BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #23
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
If I were in a dry climate I'd install these. Too bad Germany gets rain like Seattle. :-/
      11-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #24
___whoosh___
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kleen View Post
If I were in a dry climate I'd install these. Too bad Germany gets rain like Seattle. :-/
+1
I may hold on to mine until the weather breaks in the spring
it may be a summer mode mod for my 135i
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #25
NORAGRETS
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
3 days running no issues...oil temp and IAT temp normal. Performance normal. Drove 1 day in rain, no issues. Engine sound is much more pronounced. Sounds like I have an aftermarket BOV even hah. I will however put the OE cowl back on in a month or so when the bad winter weather starts...then I'm worried about excess water etc in the engine bay with snow And ice

RIP - E82 135i - 7/7/2021
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #26
BostonShant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I've had this on my car for a little over a month. No issues as of yet. I have hit rain without a problem but my car is pretty much garaged when I'm at work or when I get home so it has been rained on too hard.

I am planning on putting the stock cowl back on when the weather gets bad here in Boston because I am nervous about my DME. The JB4 on the N55 has a set of wires coming out of the box that make me nervous about the box being sealed completely.

In the meantime the car sounds amazing from the inside and feel no harm in driving day to day. I wouldn't think twice about doing this mod just for the fun factor alone because the cabin sounds great now.
      03-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #27
EGO_CHECK
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135I ManTransmission

Garage List
Hey, looking to get these as my next mod (easier jb tune access) any updates from owners good or bad? Would it be recommended to replace oem set up when bringing in for service?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #28
PDX1er
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 135i Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by loesch View Post
I'd be careful with these on the N55 when you're running a JB4. Most people just have the DME cover sitting on top of the extra JB4 wiring harness so there's no way it's sealed, even if the clips are latched. I made a cut in the factory grommet on the DME box so the harness fits in nicely. Still leery about this product. Have seen people complaining of rusted coils when changing spark plugs possibly from running without the cowl. Nothing seems certain, which is my problem with it.
Agree. I didn't even realize the harness went under the grommet until I did the install. Probably won't be an issue, but not ideal. First thing that's going to happen when the car is out of warranty is going to be cutting a new grommet into the DME box. Until then, going to keep the cowl for a added bit of protection.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #29
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Do people really think 10lbs will make a difference? Guess I should drop a deuce before I go for a drive...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #30
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
Do people really think 10lbs will make a difference? Guess I should drop a deuce before I go for a drive...
If you are interested in cutting weight, then 10lbs is a big difference, especially for one part that is simple to get rid of. When you start to combine 2, 3, or 5 things that save 10lbs each, it will definitely make a difference. In the drag racing universe, every 22-25lbs saved roughly equates to a tenth of a second shaved. People go nuts to scrape their sound deadening material off and for what? I guess it depends on how extreme you're willing to go.

But yes, you should always drop a deuce before you drive! Who wants to poop away from home?

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 02:31 AM   #31
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
If you are interested in cutting weight, then 10lbs is a big difference, especially for one part that is simple to get rid of. When you start to combine 2, 3, or 5 things that save 10lbs each, it will definitely make a difference. In the drag racing universe, every 22-25lbs saved roughly equates to a tenth of a second shaved. People go nuts to scrape their sound deadening material off and for what? I guess it depends on how extreme you're willing to go.
Understood. I've removed these pieces a couple times and it's not something I'd want to drive around without. But I guess it won't hurt anything
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 11:08 AM   #32
EGO_CHECK
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135I ManTransmission

Garage List
I've been thinking about purchasing these. I haven't been able to find a post where someone had a major issue with them. The easy access to remove jb tune is the main draw for me. Really concerned about a heavy down pour.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #33
osiris1010
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 space gray 335i

I just did this mod to my 09 n54 and the sound coming from the engine is incredible I just wish it was a way to keep the wire harness and battery cable some how on a better position.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 06:21 PM   #34
EM58NDS 135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M135i

Does anyone know if the M3 cowl mod works on the 135i? It seems real popular over on e90post.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:43 PM   #35
ThatKidDavid
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by diazr1843 View Post
I just did this mod to my 09 n54 and the sound coming from the engine is incredible I just wish it was a way to keep the wire harness and battery cable some how on a better position.
Debating...really wanna hear the n55 turbo, but not tryna spend $200 on an intake with the only gain being sound. If there's a safe fix for those wires and cables I'd be down
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 01:27 AM   #36
Nicklv_m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22' M3 Comp, 21' X3 M40i

I've got a 2013 135i with these. I've been running them at least 6 months now in heavy rains, washing car etc. no water gets in under hood, I hear lots more turbo noises, I'm sure there is better air flow and cooling also.. And I got a JB4 also. I cut the stock rubber grommets where all the factory cables run into and put the JB4 wires in there also and they're completely protected and sealed off.

Well worth the money and weight savings!!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 02:27 AM   #37
Juggernaut135i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Stage 2

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Also worth noting is that you can't remove the cowl if you have an OEM Alarm. There's a Bonnet (Hood) pressure switch mounted to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM58NDS%20135i View Post
Does anyone know if the M3 cowl mod works on the 135i? It seems real popular over on e90post.
Yes I recently posted on the thread. The part number are there for it. I just ordered my cowl filters. People are seriously over reacting to this. I've worked on cars my whole life. Built them from the ground up. What needs to be waterproof is waterproof, BMW doesn't cut corners when it comes to that (I.e the ECU box). Also the engine is water proof on it own. If you have stock air intake or just a cover one you can literally spray your engine with water. It's water tight. Some people really know what they're talking about here, but some don't. I'm sorry. Not trying to be mean. It's a replacement. Bmw didn't want it to look cheap, that's all. The BMW coal filters look cheap but we like them (well I will like them in a few days) cuz of the noise from the engine and I plan on putting an oil catch can from BMS. This will help me empty it more often so I don't have to remove the vowel every time. No one honestly cares about the weight when doing this mod.
BC Racing coilovers
M3 control arms
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 03:18 AM   #38
katsooba
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

just to be clear, i am not blaming the cowl filters.

had my cowl filters on in the last year, while driving, washing, raining and whatever

car ran fine, atleast i thought so
one day my car wouldnt start, no matter what i did, the starter would turn forever but car will not start, all elertronics were working fine

hooked up a code reader - 25 or so "short to ground malfunctions"
i am like, what the heck? how did EVERY component fail??

opened up the hood
took out the coils just to find this out

Name:  IMG-20170103-WA0015.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  117.8 KB

apparently water went in the through the coils straight through to the plugs, and i guess that after a year of heat\cold cycles, the water finally shorted out the sparks straight to the engine and it fried my ECU
i mean totally fried!
anyway, 6 new plugs, 6 new coils and a new ECU from BMW later the car runs great, smoother than ever [no fluctuating RPM at idle too!]
so the first thing i did was to install the cowl back, and i left the cowl filters on

so its just a friendly heads up to all

i have to mention though - i have removed BOTH engine covers, front and rear, leaving the entire engine head exposed

i hope that everyone will learn from my mistakes
      05-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #39
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1

Hmm...So you can use the cowl filters with the cowl still installed for protection from rain? If you're leaving the cowl installed, what would be the benefit of using these BMS filters instead of the HVAC?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 11:17 PM   #40
shawnj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inevitab1e View Post
Hmm...So you can use the cowl filters with the cowl still installed for protection from rain? If you're leaving the cowl installed, what would be the benefit of using these BMS filters instead of the HVAC?

Seems pointless. One or the other.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 11:21 PM   #41
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Absolutely none whatsoever. The only reason these BMS filters exist is for the purpose of deleting the cowl. The cowl adds weight and needs to be removed to perform most service/repairs on the engine so it's just annoying to constantly be removing and reinstalling it, even though it only takes 3-4 minutes.

If you're leaving the cowl in place but running the BMS filters, you are literally achieving nothing. The only thing that's going to do is marginally increase the likelihood of getting water through the filters and into the vents and creating mold.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 12:07 AM   #42
Juggernaut135i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Stage 2

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
After 85k miles my stock cabin filter looked nasty so instead of spending however much he OEM one is I got these. Don't need the HVAC plastic thing now. And the BMS ones are washable vs the OEM one which is not. So if you're ready to replace your filter anyway, these work great.
BC Racing coilovers
M3 control arms
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #43
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: n54

For several months, i ran with cowl off but with stock cabin filter still fitted (with 4 bolts instead of 6) which is pretty similar to a BMS cowl filter i guess.

I got a problem (trifecta lights) with my ABS pump/module, which is located to near end driver side, i don't know it's related to running without cowl (probably not).

From my perspective :

Pros :

- Engine, intake suction, turbo spool, much louder
- More room to work on the car, check lines, intake connections, fast removing of engine cover (the best advantage in my opinion)
- Lower oil temperature

Cons :

- Injectors sound also much louder
- Less protection about water (DME - engine - ABS)
- lots of leafs/dirty falling in the engine bay through the windsheild

Some people claims that the cowl has an utility about cooling (like high air pressure at speeds) and that removing it is worst for cooling, but i don't know if it's really the case cause my car runs higher oil temperatures with cowl (and i never do trafic jam). It also seems warmer when opening hood after a ride.

Does one has more informations about this??

Cause I just put back the cowl on, and i immediatly noticed a higher oil temperature at normal speeds.

I will check IAT temperature when i have the time to log to see if it's higher too.
(i have logs of IAT without cowl)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #44
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio54 View Post

Cause I just put back the cowl on, and i immediatly noticed a higher oil temperature at normal speeds.

I will check IAT temperature when i have the time to log to see if it's higher too.
(i have logs of IAT without cowl)
I noticed around a 5-10 degree oil temp drop removing the cowl.
Appreciate 0