BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-25-2014, 04:50 AM   #1
tmaroufi
BOSS
Rep
Drives: N55 135i

Oxygen Sensor Restrictor

Just got a catless DP from AR designs, and I'm looking to find a "fix" to prevent the CEL from going off. I have a tune, which clears the codes, but my vehicle is still under both 50K and CPO warranty; therefore, I am still getting warranty work on the car . Yet to my dismay, with this DP, I don't want the CEL raising questions at my dealership about codes flying this way and that. I have seen many DIY and also heard of the BMS DP Fix; however, it no longer exists.. for the N55 engine, or I pretty much can't find shit. I found this link floating through random threads (credit to Black E) and was wondering if anyone has tried this and the results they've gotten. Any and all info is great, especially DIY with spark plug flanges.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=1605
2011 135i Coupé / Cobb Stage 2 Sport / AR Design 4" Hi-Flo Catless Downpipes / Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipe / BMW Performance Exhaust / BMW N55 Mid-Pipes / BMW LCI "Black-Lines" / BMW Black Kidney Grilles / Carbon Fiber Diffuser / 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 05:44 AM   #2
BMist371
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Vert

O2 defoulers and spark plug flanges dont work on the N55. Many have tried it. There is currently no fix that allows your car's computer to go into a state of readiness with an N55 and downpipes on. Defoulers dont work because the sensors are so sensitive, they even trip with too much oxygen. The N55 community really needs someone to step up and fix this.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
RaceTruk
Major
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

the BMS dpfix never worked for the N55.
there is no fix.
as long as the warranty work is nothing engine related you will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
Fed P
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

In my opinion, if you are planning to take off the downpipes whenever you go in for servicing, then the auto-clear is fine. You change back to stock, clear the codes, and wait for the problem code to reappear. If you are not planning to take off the downpipes (e.g. your dealer is fine with them), then the codes shouldn't matter either.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
tmaroufi
BOSS
Rep

Damn that sucks! I figured the at least the BMS fix worked for the N55, and now I'm hesitant to even bother trying to fool around with the O2 sensor unless there is someone who as actually done it and has worked on their 1er
2011 135i Coupé / Cobb Stage 2 Sport / AR Design 4" Hi-Flo Catless Downpipes / Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipe / BMW Performance Exhaust / BMW N55 Mid-Pipes / BMW LCI "Black-Lines" / BMW Black Kidney Grilles / Carbon Fiber Diffuser / 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
tmaroufi
BOSS
Rep

So I finally got my AR downpipes installed yesterday, and I used the Vibrant Oxygen Sensor Restrictor and still no CEL! I was running Cobb Stage 1, which doesn't clear the CEL from the O2 sensors. The Vibrant Restrictor fits great.. Not to mention my car SCREAMS now. Would def recommend this to everyone, cause even if its not a permanent fix (doesn't keep it off forever, it will long enough through your service appointment) Ill attach the link again below

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaroufi View Post
So I finally got my AR downpipes installed yesterday, and I used the Vibrant Oxygen Sensor Restrictor and still no CEL! I was running Cobb Stage 1, which doesn't clear the CEL from the O2 sensors. The Vibrant Restrictor fits great.. Not to mention my car SCREAMS now. Would def recommend this to everyone, cause even if its not a permanent fix (doesn't keep it off forever, it will long enough through your service appointment) Ill attach the link again below

how many miles did you drive? normal take a little bit to trip the cel. If its working i should look into this.
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 01:39 AM   #8
tmaroufi
BOSS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
how many miles did you drive? normal take a little bit to trip the cel. If its working i should look into this.
I got my DP installed yesteday and drove roughly 100 miles before it threw a code, tonight. It's forsure worth the $20 for that time buffer
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I drove with a catless downpipe and no tune or 02 spacer and it would only throw a code every couple of weeks. So not sure if the spacer is actually doing anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 05:04 AM   #10
tmaroufi
BOSS
Rep

Thats interesting @Nugget
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #11
1ness
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i 6MT

I am about to install a catted downpipe (200 cell) from HG Motorsport - also not sure what to do in case if I will get a CELL light (other then manually clearing it).

Is there any recommendation regarding sensor install? Haven't seen how it is all connected yet.

Also, does anybody have experience with AC Schnitzer on n55? Can it clear codes? (did not find info on that)

Would be good to get elegant solution for codes to clean them up when there is a need to, in the same time - not auto-clear other codes that would show that something really requires attention.
Appreciate 0