F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > tough mudder
GetBMWParts

12-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

tough mudder

just signed up to do it in the coming chicago set.
anyone got any advice?

looking forward to the experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

Nice! I'm signed up for the same event. Did the last two up in Wisconsin, and they were a blast.

Advice:
-get a group of friends to do it with you, it's a team oriented course.
- stay away from long distance running
- sprints 2-3 days a week, increasing the distance each week. 50 yds,100 yd etc
- strength work the other days.

I didn't do any specific training for the event, just do crossfit 6 days a week.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [7.02]
I'd like to one day

but i'll be doing the warrior dash this year (about half as long)
      12-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Cingulus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 06 A3, 03 350Z TT,

Hey,

I have done 2 events and agree Crossfit is the best way to train for the physical part. The reality is there are things like the "ice tanks" and mud-hills and other obstacles you can't really train for those. Best advice is just go have fun.

Shaun
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Das_Stig
Rep
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan@IND View Post
Nice! I'm signed up for the same event. Did the last two up in Wisconsin, and they were a blast.

Advice:
-get a group of friends to do it with you, it's a team oriented course.
- stay away from long distance running
- sprints 2-3 days a week, increasing the distance each week. 50 yds,100 yd etc
- strength work the other days.

I didn't do any specific training for the event, just do crossfit 6 days a week.
maybe we see each other there! gonna try out your routine see if it works out, googling crossfit now lol
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Demetrius Joel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM/CR M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
did one in germany. honestly you dont have to kill yourself to prepare for this, unless of course your a complete coach potatoe. its not a race, so you can go at whatever pace you choose. like someone said before, its team oriented so try to get some freinds to sign up. its a blast, youll have a great time. take a go pro, if you dont youll regret it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
Motif
Gruppa krovi-na rukave
Rep
Drives: Something loud and heavy

Anyone doing the Miami event?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I didn't train at all and made it through just fine at the Vermont event (Mt.Snow) on Cinco de Mayo. The hardest part was just running up the mountain the entire time. A flat course would be a breeze. Distance training is completely unnecessary as the longest running stint is about 3/4mi. I will say that pulling myself over the Berlin walls was pretty tough after mile 5 or so. I LOVED it and had a blast doing it with my buddies from work. The feeling of accomplishment is the best part.

Tips: stay away from cotton and wear gloves. Under Armor is your friend.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Das_Stig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetrius Joel View Post
did one in germany. honestly you dont have to kill yourself to prepare for this, unless of course your a complete coach potatoe. its not a race, so you can go at whatever pace you choose. like someone said before, its team oriented so try to get some freinds to sign up. its a blast, youll have a great time. take a go pro, if you dont youll regret it.
definitely will bring a gopro, thanks for the advice! gonna see if i can get any of my friends to join up for it!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
Das_Stig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I didn't train at all and made it through just fine at the Vermont event (Mt.Snow) on Cinco de Mayo. The hardest part was just running up the mountain the entire time. A flat course would be a breeze. Distance training is completely unnecessary as the longest running stint is about 3/4mi. I will say that pulling myself over the Berlin walls was pretty tough after mile 5 or so. I LOVED it and had a blast doing it with my buddies from work. The feeling of accomplishment is the best part.

Tips: stay away from cotton and wear gloves. Under Armor is your friend.
for some reason i thought the runs were a lot longer, thats not too bad but i can see how after 5 miles a wall could be an issue haha. appreciate the advice on the cotton and the gloves.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Im also planning on doing the Mt. Snow (or Boston one if its there instead) this coming year in August. Im not in great shape at all (5'9" 180lbs) but see no reason i wouldnt be able to do it in a 4.5hr pace. My father in law and his buddies did it in 5 and change and said it wasnt bad. I plan on starting to really prep for it early spring with some general strength training and some wind sprints up and down some hills close by.
      12-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
Das_Stig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
Im also planning on doing the Mt. Snow (or Boston one if its there instead) this coming year in August. Im not in great shape at all (5'9" 180lbs) but see no reason i wouldnt be able to do it in a 4.5hr pace. My father in law and his buddies did it in 5 and change and said it wasnt bad. I plan on starting to really prep for it early spring with some general strength training and some wind sprints up and down some hills close by.
gotta do better than the father in law lol, don't want him to have that on you haha. but ya i'm sure its gonna be a fun experience which is the important thing, memories and all. good luck to ya.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
There are roughly 22 obstacles and, unless you're in the first group, there is a bit of standing around as others in front of you go through them. As the day goes by, that bottleneck and waiting times grow quite a bit so try to pick an early time. That also means less than a half mile between any obstacle. The running, if on flat ground, will be the easiest obstacle of the race. Don't forget, you're basically just jogging and laughing with your buddies so it goes by very quickly. I ran it with a dozen people, three of which are marathon runners and half of which are in pretty good shape. The three marathon runners sprinted the entire thing and finished in just over two hours. The rest of us finished in five hours.

It all sounds like a blast but you can definitely get hurt (hence the death waiver). We saw a girl with her leg bone sticking out of her skin and we were waved by the shock wires at the finish line because a guy mangled his knee and was getting medical attention.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das_Stig View Post
gotta do better than the father in law lol, don't want him to have that on you haha. but ya i'm sure its gonna be a fun experience which is the important thing, memories and all. good luck to ya.
Hes in the best shape of his life tehse days. Working with a trainer 3x a week and eating super healthy. I wish i had that motivation lol.
      03-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Oh... and dont get electrocuted in the junk! it wont feel good
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #16
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Im doing the one in Vegas in April

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #17
Das_Stig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
Hes in the best shape of his life tehse days. Working with a trainer 3x a week and eating super healthy. I wish i had that motivation lol.
word.. think i just had a bag of chips for breakfast, prob should start trying to get ready for this thing haha
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #18
Das_Stig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Denver View Post
Oh... and dont get electrocuted in the junk! it wont feel good
i will fashion a rubber cup to protect by boys.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #19
Das_Stig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Im doing the one in Vegas in April
good luck! let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #20
boostedM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

I'll be doing the one in Charlotte this November I think. I need to get my ass in shape. Idk if I will be able to this year, but one year I want to do Tough Mudder, Savage, 7 Summits, Spartan, and Zombie. They are all basically the same thing, but each with their own twist.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #21
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das_Stig View Post
good luck! let us know how it goes!
Def will do!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #22
Das_Stig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedM View Post
I'll be doing the one in Charlotte this November I think. I need to get my ass in shape. Idk if I will be able to this year, but one year I want to do Tough Mudder, Savage, 7 Summits, Spartan, and Zombie. They are all basically the same thing, but each with their own twist.
thats pretty crazy, i got this in may and just realized today when i saw this post i should maybe try to get ready for it lol, good luck with yours
Appreciate 0