E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > brake vibration after new replacement parts help

12-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
RectalItching
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

brake vibration after new replacement parts help

hey guys, looking for some informative direction on a brake job problem i have. i have just replaced the front rotors/brakes/sensor with proper Brake Disk Quiet application, followed by brake bedding. I used BMW rotors and Textar oem replacement pads from Turner Motorsport (i ordered oem, they sent Textar "oem supplier). earlier this year i did the rear with all BMW parts and no issues.

Here's the problem. Even after bedding i had brake squeal. I thought maybe i didn't do it firm enough so i did again, not really any harder or abusive. The squeal has gone away but now i have a steering wheel vibration upon braking. It happens more at lower speed, but a little at higher speed too.

Before i take apart the brakes and re-install is there anything recommended i try? one concern i have is i may have warped the rotors by bedding. I'm pretty careful and particular so i doubt i abused them. I did 5-6 rounds of rolling 60-20 mph braking followed by proper cooling at the end.

i will probably try:
another bedding process
reinstall
rotor turning but i don't think its recommended on our rotor material.
lastly, replace the textar pads with bmw pads

Key info in my situation: i replaced parts like for like, i had brake squeal, now vibration that i didn't have before. Car was basically perfect before this, no wheel balance issue. Help?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
vwetish
Banned
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RectalItching View Post
Here's the problem. Even after bedding i had brake squeal. I thought maybe i didn't do it firm enough so i did again, not really any harder or abusive. The squeal has gone away but now i have a steering wheel vibration upon braking. It happens more at lower speed, but a little at higher speed too.
I could be only uneven pad deposit on the rotors especially if they didn't vibrate before the you bed them in the second time around.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
RectalItching
Private
Rep

Thanks for the insight. I swapped the pads to the other side of the car. The vibe is a little better. I will see how it goes over a couple weeks. Then maybe bed them again. I may mic the rotors and see if there's any sign of warp next. Maybe some new pads.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Did you use a torque wrench to tighten the lugs on the wheels to get the correct tightness on each lug? If the lugs are unevenly tightened, it is possible to cause a warped rotor.

Never actually heard of that happening on a BMW because they have much more robust brakes than most cars sold in the US, but it may be possible.
      12-27-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
RectalItching
Private
Rep

Yeah I did to 88 ft lbs. I try to be meticulous about maintenance so I don't Introduce my own problems. Ironic. I will keep u posted with any improvement
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #6
RectalItching
Private
Rep

I put on the old rotors with the new pads to see what'd happen. Sure enough the vibration went away. From here I Will maybe put a dial indicator on the new rotor out of curiosity but I probably just but new rotors and call it a day
Appreciate 0