ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
ryushe
PermaGrin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Tweeter replacement / Other Question

Hi there,

Since a few days my passenger side (that would be the right hand side for those of you that drive on the wrong side of the road) tweeter has been acting up. When the volume is cranked up, the tweeter will simply start to cut out, making the audio sound rather dull. I've been wanting to pull the tweeter out of it's housing to have a look at it; it might be just a broken/damaged tweeter. Worst case would be the amp, but seeing as the other door speakers work fine and I've been told they're wired in with the tweeter, I'm not yet convinced this is the case.
So, how to remove and crack open the little plastic triangular bit and check the speaker? Just to be sure, it's the red circled one I'm interested in.

In other news, I have an AUX in which I'm very happy with. Sound quality is great! Now I bought a little remote control set from Kensington for my iPhone (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product) that allows me to connect my iPhone via a standard ipod connector to both the AUX in port and the cigarette lighter for power. However, every time I try this, I get an audible hum or buzz. When I simply use a stereo cable to connect the iPhone to the AUX, it works fine. Other chargers when plugged in to the phone also produce the hum. So I'm guessing it has something to do with the cigarette lighter plug. Anyone else have this or any suggestions?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
ryushe
PermaGrin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

So I found out how to pull the speaker; it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Ordered a replacement one (beware: the price got bumped from 63 USD to around 110 USD - just for ONE tweeter!!!) and installed it, but it didn't make one bit of difference. Gave the new one back and reinstalled the old one as it didn't seem to matter one bit!
So, my question has changed.

The tweeter channel still acts up, but as I now have determined it's NOT the actual speaker but more seems to be the output going to the tweeter, I'm pretty much back at square one trying to figure it out.
I asked one of the mechanics at the dealer and they say it can be as simple as damp in the door or a snagged wire, or it might even be the amplifier itself, which would be a costly business! Where is the amplifier anyways? In the booth or behind the radio? It's tyhe top-hifi system with DSP.
How can I test for any of this without ripping the car apart? I can handle easy things, but I'm not overly technical enough to troubleshoot this.

Thanks!
      07-03-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

hi, even though I sold my Z4, Its good I log in to see if I can still help out. As in the case here.

For the location of the amp, its best to state what type of stereo you have, being the basic, the premium or the carver/business class system.

For my car with the Carver system (and I think with the premium as well) the amp for the stereo is right beside the battery, basically you have to pull off that rectangular cover lying flat between your tail-lights in your trunk. From there the amp sits upright parallel to your battery. Hopefully its not that as that would be VERY costly to replace with a new one, probably several hundred dollars at least. You can opt to find a used one from a bmw wrecker (try www.car-part.com for that) but its tough to say.

There wouldn't be a loose wire, as then the tweeter would cut out very sporadically, not just when the stereo is cranked. Much would be he same with the dampness, as in if the new tweeter didn't do anything I cant see this being the case.

Which leads me to believe if it isn't the amp itself, there may be a crossover. Whereas the amp sends a full range audio single, and the sound is broken up via a crossover.
I'd call the parts department and see if there is in fact a crossover between the amp and the tweeter, since I'd assume you have a blown component in the crossover itself, such as a fried resistor or the like, or perhaps a faulty solder.

Its tough to say, as I've never dabbled with the full range or tweeters in my car so Im going by experience that I have from other cars, but its worth a check.
Let me know what you find out and we'll go from there.
      03-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
radhat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 Red

Garage List
BUMP.
This is on the same lines as what is happening to me. Would've loved to hear what the final outcome was.
Mine is cutting out as well.
03 Z3 Business CD w/ DSP (Concert, Church, Jazzclub).
At first it was thought to be a tweeter that was out, but that has proven to be false.
I'm starting to lean towards one of the speakers behind the drivers side (because that the side that seems to cut out), because the driver side bass seems to cut out when the bass drum (kick drum possibily) hits in quick succession such as in "Highway to Hell" or "I can't drive 55".
Any ideas would be appreicated (think I might be in for taking it to a BMW Dealer)
Appreciate 0