E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help, my car is continually throwing 'P2400' code

07-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #23
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Also check the cable that gets connected to the pump. Make sure its not rubbed off like mine was. Have seen this on a couple of cars too.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #24
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
Also check the cable that gets connected to the pump. Make sure its not rubbed off like mine was. Have seen this on a couple of cars too.
I'll have to get back under there and check it out. So pissed that I most likely spent unnecessary money on the pump. Also going to have Autozone check my codes and see if they match up or differ from what I get from my Torque app.

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #25
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Dude at Autozone got the same code on his reader as I did, P2400. Checking in with a local indy shop (Banchwerks in Providence,RI) to see if they have the capability of performing a smoke test.

Also, going to check the wiring, as vapore0n suggests.

In the meantime, I had sent an email to my SA at BMW of Warwick (Lauren, who is super helpful and rocks), asking about the code and whether or not she had any feedback (also asked about the injectors and whether or not there was a related recall, as I had read something similar in another thread) and this was her response:

BMW doesn’t use “P” codes, so unfortunately I can’t cross reference that code number with the BMW fault codes that specify bulletins.

The bulletin/recall for the injectors was released because the faulty injectors throw a check engine light due to misfire faults, it doesn’t specify that DMTL faults would be stored for the faulty injectors.

Your car doesn’t have any open/pending recalls at the moment, and doesn’t actually fall into the production date for that recall, so it wouldn’t qualify for that repair.

I can’t find any recalls pertaining to the evaporative system or DMTL system. I’m kind of at a loss. I guess if we had it here, we’d be checking all the connections and lines to make sure they’re all plugged in and connected. Maybe you’ve got a bad connection somewhere, or maybe you’ve got a legitimate leak somewhere? Smoke testing it will (hopefully/usually) show a leak. I’d check for rodent damage too….those suckers love to make nests on top of the gas tank (underneath the rear seat bottom) and love to chew wires….

Hope this helps, let me know how you make out.

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #26
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

I have the same code on my 335i. I removed the pump. All the connections looked good. No rubbed thru wires or cuts. The pump can not be taken apart. Someone on here said they removed theirs and opened it up and lubed it. Definetly not possible. Mines a 2007 and his is a 2006. So maybe thats why.

Immgoing to order a new bosch pump off ebay soon. Its about $70 shipped so not too bad. I just hope its the pump and not something else.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #27
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90 View Post
I have the same code on my 335i. I removed the pump. All the connections looked good. No rubbed thru wires or cuts. The pump can not be taken apart. Someone on here said they removed theirs and opened it up and lubed it. Definetly not possible. Mines a 2007 and his is a 2006. So maybe thats why.

Immgoing to order a new bosch pump off ebay soon. Its about $70 shipped so not too bad. I just hope its the pump and not something else.
I didn't inspect the wires when I took everything off (shame on me), so I'll be doing that today or tomorrow and hopefully finding the culprit. Or else I'll have to pay for someone to diagnose the goddamn issue and fix it myself before 9/11 (when my 60 day rejection sticker free re-test runs out). Keep us posted, man. good luck!

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #28
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n
Did you need to replace this wire? Mine ended up looking just like yours. Not sure if taping it up to protect it will work or if the entire wire needs to be replaced to get rid of the SES light. Any feedback would be great. Thanks man

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #29
vapore0n
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebamf335i View Post
Did you need to replace this wire? Mine ended up looking just like yours. Not sure if taping it up to protect it will work or if the entire wire needs to be replaced to get rid of the SES light. Any feedback would be great. Thanks man
sent you a PM.
The cable going to the pump has 2-3 cables on it. Only one of mine was damaged.
I just cut the affected areas. Solder them back together, electrical tape the cable and then wrap some more to protect the whole area against water. I also used a plastic cable protector (those things to keep cables neat and together) to protect the cables from rubbing themselves off again.
The cable to the pump is just too short to be re-routed to prevent this problem.

On my first picture, right above the red arrow, you can see the cable that goes to the pump, and where it got rubbed off.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 09:14 AM   #30
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
sent you a PM.
The cable going to the pump has 2-3 cables on it. Only one of mine was damaged.
I just cut the affected areas. Solder them back together, electrical tape the cable and then wrap some more to protect the whole area against water. I also used a plastic cable protector (those things to keep cables neat and together) to protect the cables from rubbing themselves off again.
The cable to the pump is just too short to be re-routed to prevent this problem.

On my first picture, right above the red arrow, you can see the cable that goes to the pump, and where it got rubbed off.
Sorry for hounding you, but I really appreciate you getting back to me. Plan is for me to get back under there tonight and separate the 2 or 3 wires and assess just which one(s) is/are damaged. I have no idea how to solder, but my buddy and fellow BMW e46 enthusiast is a "soldering master" (as he puts it) and has offered to give me a hand.

Hoping the wire is the culprit. The carbon canister intake seemed pretty clean to me when I replaced the pump, so I think (ahem, hope) I'm good there. I'll keep you posted on how I make out.

Just so I'm clear, repairing the wire and cleaning the canister intake addressed the SES light and code for you?

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #31
vapore0n
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for hounding you, but I really appreciate you getting back to me. Plan is for me to get back under there tonight and separate the 2 or 3 wires and assess just which one(s) is/are damaged. I have no idea how to solder, but my buddy and fellow BMW e46 enthusiast is a "soldering master" (as he puts it) and has offered to give me a hand.

Hoping the wire is the culprit. The carbon canister intake seemed pretty clean to me when I replaced the pump, so I think (ahem, hope) I'm good there. I'll keep you posted on how I make out.

Just so I'm clear, repairing the wire and cleaning the canister intake addressed the SES light and code for you?
I'm going to say yes.
I did replace the pump, since I had already bought it. But nothing would have worked if I hadn't fixed the cable going to it.

After fixing it, I cleared the code before turning the car on (crank). Code hasnt come back ever since.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #32
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Awesome. Yeah my pump is brand new, too. Hopefully this takes Care of it.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #33
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Monday night (yes, night), I got around to taking a closer look at the wires, as suggested by vapore0n. With my rejection sticker 60 day grace period about to expire, I couldn't afford to wait until the following day.

Excuse the crappy nightime, iPhone photos:

Knowing I simply need a quick, temp fix (to get my sticker), I separated all the wires and cut out the bad section of the wire in question. Then stripped a small amount of good wire for each half:

After twisting the wires together, I wrapped all the wires up in electric tape and zip tied them to the brake sensor wire to keep them from moving around in the interim:

After driving to/from work on Tuesday and then putting another 40+ miles on the car on Wednesday, I kept checking for codes and the readiness of the cats/O2 sensor/evap system with my Torque app. No codes were thrown and no SES light, so I swung by the shop on my drive home yesterday afternoon and it passed. No more rejection sticker. Only drawback was that I ended up having to pay another $35 for the inspection, as my 60 day window had passed. By 60 days, I just assumed having had the first inspection on July 11th, I would have til Sept 11 to get a reinspection for free. But I forgot about the two 31 month days so the 60 day period actually ended Monday, I believe.

Oh well, I got my sticker and all is good.

Now, gotta have my buddy solder that wire for a permanent fix and then I'll tape them all up nice and securely and probably put something else around the wires in order to prevent them from ever getting frayed again. Still not sure what causes the fraying in the first place, but my goal is to never have it happen again.

At least I know my DMTL pump will be good to go for probably the life of this car.

Last edited by eforty6_m3; 08-09-2017 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #34
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
In case anyone was wondering, still no codes or SES light since addressing the wire. So that was clearly the culprit. A few weeks ago, as mentioned, a buddy of mine soldered the wire and we put some heat shrink tubing around the wire for extra protection. With all that, and a healthy layer of electrical tape, I don't see this issue ever rearing its head again.

On that note, anyone need a user but working DMTL pump?

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #35
vapore0n
Captain
Rep

Same here. Code hasnt come back in all these months.

The dealer was going to charge me $600 to fix the P2400. Something I fixed for free (minus the cost of the pump, which wasn't really needed)

Given how multiple cars have come out with this problem (cable getting rubbed out), I would suggest everyone to take a look at behind the wheel, see if the cable is prone to getting rubbed out, and proactively fix it by protecting it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #36
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

I got the same code and ignored it for about a month. It went away lol.. Guess it unstuck it self.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #37
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Same here. Code hasnt come back in all these months.

The dealer was going to charge me $600 to fix the P2400. Something I fixed for free (minus the cost of the pump, which wasn't really needed)

Given how multiple cars have come out with this problem (cable getting rubbed out), I would suggest everyone to take a look at behind the wheel, see if the cable is prone to getting rubbed out, and proactively fix it by protecting it.
Excellent suggestion. One I 100% agree with....for the 2 minutes it will take you, well worth it for peace of mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender rodriguez View Post
I got the same code and ignored it for about a month. It went away lol.. Guess it unstuck it self.
You lucky bastard! lol

I'd still check the wires, just to be safe.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 09:33 PM   #38
84FSP
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan daily 84VW GTI Toy

Wow - thank god I finally found this writeup guys. I have been hunting around with little luck till a few minutes ago. I'm pulling a 2402 evap signal high. Will be pulling the rear wheel off tomorrow night to check out the wires and see if it sorts me out. Appreciate the solid details and discussion.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 07:14 AM   #39
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84FSP View Post
Wow - thank god I finally found this writeup guys. I have been hunting around with little luck till a few minutes ago. I'm pulling a 2402 evap signal high. Will be pulling the rear wheel off tomorrow night to check out the wires and see if it sorts me out. Appreciate the solid details and discussion.
That's the goal man, to help out fellow enthusiasts with the same or similar problems.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #40
batman_e92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertable

I have that same code ...thanks for sharing I will take a look at it next week once im home ... good post 2 thumbs up
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:32 AM   #41
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman_e92 View Post
I have that same code ...thanks for sharing I will take a look at it next week once im home ... good post 2 thumbs up
You bet! If you end up needing a replacement DMTL pump, let me know! As seen in the thread, I needlessly replaced mine thinking it was the culprit.

In all seriousness, good luck and keep us posted.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 06:55 AM   #42
84FSP
Rep

2402 Evap Code

Quote:
That's the goal man, to help out fellow enthusiasts with the same or similar problems.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Pulled the pump and checked out all he wiring this weekend and no visible damage. Ordered up the replacement pump which was surprisingly reasonable... Will post something when I get it replaced to see if that sorts out life...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #43
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84FSP View Post
Pulled the pump and checked out all he wiring this weekend and no visible damage. Ordered up the replacement pump which was surprisingly reasonable... Will post something when I get it replaced to see if that sorts out life...
Another reason why I was't too upset at needlessly replacing the pump..it was fairly affordable. Hope that solves your issue.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #44
84FSP
Rep

Replaced my pump and got rid of the 2402 code I had on mine. Thanks for the great writeup guys.
Dave
Appreciate 0