E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Wahing, waxing, Protecting. Am I doing it right?

08-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Bavarian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, e92 335i

Question Wahing, waxing, Protecting. Am I doing it right?

I will be washing/detailing my alpine white 2010 3 series this weekend. Although I did wash it occasionally (once a month maybe,) this is the first time I will be waxing, polishing/buffing, using protection on this car. I've had it for about a year.

After doing some research I've decided to go with the Meguiar's products. They seem pretty decent. So here is the list of things I will be doing in order using the products listed. Please let me know if I should do anything else. I'm a rookie when it comes to detailing so don't be harsh on me

1. Washing

2. Cleaning/Prepping: Claying - Meguiar's G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G1016...3095024&sr=1-1

3. Cleaning/Prepping: Buffing - Ultimate Compound for Buffing:
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M8332...3094978&sr=1-7
Q: Will this is enough to clay 2 cars?

4. Protection: Wax/Sealant: Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 (18-Ounce Liquid)
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Gener...3094076&sr=1-1

5. Maintaining: Quick Detail/Wax

Thanks guys

Last edited by Bavarian; 08-11-2011 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian View Post
I will be washing/detailing my alpine white 2010 3 series this weekend. Although I did wash it occasionally (once a month maybe,) this is the first time I will be waxing, polishing/buffing, using protection on this car. I've had it for about a year.

After doing some research I've decided to go with the Meguiar's products. They seem pretty decent. So here is the list of things I will be doing in order using the products listed. Please let me know if I should do anything else. I'm a rookie when it comes to detailing so don't be harsh on me

1. Washing

2. Cleaning/Prepping: Claying - Meguiar's G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G1016...3095024&sr=1-1

3. Cleaning/Prepping: Buffing - Ultimate Compound for Buffing:
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M8332...3094978&sr=1-7
Q: Will this is enough to clay 2 cars?

4. Protection: Wax/Sealant: Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 (18-Ounce Liquid)
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Gener...3094076&sr=1-1

5. Maintaining: Quick Detail/Wax

Thanks guys
you will get a couple of cars from the clay bar kit, just dont use a wash soap as the lube. It will break down the clay MUCH faster than a QD or a dedicated clay lube.

you will want a second polish after the UC. The gloss will not be at its optimal level after a compound

the wax is fine, expect to get about 6 weeks or so out of it, so be prepared to wax monthly to ensure you are always protected!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
JohnnyT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 4Runner. Former 09 328i.

Bud, do yourself a major league favor and ditch the Tech Wax idea and get some good sealant like Collinite 845 or Blackfire Wet Diamond or Menzerna Power Lock.

Tried Tech wax a while back and got about 3-4 weeks out of it. Others will last 3-4 MONTHS. No shit.

Just trying to save you some wasted afternoons when you should be out driving rather than waxing.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Bavarian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
you will get a couple of cars from the clay bar kit, just dont use a wash soap as the lube. It will break down the clay MUCH faster than a QD or a dedicated clay lube.

you will want a second polish after the UC. The gloss will not be at its optimal level after a compound

the wax is fine, expect to get about 6 weeks or so out of it, so be prepared to wax monthly to ensure you are always protected!

Very helpful mate! What would be good for the second polish?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
Bavarian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
Bud, do yourself a major league favor and ditch the Tech Wax idea and get some good sealant like Collinite 845 or Blackfire Wet Diamond or Menzerna Power Lock.

Tried Tech wax a while back and got about 3-4 weeks out of it. Others will last 3-4 MONTHS. No shit.

Just trying to save you some wasted afternoons when you should be out driving rather than waxing.

wow. I will definitely go with one of those that you recommended. The blackfire wet diamond looks good. Thanks buddy.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
x3man1994
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 X3 2.5

Go to detailed image they have much better products there, if you tell me what you want to accomplish and you give me a budget, I will put a kit together for you and send you the cart.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
Bavarian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3man1994 View Post
Go to detailed image they have much better products there, if you tell me what you want to accomplish and you give me a budget, I will put a kit together for you and send you the cart.
Yea, I've noticed. This website looks legit. The car is not too bad but I think its time to do a complete wash and protect it for the next 4-5 months. I want to achieve the "wet-look" and get rid of very minor scratches on the hood and the roof by the fin. Its an alpine white so these scratches aren't so visible and at the same time it won't stand out as much as some of the other colors.

I have a buffer/pads Meguiars compound, microfiber cloth, brushes, buckets, washing soap and the quick detail wax already. I definitely want to keep it under $100. At least for now. I appreciate your time

Last edited by Bavarian; 08-11-2011 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
x3man1994
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea, I've noticed. This website looks legit. I have a buffer/pads Meguiars compound, microfiber cloth, brushes, buckets, washing soap and the quick detail wax already. I definitely want to keep it under $100. At least for now. I appreciate your time
Ok, becuase I dont want you ruining the paint on your nearly brand new bimmer, as it it is I bet that you have a ton of swirls in it. Tell me what you want in your order and I can see if I can help you out. Also please read the articles here and here, they will most definatley help in keeping your car at its best.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
Bavarian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, becuase I dont want you ruining the paint on your nearly brand new bimmer, as it it is I bet that you have a ton of swirls in it. Tell me what you want in your order and I can see if I can help you out. Also please read the articles here and here, they will most definatley help in keeping your car at its best.
I've read the washing and detailing page and changed some of my ways lol. Its very helpful. The car is not too bad (barely any swirls) but I think its time to do a complete wash and protect it for the next 4-5 months. I want to achieve the "wet-look" and get rid of very minor scratches on the hood and the roof by the fin. Its an alpine white so these scratches aren't so visible and at the same time it won't stand out as much as some of the other colors.

I basically want to divide the products into the 5 steps. Would you suggest a sealant or wax? Please send me the link to the one you think would be appropriate for an alpine white car.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
x3man1994
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've read the washing and detailing page and changed some of my ways lol. Its very helpful. The car is not too bad (barely any swirls) but I think its time to do a complete wash and protect it for the next 4-5 months. I want to achieve the "wet-look" and get rid of very minor scratches on the hood and the roof by the fin. Its an alpine white so these scratches aren't so visible and at the same time it won't stand out as much as some of the other colors.

I basically want to divide the products into the 5 steps. Would you suggest a sealant or wax? Please send me the link to the one you think would be appropriate for an alpine white car.
If you really want an Alpine white car to really pop, I would recomend you use a glaze like this, then use a sealant and then top it all off with a wax that has carnuba that is bleached white like this. Basically all these products are made for lighter or white cars. Or if you want a wax that is a little easier to apply and remove (a soft wax as opposed to a hard wax) go for this as one reviewer said," Reviewed by Eric M. on 7/17/2011
Would they buy this item again? Yes
I use this on an Alpine White BMW 335i. This is a great wax - easy to apply with a foam applicator pad and remove/buff with a microfiber cloth. And it smells great too!"

Last edited by x3man1994; 08-11-2011 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: Added Info
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
Bavarian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If you really want an Alpine white car to really pop, I would recomend you use a glaze like this, then use a sealant and then top it all off with a wax that has carnuba that is bleached white like this. Basically all these products are made for lighter or white cars. Or if you want a wax that is a little easier to apply and remove (a soft wax as opposed to a hard wax) go for this as one reviewer said," Reviewed by Eric M. on 7/17/2011
Would they buy this item again? Yes
I use this on an Alpine White BMW 335i. This is a great wax - easy to apply with a foam applicator pad and remove/buff with a microfiber cloth. And it smells great too!"

I'll definitely check out those products.
Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

For an additional polish try Megs 205 on either a white or grey/black pad. Lose the NXT wax, does not last well and stains trim. I'd go with Collonite 845 as it's cheap, looks good on light colors, lasts and protects great. If you use a glaze make sure it's compatible with your lsp, acrylic for sealants and oil based for waxes. The Dodo stuff is quality product but expensive and since you want to stay under $100 it will be hard with that. You do have some good towels and polishing pads correct?
Appreciate 0