F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > The Downfall Of BMW Has Begun...
proTUNING Freaks

11-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #23
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
i just read about bmw abandoning their high rev n/a engines and i just have to say . the bmw ///m was all about motorsport and philosophy of a high reving n/a engine.

why abandon their heritage?
Dont be afraid of change.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #24
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
Long live the king then. Long live Mercedes! =)
      11-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #25
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
BMW turbo power gets Nelson Piquet a championship:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabham_BT52

I don't see why people are crying over the switch to forced induction. Powerful, fuel-economic, emissions-friendly engines are the best thing to anybody remotely interested in cars.

Some people (like me) hated the move to the V8, but guess what - they still bought the M3 (unfortunately, not me).

Like I said before... make the next M3 as a CSL... or something like what the current Porsche GT3 is to the vanilla 911. Make it a homologation model like the previous M3 GTR production version. Make the M a true motorsport model. Extended leather? Navigation? Come on. That's what the vanilla models are for.

And guess what? The turbo era in F1 was considered one of the finest eras in F1. Why do you think everybody switched to turbo engines? Because they WON.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 11:12 PM   #26
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post

I don't see why people are crying over the switch to forced induction. Powerful, fuel-economic, emissions-friendly engines are the best thing to anybody remotely interested in cars.

Some people (like me) hated the move to the V8, but guess what - they still bought the M3 (unfortunately, not me).

Like I said before... make the next M3 as a CSL... or something like what the current Porsche GT3 is to the vanilla 911. Make it a homologation model like the previous M3 GTR production version. Make the M a true motorsport model. Extended leather? Navigation? Come on. That's what the vanilla models are for.

And guess what? The turbo era in F1 was considered one of the finest eras in F1. Why do you think everybody switched to turbo engines? Because they WON.
wow you mean turbos work? that's just unheard of
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 11:17 PM   #27
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
wow you mean turbos work? that's just unheard of
People don't like the word "efficiency" in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 01:21 AM   #28
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:

Well when BMW makes a decent turbo engine let me know...
      12-01-2008, 02:06 AM   #29
SpecC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Well when BMW makes a decent turbo engine let me know...
wait a minute, how many people love their 335i's?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #30
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

I love High reving N/A and if bmw can make a turbo that rev to 8k i will buy it. Otherwise i would move on to benz.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #31
SpecC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarlover View Post
I love High reving N/A and if bmw can make a turbo that rev to 8k i will buy it. Otherwise i would move on to benz.
well... this could sting a little but here's a story i heard about

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/28/m...t-v12-engines/
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #32
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
FI>NA

I for one am glad that FI is finally taking over. NA to me is like carburetor's, bias-ply tires, and hand crank starters....an idea whose time has passed.
Your effin' kidding right
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #33
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Yeah man... hand-crank starters are all the rage.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #34
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
I'd be satisfied with a reliable HPFP.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #35
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah man... hand-crank starters are all the rage.
Thanks man, my coffee is all over the wall now.
      12-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #36
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
I'd be satisfied with a reliable HPFP.
Still pissed that you drive the model no one cares about? Time to let it go bro.
      12-01-2008, 01:21 PM   #37
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Still pissed that you drive the model no one cares about? Time to let it go bro.
Why would I be pissed? I cancelled an E90 335i order in October 2007. I can go and buy an 09' 335i right now CASH. I just prefer the peace of mind of not having to deal with a HPFP failure at "anytime" while I'm driving.

An Aston Martin DBS, a Porsche 997 Turbo, or a Vette Z06? Yeah those are special cars I may be a "tiny bit" envious about. But I'm happy with what I'm given. But a 2007 335i? LOL. I'd only be envious if Jessica Alba was in the passenger seat which is certainly not the case for you.

It seems to me you're the one who has to let "something" go. Hopefully it's not another fuel pump.

Last edited by NewSong; 12-01-2008 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #38
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

HPFP issues are pretty much nonexistant. If you do have a failure it takes all of three hours to fix. The car doesn't stall, it just has reduced power. It's not a safety threat. It's not a big deal anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #39
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Why would I be pissed? I cancelled an E90 335i order in October 2007. I can go and buy an 09' 335i right now CASH. I just prefer the peace of mind of not having to deal with a HPFP failure at "anytime" while I'm driving.

An Aston Martin DBS, a Porsche 997 Turbo, or a Vette Z06? Yeah those are special cars I may be a "tiny bit" envious about. But I'm happy with what I'm given. But a 2007 335i? LOL. I'd only be envious if Jessica Alba was in the passenger seat which is certainly not the case for you.

It seems to me you're the one who has to let "something" go. Hopefully it's not another fuel pump.
Wow it took you 20 minutes from the time your first made this post to come up with the second paragraph. Impressive.

Also keep telling yourself you didn't buy a 335 because of the HPFP. Capitalize "CASH" to pump your ego. In the end you have the same regret most 328 owners have whenever they see a 335 fly by them. Just like you.

Something tells me the only thing you usually have sitting in your passenger seat is a large number#1 from Burger King.

Enjoy the bottom of the barrel model. Peace of mind is great.
      12-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #40
Rugs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
as for the engines, they gotta do what they've gotta do to keep up with the competition. sales dictate all the moves nowadays. they could stick to the "pure, traditional" N/A method, but that would lead to crappy MPG figures (something Americans view with great importance) and less impressive performance numbers. we will all feel the difference, but BMW can't solely cater to the small market of performance enthusiasts any longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
FI>NA

I for one am glad that FI is finally taking over. NA to me is like carburetor's, bias-ply tires, and hand crank starters....an idea whose time has passed.
+1000...In today's green and economically strained environment, larger displacement fuel hungry engines just aren't a viable option in the car market. Not if you want to compete as an Automobile Company.

Don't get me wrong, I'll miss the high-strung, high-revving "M" Engines (just drove a E90 & E92/M3 with DCT & 6mt last week and fell in love with them) and in enthusiast & collectors hands I'm sure they'll be around for a while.

But in a year or two when the new M3 TT comes out, it should be interesting to see it go head to head with a few cars that have been kicking it's butt at the track...the 997 Turbo & GT-R! Do ya see a pattern here? If you can't beat them w/N.A. Engines, join them and then beat em with your own Twin Turbo Engines.

I think by adopting the Smaller displacement, higher horsepower, more fuel efficient engines; BMW along with their "M" division are not only going head to head with the competition, they're insuring their Future as a competitive brand!
SMART-Top /One-Off Opaque Vinyl EYELIDS / 30% TINT / A.C.SCHNITZER Pedals / "M" Tri-Color Wheel w/Paddles / EIBACH Pro-Kit / AKEBONA F. & EBC RED-STUFF R.Dustless Pads / Drilled & Slotted ROTORS / MIRO M6 Reps / MICHELIN PS2's / U.R.Coated DP's / CYBA-QUAD Exhaust Tips / BMS-TUNED...

Last edited by Rugs; 12-01-2008 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #41
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarlover View Post

Also read that Merc are going to turbo there V8's as well!

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #42
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
keep telling yourself you didn't buy a 335 because of the HPFP.
Yup. Only been back to the dealership for an oil change or two.

You're really proud of your $30,000 car aren't you?

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #43
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yup. Only been back to the dealership for an oil change or two.

You're really proud of your $30,000 car aren't you?
Yep, I am proud. The car gets looks wherever I go. Sorry if you've never had that experience, but hey at least you get free oil changes.

It's called depreciation. Remember that word when your joke of a BMW costs far less after two years mkay? mkay.
      12-02-2008, 12:53 AM   #44
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Yep, I am proud. The car gets looks wherever I go. Sorry if you've never had that experience, but hey at least you get free oil changes.

It's called depreciation. Remember that word when your joke of a BMW costs far less after two years mkay? mkay.

You're probably a nice guy, a service man judging by your screen name, and I respect that. Seriously, I salute you. But let's not get into a pissing match about who has more money, and who can afford what. Not everyone uses their car as a status symbol, some people just like nice sporty and reliable cars, even if they could afford "super" cars. It's just that my focus isn't on spending too much money on cars if I don't have to, it's just not worth it to me. Enjoy what you have, if you're happy with it, that's the best part. You've earned it.

Appreciate 0