BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
UTurnFactory
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008.06 E93 M3

Question Generic question about tunes: I'm going in for BMW service, but...

About 5 months ago I got a BPM tune from Mike Benvo for my 2008 E93 M3 6MT. Needless to say, I'm very happy with it and would like to keep it for the life of my car. It included a package for my HFC xpipe w/ secondary cats deleted, in addition to the "Servotronic tweak" that he does for the BPM tunes.

Now for the generic question, which I would think applies to any tune for the Siemens device in any E9X M3:

I'm going in for some service at a big BMW dealership (JMK BMW) staffed with the standard, factory-trained Service Advisors/BMW techs - at what point should I be concerned that they'd discover or otherwise overwrite the flashed tune? Should I explicitly tell them not to flash the stock firmware during service?

Being a 2008 M3, it's out of factory warranty, and I don't have a CPO on it. But for purposes of being useful to others in the forum, it'd be helpful to also provide tips on what to do if the car did have its new car warranty.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTurnFactory View Post
About 5 months ago I got a BPM tune from Mike Benvo for my 2008 E93 M3 6MT. Needless to say, I'm very happy with it and would like to keep it for the life of my car. It included a package for my HFC xpipe w/ secondary cats deleted, in addition to the "Servotronic tweak" that he does for the BPM tunes.

Now for the generic question, which I would think applies to any tune for the Siemens device in any E9X M3:

I'm going in for some service at a big BMW dealership (JMK BMW) staffed with the standard, factory-trained Service Advisors/BMW techs - at what point should I be concerned that they'd discover or otherwise overwrite the flashed tune? Should I explicitly tell them not to flash the stock firmware during service?

Being a 2008 M3, it's out of factory warranty, and I don't have a CPO on it. But for purposes of being useful to others in the forum, it'd be helpful to also provide tips on what to do if the car did have its new car warranty.

They will not overwrite the tune unless you ask for the software to be updated. You are out of warranty and it is a big liability to them to do it, if a module goes out during flashing they are on the hook for it.
It can be time consuming for them also because I had a buddie get his updated, it dod not take and the car sat dead for 3 days while they got the FSC codes from germany. All this time they are losing money. You will find on here from other posts that they do nto like to update software unless they have a good reason to.
Furthermore you are probably on 240 from Benvo, you can have older car software but updated DME. The dealer does not have the ability to update certain modules, well some can but they dont.
Bottom line is if they wipe your tune out just put it back on. If you dont have the tune Benvo will be more than happy to help you out.
      02-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #3
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTurnFactory View Post

Always feel free to email or PM us for help!

Given that you're out warranty, I wouldn't worry about it. It's highly unlikely that they would program your car unless something merits programming. As Kawasaki said, they like to avoid this if at all possible.

Is this visit for routine service?

Best way to check if the car is tuned is to look for things that they would likely never notice. If you had the cold start turned off, a dead giveaway that they've programmed it would be a much louder startup.

The easiest method to determine if the tune is still present, is checking for the enhanced cold oil RPM protection. When you start the car in the morning, you'll notice the RPM limiter at 6,500 rather than 4,500 if they overwrote the software.

In any event, loading the software takes less than ten minutes with your computer - so if they do happen to flash it for whatever reason, we can help you put it back quite easily. On a side note, we've never heard of a single instance of our software being detected by the dealership.

Glad you are enjoying the tune, and let us know if you need any help.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
UTurnFactory
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008.06 E93 M3

Perfect! Thanks to both for the helpful responses. My M3 is going in for routine service, and this helps me understand what to look for if they do happen to overwrite the software.

And Mike - I am absolutely 100% happy with the tune I bought from you! I've been preaching its benefits to all my buddies here in the tri-state area.

Do you do tunes for non-M vehicles? Specifically, a 2010 Z4 35is, a 2011 X6 50i, and a 2014 640i Gran Coupe?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 10:37 PM   #5
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTurnFactory
Perfect! Thanks to both for the helpful responses. My M3 is going in for routine service, and this helps me understand what to look for if they do happen to overwrite the software.

And Mike - I am absolutely 100% happy with the tune I bought from you! I've been preaching its benefits to all my buddies here in the tri-state area.

Do you do tunes for non-M vehicles? Specifically, a 2010 Z4 35is, a 2011 X6 50i, and a 2014 640i Gran Coupe?
We sure do, everything you listed but the 640. Were finishing up the 650 software now... And also we do X5M and X6M etc.

Once we finish the 50i motors in the F series cars, we'll move onto the 640, F30 N20 and N55 software.

Thanks!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0