E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Intake Change

10-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
E90Brad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: SQ5

Intake Change

I've gone from a DCI to a Simota n54 intake and have noticed two things so far:

I'm making more boost. I have a rix p3 vent gauge so I usually monitor peak boost after WOT with the peak recall button. I typically saw values around the 13.2 - 14.3 psi level. With the simota intake, I saw 15.1 to 16.2 psi.

Oil temps climb faster and stay longer. I have recently installed a Stett stg 2 oil cooler. I left the foglights out and I am in a cooler climate so my oil temps arent that high. Reaches about 100 c in the city and 80c on the highway using the dci (210f and 180f respectively for Americans). With the Simota intake, I saw oil temps reach 110 c (about 220f) in city driving. I will update this when I drive home on the highway Monday and after additional city driving.

Not sure of the causes behind either two observations. Car is modded with the intake, a stage 2 ecu tune, stett oil cooler (with thermostat) and a cpe intercooler. I also have a vorsteiner vented hood on it.

Overall I am quite happy with the intake. I have lost the incredible whooshing sounds from the dci so I could list that as a draw back. Sounds from the diverter valves from letting off the throttle also seem less pronounced.

I'll update with pictures of the new intake.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNU...Q3Jp5G4lSkGdKQ
Appreciate 0