E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E91 Diversity Antenna

07-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #1
CapnCook
Gibbon
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI 320d Touring

E91 Diversity Antenna

Hi guys,

Not been on much lately but I have a bit of an issue... I bought my E91 on 85k and had absolutely no issues with it whatsoever; literally up until it reached 100k.

I did a car swap with my father in law (as he was going on holiday with loads of luggage and has an A5 coupe) a few weeks ago. I was gutted as I gave him the car on literally 99,850k so I knew I would miss the 100k milestone :-( (Although I quickly got over it after a few hours of driving his 2014 A5 coupe)

When I got my car back, it was on approx 100,220k. I drove it fine for a day and all was great. We had some really heavy rain the day after (I remember it being particularly bad as our office roof was even leaking) and when I came to drive home in the car later that day, I noticed a few settings on the I-Drive had changed to their defaults (for example the NAV had gone back to single screen instead of split). It was strange but I changed them back and thought no more about it.

That was until the following day when I locked the car with the keyfob and just happened to notice the lights didn't flash. On closer inspection the C/L was not working at all, I tried the other key, still nothing. I assume the C/L has stopped working the same time my I-Drive reset itself but I probably didn't even notice that the car wasn't actually locking/unlocking until a few days later.

After some forum digging I whipped off the rear spoiler and got to the diversity antenna underneath. Initially it looked fine, but once I got the circuit board out and had a close inspection, there was signs of water ingress/corrosion around some of the terminals. I cleaned it up as best I could but it was still a no-go.

So now I'm on the lookout for a replacement E91 Diversity Antenna. There are tons of eBay...but not for an E91, it seems this is a very common problem and they are soon snapped up. I've called all my usual BMW breakers and nobody has anything for an E91.

I gave BMW the part code 65206934846 (which I got from these forums) and they told me that part code had changed, but quoted me £200.17 for what I needed.

I've seen a few have sold for between £50-£100 on eBay in the last couple of months so I will have to just keep an eye out until one comes up. But does anyone know if the parts are different between the LCI and Pre-Facelift? (I have a 2009 LCI)

Any help would be much appreciated guys! I can't go on much longer having my alarm go off every time I open my car (I'm using the key blade atm )

Some pics just for the hell of it...

07-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

could you not just send it to a pcb repair type person?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
CapnCook
Gibbon
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI 320d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallsmk2 View Post
could you not just send it to a pcb repair type person?
Yeah I guess so, but I imagine they would charge more to repair than it would be to buy a new one. It could just be me but some of those white blocks look to be a little black and scorched. I could be wrong but I'm not 100% sure they're supposed to look like that...
      07-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Not mine though...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E91-An...item19f1344299