E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > CPO - How much more should you pay

05-30-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
nyc2sd30
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

CPO - How much more should you pay

I bought my current E90 335i CPO. I felt I paid too close to asking price, but I did because it was an M-Sport in Alpine White with premium package etc etc.. Basically the color/option combo I was waiting to show up for a long time.

I am looking to buy the wifey a 2011 F10 535i CPO. Looking at KBB and other sites, they always say CPO adds a premium value to the price. If the car is a pretty well optioned F10, but nothing rare, should I expect to have a good amount of bargaining room when it comes to price. I freaking HAAATTEEE car shopping with a passion!

Any thoughts would be appreciated before I walk in to this ordeal
      05-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
kjlogan65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E93 Sport

You can negotiate anything but be prepared to walk out. When I bought my 2011 335 E93, I actually walked out. The salesman called me the same day for the price I wanted to pay. I actually got an additional $1000 off from my previous offer. Just don't look to excited. Also instruct your wife to let you do all the talking. Car Salesmen try to divide and conquer.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
nyc2sd30
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlogan65 View Post
You can negotiate anything but be prepared to walk out. When I bought my 2011 335 E93, I actually walked out. The salesman called me the same day for the price I wanted to pay. I actually got an additional $1000 off from my previous offer. Just don't look to excited. Also instruct your wife to let you do all the talking. Car Salesmen try to divide and conquer.

Just my 2 cents.
Funny you should say that, because on my 335i they wouldn't budge until I walked out. I think BMW sales people get trained to call your bluff and let you walk. They already know what the surrounding dealers have as far as CPOed cars and if it's a highly optioned car, there is no incentive for them to drop way down in price.

Yes, I have already schooled her to "go have lunch" while I do the negotiating…lol Only pain in the neck is that the dealer is an hour away from me. Don't want to walk out drive an hour home then back…. but heck.. if it will save me a grand, why not..LOL
      05-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

Go in, stay firm on a price you want to pay -- there is no value added services that were done to a 2011 vehicle that is CPO because the car is still in current good warranty standing they just add on the CPO to it -- no other inspection is done because the car Is already sound.

Ask me how I know.

If you find a good 2011 f30 you'd like and it's not cpo (it would still have the factory warranty) -- just wait until just before the original warranty expires and buy the cpo (which is called platinum) from ANY bmw dealer -- I used Daniel Dutton over at pacific bmw, tell him the guy from FL sent you.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
kjlogan65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E93 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2sd30 View Post
Funny you should say that, because on my 335i they wouldn't budge until I walked out. I think BMW sales people get trained to call your bluff and let you walk. They already know what the surrounding dealers have as far as CPOed cars and if it's a highly optioned car, there is no incentive for them to drop way down in price.

Yes, I have already schooled her to "go have lunch" while I do the negotiating…lol Only pain in the neck is that the dealer is an hour away from me. Don't want to walk out drive an hour home then back…. but heck.. if it will save me a grand, why not..LOL
Be careful, with the price of gas in California, too many trips can get quite expensive. LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
ThEnder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI N54 6MT

I didn't get that much of a deal on my CPO but it was a 2010 335i M-Sport in Alpine White with a 6MT, heated seats and only 13K miles. I couldn't let that slip away from me so I got the dealer to back down 1K and wrote a check. My price was about $400 above bluebook private party value in excellent condition.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

I'd also add a thought or two.

SO often here on the forum and elsewhere there's this attitude of "ordeal" going in. Can you imagine if everything you did in life was approached with the same attitude? I've had nothing but stellar experiences at my dealership, I go in happy, looking forward to getting something new and fun. Just a thought, but heading to the dealership can be just as horrible or awesome as you like. There have been a couple of instances where I've gone in stoked, only to met with attitude, it's a painless and simple about face, head on to the next guy.

Second, grinding away, trying to squeeze every last cent out of deal is a guarantee for failure, at least in terms of enjoyment not just at time of purchase, but throughout the life of the vehicle. Without fail, the grinders, the folks who think they know all the ins and outs of auto sales, and look at the dealer as an adversary are NEVER happy, NEVER feel they got a good deal, and ALWAYS feel cheated somehow. I used to see this at H-D constantly. Not to mention the liars, the freaking customers just lie non-stop about everything, it's apparent, its obvious, and it was embarrassing. The "I have Great Credit" douche sitting on a 600 beacon.

However, in stark contrast was the person who knew they were shopping a premium brand, had done their research, and is actually buying within their means. They walk in, point to the thing they want, sit the hell down, work out a fair deal and move on. They are happy, the dealership is happy, everyone wins. No need for theatrics, no adversary, no worries. These are the folks who win, who are out enjoying their new toy without all the BS.
NOT ADVOCATING just rolling over for a belly rub, just focusing on a fair deal.

Consumer research bears this out. The grinder who believes they are fighting the "man" are never happy and their experiences are always negative. The buyer who is looking for a fair deal, but isn't locked into some misguided adversarial mindset is happier and enjoys the ownership experience much more.

The liars, the folks telling stories, fabricating "GREAT DEALS" or "HORROR STORIES" are here on the internet and we all know when we come across it. "FAIR" is the sweetspot, don't rollover, but don't forget the Dealership is a business, not a charity.
      05-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

i got 4k off their sticker price on a 2007 CPO 4yrs ago. the price was still a bit more then private party, but I figured im at buying dealer price + 2k for warranty (which is all the CPO really offers).
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2sd30 View Post
I bought my current E90 335i CPO. I felt I paid too close to asking price, but I did because it was an M-Sport in Alpine White with premium package etc etc.. Basically the color/option combo I was waiting to show up for a long time.

I am looking to buy the wifey a 2011 F10 535i CPO. Looking at KBB and other sites, they always say CPO adds a premium value to the price. If the car is a pretty well optioned F10, but nothing rare, should I expect to have a good amount of bargaining room when it comes to price. I freaking HAAATTEEE car shopping with a passion!

Any thoughts would be appreciated before I walk in to this ordeal
I think how much you can bargain is based on how long the car has been there and how many are availible with that trim in your area. Have you done the research? are there many around private party or otherwise? If there are you can just tell them what your expecting to pay. That doesnt sound like a very rare combo so you should be prepared to walk away and let them call you once you give your final offer.
      05-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
Tepr05
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i, 2017 F80

Last week I purchased a CPO 335i xDrive with M-Sport, and was in basically the same boat as the OP. It was the car I wanted, in the color combos I wanted (alpine white as well), with 27.5k miles and 4 full years left on the CPO. Knowing how particular I was being I knew I couldn't ask for the world. Nevertheless, the dealer was great and came darn close to meeting my first counter offer, which made me very happy with the deal. In comparison to kbb, I ended up paying about 2800 less than their 'CPO' price, and about 1500 more than their 'private party' price. Could I have got a better a deal? Possibly. But I was happy with how smooth everything was, how non-pressured the deal making was, and am now super happy with the car I wanted. Totally agree with Revlis- excellent points.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
ThEnder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI N54 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepr05 View Post
Last week I purchased a CPO 335i xDrive with M-Sport, and was in basically the same boat as the OP. It was the car I wanted, in the color combos I wanted (alpine white as well), with 27.5k miles and 4 full years left on the CPO. Knowing how particular I was being I knew I couldn't ask for the world. Nevertheless, the dealer was great and came darn close to meeting my first counter offer, which made me very happy with the deal. In comparison to kbb, I ended up paying about 2800 less than their 'CPO' price, and about 1500 more than their 'private party' price. Could I have got a better a deal? Possibly. But I was happy with how smooth everything was, how non-pressured the deal making was, and am now super happy with the car I wanted. Totally agree with Revlis- excellent points.
+1 I may not have scored the best deal I could ever have hoped for either but I got the car I wanted and have a perma-grin every time I get behind the wheel. Definitely worth a few extra bucks.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
nyc2sd30
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep

Well got the got the F10. It was pretty much the perfect one. Not an M-Sport, but loaded to the max. Premium 2, ventilated and active seats, auto rear sunshade, cold weather package, self shutting doors and even has the thing where the car parks itself. Some of the options are a little gimmicky, but it's like a luxury liner, and tightens up in sport mode.

It was a bitch to buy, but I just kept walking out when they wouldn't budge on price. They said 4x how they were "taking a loss" on the car but they kept coming back with lower offers. Gotta love car buying. I still believe they made a nice chunk of profit either way. Plus it help that it was the end of the month :-)