BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
EFI Logics
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 135i, 08 535Xi

Wavetrac, Ferodo DS2500, Motul Fluid Install/Review

Just recently we completed installing the below items into the EFI 135i:
  • Wavetrac ATB limited slip differential
    -OEM BMW gear fluid
    -2 Brand new BMW differential output seals (1 per axel shaft)
  • Ferodo DS2500 brake pads
  • Motul RBF 600 brake fluid

First up we did the brakes. They came out quickly and easily. The rotors still have life in them so I decided to only swap the pads and fluid. Naturally, I choose the Ferodo DS2500s after having used them in different platforms I knew this pad would be a good choice for balanced street and HPDE/AutoX driving. We made sure to bevel down the edges of the brake pad for smooth initial engagement. This helps to eliminate the noise upon first use. The OEM fluid definitely had to go after having been in the car for some time in favor of the Motul RBF 600 fluid. Its boiling point is resilient enough to withstand high temperatures and provide good feel for the pads, which it does very well.

After the brakes were taken care it was time for the differential. Using the uniquely sized wrench (I believe 52mm), we removed the rear end from the car and sent the differential to Autotech Driveline in Florida. **********s supplied the differential through their installation kit and partnered with Autotech in which they separate the ring gear using CNC machinery. The gear is then machined, tapped and threaded to match up with the Wavetrac differential. The differential is fastened to the new OEM gear using 10 ARP ring gear bolts. After completing the job the differential was then sent back to us for reinstallation back into the car. The only thing to note is the differential needs 2 new seals (BMW Part # 33 10 7 505 605 for my 08 manual 135i) in order to be reinstalled back into the car. I used OEM BMW fluid (filled in Castrol containers from BMW) because that is what was recommended by Wavetrac. You are not limited to only BMW fluid though.

Driving Results:

I choose this setup to be able to withstand HPDE aggressive braking and increase rear end track in all situations. It made a massive improvement in all situations requiring rear end grip such as off the line pulls, launches and powering out of low-speed corners! Simply put, the Wavetrac differential is the best improvement I have made. No doubt… It is absolutely awesome. Drifting is so much easier now in comparison to the factory open differential. Beforehand I felt I had to use the weight of the car aggressively to be able to get a slide going. In my mind, that’s a slide and not a drift in which you can use the power to get the rear end to rotate. I admit though that due to the increased rear end grip and control gained from the differential the rear end now feels softer. That’s why I picked up the Powerflex rear subframe inserts in advance, but those have yet to go in.

These pads are definitely up for some abuse. They are super smooth, they engage nicely and I feel you can control the pad pressure really nicely. If you let off the brakes just a bit after approaching a turn hard, the pad will release easily. They dust about the same levels as stock. You can’t really expect less from a pad that will withstand higher temperatures, more aggressive use, provide better feel and remain quiet. However, they do make an slightly audible click when go you from forward to reverse, or at a hill, because they tap within the caliper. They do not fit as flawlessly as factory but it is so quiet and hardly noticeable that it doesn’t bother me the slightest bit.

Thank you Elliott at **********s for you working with me to get this completed!

Next Up:

Install some last minute bits and hit up Pocono and NJMP!

Here are some pictures:

NOTE: I didn't do Eibach springs as well. They were just in the shot.

-Josh
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Nice work Josh! I have the Dinan unit, which is also the wavetrac and it's been great. Problem free! Interesting that you chose the powerflex bushing inserts vs the full replacement parts. I've done bothe, the M parts and the powerflex. Given the opportunity to do it again, I would take the powerflex pieces due to the installation being way easier. It'll be a night and day difference at the track for sure! Enjoy!
Edit: I also run the 2500s great pads, but they rattle/clunk in the calipers on load reversal after a little use as a dd. Great bite all the time, nice choice!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
EFI Logics
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
Nice work Josh! I have the Dinan unit, which is also the wavetrac and it's been great. Problem free! Interesting that you chose the powerflex bushing inserts vs the full replacement parts. I've done bothe, the M parts and the powerflex. Given the opportunity to do it again, I would take the powerflex pieces due to the installation being way easier. It'll be a night and day difference at the track for sure! Enjoy!
Edit: I also run the 2500s great pads, but they rattle/clunk in the calipers on load reversal after a little use as a dd. Great bite all the time, nice choice!
Thanks, that's exactly why I went with the Powerflex alternative. They're just far easier to install and give you 80% of what the M3 replacements will give you.

-Josh
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Hope you like your Ferodo brake pad. I start to dislike mine since it clunks and squeak a lot, but the performance is good though. Next time, I will try out Cool Carbon or may be even swithc back to OEM.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Logics View Post
Thanks, that's exactly why I went with the Powerflex alternative. They're just far easier to install and give you 80% of what the M3 replacements will give you.

-Josh
The inserts will give that much of an improvement, or the complete replacement parts?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
EFI Logics
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
The inserts will give that much of an improvement, or the complete replacement parts?
The inserts will make a clearly noticeable difference at the limit, as well the M3 replacements. The full M3 replacements will deflect less than the factory bushings with the Powerflex inserts providing better control. Is the difference worth it? To some people, sure. The Powerflex inserts will be sufficient for my needs.

-Josh
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Nice writeup! I think I'm gonna go with the Ferodos based on this review and on your recommendation from your PM a little while ago. This coming week I'll order my stuff and call EFI to hook up an appointment, hopefully for the following week. Even if the Ferodo pads squeak eventually, I can live with it. I just don't want MORE dust. How is the initial bite on them compared to OEM? I know you said it's smooth, but I've heard the cool carbons don't hit very hard at all at first, and I kind of like having the moderate amount of bite of the OEM pads at first. Makes it feel more confident, even if I have to be careful not to be jerky in every day driving.

How was the install on the powerflex inserts? I've been holding off on doing M3 subframe bushings in the back for a long time now, because I've always heard that it's a pain even just to install those because you gotta drop the whole subframe. Is it the same for those bushings? Obviously I'm interested in you guys doing the install if I'm gonna be up there anyway, but I don't know whether to get the powerflex stuff if the install time/cost isn't bad, or if I should go by my original plan, which was to wait until I save up for an LSD and rear sway bar as well so that I don't have to spend a lot on labor twice just to access the rear...

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
EFI Logics
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Nice writeup! I think I'm gonna go with the Ferodos based on this review and on your recommendation from your PM a little while ago. This coming week I'll order my stuff and call EFI to hook up an appointment, hopefully for the following week. Even if the Ferodo pads squeak eventually, I can live with it. I just don't want MORE dust. How is the initial bite on them compared to OEM? I know you said it's smooth, but I've heard the cool carbons don't hit very hard at all at first, and I kind of like having the moderate amount of bite of the OEM pads at first. Makes it feel more confident, even if I have to be careful not to be jerky in every day driving.

How was the install on the powerflex inserts? I've been holding off on doing M3 subframe bushings in the back for a long time now, because I've always heard that it's a pain even just to install those because you gotta drop the whole subframe. Is it the same for those bushings? Obviously I'm interested in you guys doing the install if I'm gonna be up there anyway, but I don't know whether to get the powerflex stuff if the install time/cost isn't bad, or if I should go by my original plan, which was to wait until I save up for an LSD and rear sway bar as well so that I don't have to spend a lot on labor twice just to access the rear...
The Ferodo pads aren't as "grabby" feeling as the OEM pads, but that doesn't mean they feel like you're stepping on a sponge. They require a little more pedal effort at first. In my opinion, well worth the trade off in order to get some aggressive stopping power.

The Powerflex inserts aren't in just yet. I will be putting them in next week sometime, but they are a bit easier to install than the M3 replacements. Give us a call if you would like a quote. I would recommend doing the LSD, sway and subframe all at once because it will definitely save on labor and having to realign the rear end. If you look under the rear you will see a lot needs to happen to get everything installed and dialed in.

-Josh
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Are these inserts for the OEM rear sub-frame bushings?
Link to Buy & info please. Any reviews/stats

How much labour does it save?

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is

Last edited by andrey_gta; 07-24-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
EFI Logics
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
Are these inserts for the OEM rear sub-frame bushings?
Link to Buy & info please. Any reviews/stats

How much labour does it save?
Yes, they are for use with the OEM rear subframe bushings. I have not installed them yet, but I will be doing so next week.

**********s sells them:
http://www.**********s.com/PowerFlex...8-1-Series.htm

-Josh
Appreciate 0