiber Front Lip Splitters, LED Angel Eyes, K&N Filter, LED Interior Lights, Carbon Fiber Door Handle & Key Entry Accents.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:17 PM   #26
runbyu1
Private
United_States
Rep

Also, my saga with the emissions recall:
Called the local dealer and was told all recalls for my car had been done. I asked for a recall history by email and they said they would send...but didn't. Did the chat the next day and told the same thing. Told her about the recall and that the mandatory sticker wasn't there and there was no sign of the recall. She told me there were "no active recalls" for my car and that it has been done and that she would send the recall history that included the recall I was talking about and the other two recalls. She read them to me by name.
Today I drop the car off for service and speak to the service assistant. I told her about the recall and she gave me the same "there are no active recalls" line and that it surely had been done. I told her I never received the recall history and asked specifically for her to read the recall numbers that had been done on my car.
She read the other two but not the emissions recall number. I called her out and she said the recall wasn't for my car or wasn't in the date range. I showed her the printout I had highlighting that it was basically only for my car and within the date range at which point she confessed I was right and things were strange. I circled the picture of the new EGR in the recall papers and asked for a picture of this within my car after they look at the car tomorrow. We'll see how it goes...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 05:33 AM   #27
Stresspuppy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

New 2011 335d (non-sport) and first BMW here as well. Some great info in this thread already and I look forward to following.

Runbyu1 - I may have to ping you and compare notes. Sounds like you might be a step or two ahead of me.

Congrats to us both on great, fun cars!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 06:05 AM   #28
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Quote:
Si-335d What was the single best mod you did? I see you have the Wagner intercooler. Did you see mpg gains with this?
Best mod for power was the remap. Best mod for getting the power down was the quaife. The best mod for an exciting feel to the car was the sprint booster.

Mpg is totally subjective to how you drive. I easily get 45mpg on a run with all my mods and once achieved 50mpg, it was a boring experience I won't repeat.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 12:09 PM   #29
runbyu1
Private
United_States
Rep

Si-335d thanks for the info! Can you tell me what each of those upgrades cost? So I take it none of them negatively affected mpg's?

Welcome and congrats stresspuppy!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #30
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Quote:
Si-335d thanks for the info! Can you tell me what each of those upgrades cost? So I take it none of them negatively affected mpg's?

Welcome and congrats stresspuppy!
Mpg is how you drive. That said a modified car going flat out will use more fuel than an unmodified car as more power requires more fuel. Cruising mpg may even be higher on a modified car as the burn is more efficient.

I wouldn't get hung up on dictating which mods to do based on fuel economy.
As for cost of mods choose what mods you have on your wish list, get quotes, then work out what you can get with you budget now and what you can do later. That said. If you want a Wagner and a remap, get the Wagner fitted before you remap so as to achieve the best gains and not pay for the map to be tweaked again after fitting it. Same applies to exhaust, air filter and charge pipe
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #31
runbyu1
Private
United_States
Rep

Update: Dealer just called and the Active Tank for DEF has to be replaced as expected by me. Unexpectedly they had the part---first time I've heard of a dealer actually having one. The SA was surprised as well. $2000 for the job.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #32
runbyu1
Private
United_States
Rep

Got my car back finally...glad to be rid of the X1 loaner I had. The only thing I liked better about the 2015 was the shift knob.

I'm yet to get any other check engine lights so that is good. I however am getting much reduced gas mileage. Has this been typical after getting the active tank replaced? Or is it just doing a long regen? Is that typical after a replace???
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #33
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
I however am getting much reduced gas mileage. Has this been typical after getting the active tank replaced? Or is it just doing a long regen? Is that typical after a replace???
May have something to do with the cold weather you have been having along the Wasatch Front. Cold weather does mess with the mileage a bit.
Appreciate 0