F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > How does this work?
Studio RSR

12-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

How does this work?

As you will likely know, you're quite welcome to turn the engine off whilst in D with the automatic transmission, and it will revert to P itself.
And as some of you will know, if you leave the leaver in M/S (DS) it will also go back to P and move the stick itself!

But what is that actually moves the selector back to it's fully upright position? Have they installed a little electric motor purely for that purpose?

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Humm, I always thought they stuffed a little gnome in the shifter just for this!

A motor would be overkill, they probably just energize an electromagnet to move it back. No extra moving parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Nice observation SomeRandomer123, probably never would have experienced this myself. That's why this forum is here
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123
As you will likely know, you're quite welcome to turn the engine off whilst in D with the automatic transmission, and it will revert to P itself.
And as some of you will know, if you leave the leaver in M/S (DS) it will also go back to P and move the stick itself!

But what is that actually moves the selector back to it's fully upright position? Have they installed a little electric motor purely for that purpose?

Molecular biology
      12-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
Humm, I always thought they stuffed a little gnome in the shifter just for this!

A motor would be overkill, they probably just energize an electromagnet to move it back. No extra moving parts.
Electromagnet is a good call. It buzzes briefly before it moves so perhaps the charging of the electromagnet?

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Garage List
Whoa! You guys in the UK still listen to Nickelback?
      12-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdither View Post
Ha, "How You Remind Me" is classic Nickelback!

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdither View Post
Not all of us - honestly!!
      12-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
3Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Wow. Someone just made a video of their shifter moving to Park, posted it on YouTube and we all watched it!

It is cool, though, and I have no clue as to how it works.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123

From an engineering standpoint, this is called a "stateless" system.

The main idea is that no matter what configuration, the the physical levers and buttons are not in any particular state such as "on," "off," "Drive," "Reverse," and so on.

The beauty of a stateless button, switch, or lever is that its function can be controlled via software as well as a human.

Another example is the volume control on the radio--on your BMW it is stateless. In other words it is not set to any particular volume level. In fact, it is impossible to tell if the volume is hi or low just by looking at the knob.

So, the beauty of the stateless system is that when you turn off your car while it is in drive, the computer can throw the car into park.

The turn signals levers are stateless too. Old analog cars would have a turn signal that would stay locked into the position you placed it into. However, the BMW stalk is stateless. Once you indicate where you want to turn, the stalk pops back to the neutral position. As such, at lease for me, the operation of the stateless turn signal stalk takes a while to get used to if you are familiar with the operation of older cars. My old 2005 750li didn't have this down...I can't tell you the number of times I would unintentionally indicate I was turning in the opposite direction of where I was going due to the goofy BMW design. The newer 750li and 5xx series do not have the problem.

Basically, when you went to turn off the turn signal, the detent was too soft and you could skip right past the neutral position and end up signing the opposite direction. BMW fixed this by making a much firmer middle detent.

Now, BMW had a conundrum. The shift gate that takes you to sport or manual would present a problem if it were not stateless. So, the system designers had to install a solenoid or similar device that can be controlled by the computer. Otherwise, the system would be in "park" while the shifter was in the manual/sport state.

So, technically, the shift gate isn't stateless. Why? Because you can tell that it is in manual/sport just by examination. However, the solenoid or other contraption emulates a stateless environment by moving the shift gate back to its normal position. No, it doesn't move the lever into park (since it is stateless)...it just moves the lever out of the sport/manual gate.

I find stateless systems to be fascinating. It is a really cool way of engineering because a stateless environment can be controlled remotely.

Finally, as of today, the steering wheel isn't stateless. But, someday it might be! Can you imagine what life would be like driving a car where there is no physical linkage between the steering wheel and the actual steering mechanism?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post

The main idea is that no matter what configuration, the the physical levers and buttons are not in any particular state such as "on," "off," "Drive," "Reverse," and so on.

The beauty of a stateless button, switch, or lever is that its function can be controlled via software as well as a human.

Another example is the volume control on the radio--on your BMW it is stateless. In other words it is not set to any particular volume level. In fact, it is impossible to tell if the volume is hi or low just by looking at the knob.

So, the beauty of the stateless system is that when you turn off your car while it is in drive, the computer can throw the car into park.

The turn signals levers are stateless too. Old analog cars would have a turn signal that would stay locked into the position you placed it into. However, the BMW stalk is stateless. Once you indicate where you want to turn, the stalk pops back to the neutral position. As such, at lease for me, the operation of the stateless turn signal stalk takes a while to get used to if you are familiar with the operation of older cars. My old 2005 750li didn't have this down...I can't tell you the number of times I would unintentionally indicate I was turning in the opposite direction of where I was going due to the goofy BMW design. The newer 750li and 5xx series do not have the problem.

Basically, when you went to turn off the turn signal, the detent was too soft and you could skip right past the neutral position and end up signing the opposite direction. BMW fixed this by making a much firmer middle detent.

Now, BMW had a conundrum. The shift gate that takes you to sport or manual would present a problem if it were not stateless. So, the system designers had to install a solenoid or similar device that can be controlled by the computer. Otherwise, the system would be in "park" while the shifter was in the manual/sport state.

So, technically, the shift gate isn't stateless. Why? Because you can tell that it is in manual/sport just by examination. However, the solenoid or other contraption emulates a stateless environment by moving the shift gate back to its normal position. No, it doesn't move the lever into park (since it is stateless)...it just moves the lever out of the sport/manual gate.

I find stateless systems to be fascinating. It is a really cool way of engineering because a stateless environment can be controlled remotely.

Finally, as of today, the steering wheel isn't stateless. But, someday it might be! Can you imagine what life would be like driving a car where there is no physical linkage between the steering wheel and the actual steering mechanism?
How can you write this much about a gear stick moving slightly more up right?! Haha, very good though, and you make a good point! Is it Lexus working on a stateless steering wheel system? Or Nissan? I forget, but one of them is making a "steer by wire" system, with a solid connection that will erm... connect... if the system fails.

Or it could be Infiniti...

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post

I show my passengers the lever move and they have nice little chuckle. I have never thought about what makes it return to the default position.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
I show my passengers the lever move and they have nice little chuckle. I have never thought about what makes it return to the default position.
It is rather comical in the way it moves

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

I learned more in this thread than I did all day at work today. Time to find more stateless systems.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post

Post of the week imo
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #16
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

On the other hand, if the ignition is off u cannot move the stick to M/S position.
Appreciate 0