E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > picking up '11 335i coupe next week in Munich

04-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
DaveinSF
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i coupe

picking up '11 335i coupe next week in Munich

Hey Guys,

Great forum! I've been reading through the threads researching the new N55 engine and other changes slated for the new model.

I registered so that I can start posting here. I am picking up the car on the Euro Delivery program. It will be a 2011 335i coupe with the sport package and presumably the new N55 engine. I will be sure to let you know my impressions of the new car.

For the past 3 years I've been driving a 2007 335i sedan with the N54 engine, and it's been a great car. It is indeed very fast.

Before that, I had the 2006 330i with the 255hp valvetronic, non-turbo engine. It was a nice car and got great gas mileage (24.5 combined), but it did lack a certain amount of torque down low. It was quick enough.

Prior to that, I've had a 2003 Audi A6 2.7T, a 2000 A6 2.7T, and a 1997 328i. In some ways, that 328i was one of the best cars I've ever had. It was about as fast as the big Audis despite having significantly less horsepower. It was less plush, but handled better.

Of course, the fastest by far has been the 335i with the N54 engine. I hope that the new N55 isn't too disappointing in terms of performance. Very soon, I hope that I will have a better idea what it's like.

I almost got a 2010 135i with an N54 engine, and I hope that I don't regret not having gotten it.

Cheers,

Dave in SF
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
DaveinSF
Private
Rep

picked up 2011 335i (N55 engine)

We picked up the car on Thursday at the BMW Welt in Munich and I got to drive the car about 15 km to the dropoff point.

First off, European Delivery is SUCH a great experience, I would recommend it to anybody. It was easily the highlight of the trip, even for my wife. The Welt is amazing, and it was such an experience to pick up the car with a personal attendant.

My first question was if the N55 engine was less powerful than the N54, and if this 2011 335i would be as fast as my 2007 with the N54. The BMW representative assured us that it would be *faster*, with better mileage and better emissions...

... then she backtracked and stressed the better mileage and emissions. I got the impression that everyone at BMW is instructed to stress the efficiency and emissions over relative performance. At any rate, she wanted to assure me that the car is still fast.

It was my first and only time driving in Germany or the Autobahn, so I couldn't really open it up... besides, we had strict instructions to keep the RPMs below 4,500. Still, I was able to determine:

1. Even with the windows closed, the exhaust note seemsto be a LOT lower and grumblier than the N54. I don't think this engine is at all quieter than the N54, at least at idle and low RPMs. Since it was totally new, the idle was a bit rough, and it even stalled out on its own a couple times while driving down the ramp in the showroom. Yes, you literally drive the car out of the showroom on a special ramp yourself. Very cool.

2. On the road, the car does have significant torque, though I don't think that the thrust and oomph is as strong as in the N54. But the throttle response is better in that it has a instantaneous, immediate jump upon throttle input. It definitely must be the valvetronic, because that part feels a lot like the N52 engine that was in the 2006 330i (255hp). It feels jumpier and a bit revvier than the N54, at least upon initial throttle input. I really liked the N52 engine too, but felt that you had to flog it through the rev band somewhat to get really rapid acceleration.

3. Overall, the new N55 engine is definitely powerful enough. I wouldn't be surprised the new N55 cars aren't quite as fast as the N54s, but I wouldn't expect them to be too far behind. Since my engine was so new, it could still be a bit stiff, and I wouldn't be surprised if it limbers up and starts to perform better after several hundred miles. If I remember correctly, the same thing happened with the N54 when I first got it.

The interior features are almost exactly the same as before. I really like the new rims on mine (18" 342 rims on the non-M sport package). It was the first time that even our BMW associate had seen the rims. Otherwise, most exterior features and the entire interior remains almost exactly the same. The new LED eyebrow parking lights and rear LED brake lights are very subtle and nothing like the eyebrows on the new Audis. A lot of people don't like the new, wide front airdam on the new 335i coupes, and I can't say I'm wild about it either. But this body style is still one of the most attractive in BMW's lineup IMHO.

Last edited by DaveinSF; 04-18-2010 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

congrats on your european delivery 2011 335i. so you just picked the car up and dropped it off immediately? how long did you stay? did you go anywhere else?

i had my 2008 335i european delivery as well. however, i drove the car for 8 days and over 1000 miles before i dropped it off in rome, italy. i would highly recommend keeping the car longer to drive through some of the european countrysides. i drove from munich on the autobahn, to zurich, to interlaken, through the swiss alps, to florence, then finally to rome. it was an awesome experience and i am looking forward to doing it again when i make up my mind on the 2011 335i.

right now, the debate between N54 and N55 is still inconclusive. i need cold hard numbers on a dyno. plus, i want to see what tuners can do with the N55 before making a decision. i need to know its tuning potential before i go with the N55.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinSF View Post
We picked up the car on Thursday at the BMW Welt in Munich and I got to drive the car about 15 km to the dropoff point.

First off, European Delivery is SUCH a great experience, I would recommend it to anybody. It was easily the highlight of the trip, even for my wife. The Welt is amazing, and it was such an experience to pick up the car with a personal attendant.

My first question was if the N55 engine was less powerful than the N54, and if this 2011 335i would be as fast as my 2007 with the N54. The BMW representative assured us that it would be *faster*, with better mileage and better emissions...

... then she backtracked and stressed the better mileage and emissions. I got the impression that everyone at BMW is instructed to stress the efficiency and emissions over relative performance. At any rate, she wanted to assure me that the car is still fast.

It was my first and only time driving in Germany or the Autobahn, so I couldn't really open it up... besides, we had strict instructions to keep the RPMs below 4,500. Still, I was able to determine:

1. Even with the windows closed, the exhaust note seemsto be a LOT lower and grumblier than the N54. I don't think this engine is at all quieter than the N54, at least at idle and low RPMs. Since it was totally new, the idle was a bit rough, and it even stalled out on its own a couple times while driving down the ramp in the showroom. Yes, you literally drive the car out of the showroom on a special ramp yourself. Very cool.

2. On the road, the car does have significant torque, though I don't think that the thrust and oomph is as strong as in the N54. But the throttle response is better in that it has a instantaneous, immediate jump upon throttle input. It definitely must be the valvetronic, because that part feels a lot like the N52 engine that was in the 2006 330i (255hp). It feels jumpier and a bit revvier than the N54, at least upon initial throttle input. I really liked the N52 engine too, but felt that you had to flog it through the rev band somewhat to get really rapid acceleration.

3. Overall, the new N55 engine is definitely powerful enough. I wouldn't be surprised the new N55 cars aren't quite as fast as the N54s, but I wouldn't expect them to be too far behind. Since my engine was so new, it could still be a bit stiff, and I wouldn't be surprised if it limbers up and starts to perform better after several hundred miles. If I remember correctly, the same thing happened with the N54 when I first got it.

The interior features are almost exactly the same as before. I really like the new rims on mine (18" 342 rims on the non-M sport package). It was the first time that even our BMW associate had seen the rims. Otherwise, most exterior features and the entire interior remains almost exactly the same. The new LED eyebrow parking lights and rear LED brake lights are very subtle and nothing like the eyebrows on the new Audis. A lot of people don't like the new, wide front airdam on the new 335i coupes, and I can't say I'm wild about it either. But this body style is still one of the most attractive in BMW's lineup IMHO.
Good luck going back home
I am stuck in Munich for past 4 days, no idea when I will see my home...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
DaveinSF
Private
Rep

Thanks... yes, we are also STILL stuck in Munich. It is Tuesday the 20th and Lufthansa just started some flights today.

As you may have also found out, there is a major construction equipment convention in town today. All of the hotels around Hauptbanhof and Marienplatz are BOOKED solid. We've had to book night-to-night the past four nights and are grateful to find a hotel that would take us, even at 340 euros a night...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
MB330
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
Congratulation on your first ED. Be prepare - it's addictive!
I start planing next ED first weekend after we return from Europe.
And this:
      04-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

I'm stuck in NJ and can't get back to Germany :LOL:
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks... yes, we are also STILL stuck in Munich. It is Tuesday the 20th and Lufthansa just started some flights today.

As you may have also found out, there is a major construction equipment convention in town today. All of the hotels around Hauptbanhof and Marienplatz are BOOKED solid. We've had to book night-to-night the past four nights and are grateful to find a hotel that would take us, even at 340 euros a night...
yep, same here, pack the suitcase in the evening and hope I can extend the stay in the morning. Luckily, no in-bound flights either so, the reservations opened up, I was lucky to stay in the same room all this time...

I am also confirmed on the LH flight from MUC to Charlotte Thursday morning.

Good luck with your return!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72 View Post
I'm stuck in NJ and can't get back to Germany :LOL:
ouch, I'd rather be stuck in Munich
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
ouch, I'd rather be stuck in Munich
Yep I got pushed back again...here till 29th
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #11
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72 View Post
Yep I got pushed back again...here till 29th
That sucks. I should be out of here tomorrow morning (knock on a wood!).
Good luck with your situation!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 02:53 AM   #12
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
thanx for review and congrats. Enjoy it in great health.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #13
10beers
'12 535xi, old '11 335xi, '95 320i
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 335i GT mineral white

Rather be stuck following delivery of the car than awaiting delivery because of the ash cloud. Awaiting title paperwork from the states for my military order or so they say.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #14
DaveinSF
Private
Rep

Yes, we drove to the nearest dropoff point from the Welt, which is about 15km away. At least much of that distance is on the Autobahn. If you are going to get a car without iDrive navigation like I did, it would help greatly to have another person in the car to navigate like I did. BMW Welt does give a decent printout of driving directions to that dropoff point, and no dropoff reservations were required. I did it mainly because I wanted to try out the car immediately, and because if you don't drive it to a dropoff point yourself, BMW charges 60 Euros (cash only) to have someone drive it to the dropoff point for you.

I got back to the states last night and got to drive my N54 again last night and today. I didn't get to drive the new N55 enough to know for sure, but my first guess would be that the new N55s aren't quite as fast as the outgoing N54. I would also love to get some dynamometer test results for the new engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post
congrats on your european delivery 2011 335i. so you just picked the car up and dropped it off immediately? how long did you stay? did you go anywhere else?

i had my 2008 335i european delivery as well. however, i drove the car for 8 days and over 1000 miles before i dropped it off in rome, italy. i would highly recommend keeping the car longer to drive through some of the european countrysides. i drove from munich on the autobahn, to zurich, to interlaken, through the swiss alps, to florence, then finally to rome. it was an awesome experience and i am looking forward to doing it again when i make up my mind on the 2011 335i.

right now, the debate between N54 and N55 is still inconclusive. i need cold hard numbers on a dyno. plus, i want to see what tuners can do with the N55 before making a decision. i need to know its tuning potential before i go with the N55.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 01:38 AM   #15
faz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 x40i, 2018 330i F30

Congrats on the car and european delivery. How much are the savings of going with the ED? (ball parkish, say for a car that costs $50k here?)

As far as comparing the two together, first I would wait until the new car has loosened up a bit. Also, remember that your throttle in your existing car has adapted to your driving habits, while the new car didn't have that adaptation yet, so it is bound to feel a bit faster/jumpier to respond.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 06:13 AM   #16
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
Congrats on the car and european delivery. How much are the savings of going with the ED? (ball parkish, say for a car that costs $50k here?)

As far as comparing the two together, first I would wait until the new car has loosened up a bit. Also, remember that your throttle in your existing car has adapted to your driving habits, while the new car didn't have that adaptation yet, so it is bound to feel a bit faster/jumpier to respond.
Go on BMWUSA site and you can find that out -- ballpark...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:30 AM   #17
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Quote:
Yes, we drove to the nearest dropoff point from the Welt, which is about 15km away. At least much of that distance is on the Autobahn. If you are going to get a car without iDrive navigation like I did, it would help greatly to have another person in the car to navigate like I did. BMW Welt does give a decent printout of driving directions to that dropoff point, and no dropoff reservations were required. I did it mainly because I wanted to try out the car immediately, and because if you don't drive it to a dropoff point yourself, BMW charges 60 Euros (cash only) to have someone drive it to the dropoff point for you.

I got back to the states last night and got to drive my N54 again last night and today. I didn't get to drive the new N55 enough to know for sure, but my first guess would be that the new N55s aren't quite as fast as the outgoing N54. I would also love to get some dynamometer test results for the new engine.
i did not have idrive on my last european delivery trip either. i did have a passenger with a GPS equipped laptop who was responsible for the navigation. i dropped off my car in rome, italy and i did not pay any fee for this. so that 60 euro fee must be new.

after my test drive of the N55, i thought the 335i x-drive that test drove was a tiny bit slower than my 335i rwd but i blame the x-drive for the difference in power delivery.

i agree with you that i would love to see some dyno numbers to put this debate to rest.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #18
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Dont forget, the engine is new, it needs 5K+ miles to loosen up and put out its full potential IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #19
DaveinSF
Private
Rep

No, the 60 Euro fee is if you opt to NOT drive the car and instead have someone from BMW drive it to the dropoff point for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post
i did not have idrive on my last european delivery trip either. i did have a passenger with a GPS equipped laptop who was responsible for the navigation. i dropped off my car in rome, italy and i did not pay any fee for this. so that 60 euro fee must be new.

after my test drive of the N55, i thought the 335i x-drive that test drove was a tiny bit slower than my 335i rwd but i blame the x-drive for the difference in power delivery.

i agree with you that i would love to see some dyno numbers to put this debate to rest.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #20
faz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 x40i, 2018 330i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Go on BMWUSA site and you can find that out -- ballpark...
Thanks.

To save some time for others who are simply looking for a quick answer, it seems to be about $2500-$3000 for a 3 series.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...erYourBMW.aspx
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #21
DaveinSF
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
Thanks.

To save some time for others who are simply looking for a quick answer, it seems to be about $2500-$3000 for a 3 series.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...erYourBMW.aspx
That sounds about right. Mine's a 3 year lease, and I figured that the difference between the monthly payments on ED versus non-ED would be enough to cover most of the cost of the trip to Munich for two.

Interestingly, I had put in an order for Euro Delivery (ED) on a 135i. That order got botched by my dealership, so I ended up switching to another dealership and got quoted a monthly payment on a 335i coupe that was *lower* than what I was about to pay for the 135i!

As others have said on here, the financing deals on 1-series leases is not very good at all. 1ers are a LOT less common around here, maybe because of that reason... or is it because the resale value supposedly isn't as good as on a 3 series coupe?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #22
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Congratulations on your new car and thanks for the report. I hope you make it home safely and with no unreasonable delays, in spite of the Iceland affair.
Appreciate 0