BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
s.aif001
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Life After The 1M...

For those who haven't seen the 'Project ADL' heres a link..
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=935600

So sadly after 2 and a half years with the 1M I decided to sell it, and get a little run around in the mean time while I got I wanted next.

I took a few weeks to decide what run around I was after, I was thinking of a 2.0 diesel golf, but then I thought I still wanted to have a little fun, and before I knew it I had bought a R56 Cooper GP and woah what a decision I made, it is a beast!

I know a Mini is stereotypically a girls car, but definitely not this one, this beast flies. I also know a lot of you will say but would you pay that much for a Mini, but you don't appreciate how well its built until your drive one, the most fun I have ever had in car, from flying round a corner in a 1M previously with the back end kicking out, to going round a corner at 60 in this and it completely sticking to the ground.

I have had it remapped, and had the exhaust de-silenced, and the crackling noise the exhaust makes me tingle every time I hear it, honestly its a beautiful sound for all those who haven't heard it before.

Let me know what you guys think, and stay tuned for whats next
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
s.aif001
Rep

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

I drove a MKI and MKII Cooper S for five years before getting a 1M. The limited GP edition was and still is very high on my list of cars I would like to own. I'd say you made a good choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
ticamihai2003
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper S, BMW 118d sport

MAN You just made my day. I do not have a way to test either a 1m or a gp2 and after reading your thoughts I think I switched back to the mini . I love minis and have a Cooper s but have always felt like it needs an extra something and was thinking the GP would solve this for me but still wasn't sure if the 1m would be better.

Can you tell some more thoughts and comparisons between the two? How is one compared to the other when it comes to leaving with it every day . Do you ever miss the 1m when driving the GP and if yes can you say why?
Do you feel like having 2 seats only is inconvenient ?
Do you miss RWD when you feel like having more fun on a twisty road?
What about the driving position in the mini compared to the BMW?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticamihai2003 View Post
MAN You just made my day. I do not have a way to test either a 1m or a gp2 and after reading your thoughts I think I switched back to the mini . I love minis and have a Cooper s but have always felt like it needs an extra something and was thinking the GP would solve this for me but still wasn't sure if the 1m would be better.

Can you tell some more thoughts and comparisons between the two? How is one compared to the other when it comes to leaving with it every day . Do you ever miss the 1m when driving the GP and if yes can you say why?
Ummm, to the OP, congratulations! Honestly, to each their own! but to you your question... I always thought this review was funny in it's comparison to the Mini GP (at about 3:15 in the video)

I know we 1M'ers are always really proud and biased...but I just can't really see a comparison. They are completely different cars for different purposes. I've owned a classic mini that would trounce a new GP, but I don't lament the loss of it to get my 1M...not even for a minute.

Not trying to blast the OP, really it is a fun car! But there are plenty of reasons why everyone (professional journalists and owners alike) love the 1M. Just my opinion...and about everyone else's who has driven a 1M...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
that Mini is cool.....but not something i'd ever want to trade a 1M for....not even close.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 03:26 AM   #7
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 130i E81

Garage List
Wow what a change! Mini is a beaut but damn dude you had a bmw 1m ...I woudnt be able to do this haha :P. id kill for a bmw 1m!!

My bro had the vert supercharge mini and they sure were fun but rattled and its front tires never lasted for more than a year then the sides would be bald.

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 03:32 AM   #8
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

Good choice I suppose. The GP mini is a great car .
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 05:01 AM   #9
s.aif001
Rep

Quote:

They both have things in common, and are both different aswell. They both turn heads regardless of where you are, people stop to take photos of both cars, people asking what the hell you are driving because they have never seen it before . But the 1M was a beast, RWD was so much fun, and you also had the option to take it easy, and relax in the 1m it was much more comfortable, where as with the Mini it just lures you into downshifting and flying round corners, and less comfortable with a much stiffer suspension. they are both very hard to compare, but both brilliant in different ways.

To all the people commenting on the post saying they could never go from a 1M to a Mini, remember its temporary, its just a little run around until my new toy arrives
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 05:05 AM   #10
s.aif001
Rep

Quote:

Also two seats isn't really a big issue for me, as i very rarely have more than one passenger, but if needs be, I take my dads m5
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #11
Nagata-San
Homyseed
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 1M AW

I'll go GT3 then !
Team Homyseed
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #12
ticamihai2003
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper S, BMW 118d sport

Guess I'm back to my dilemma. I'll have to find a way to test drive both at least briefly. I could not bare the thought of buying one and then driving the other and feel bad about my initial choice.

I'll find a dealer somewhere in Europe that has both in stock and see if they'll allow me to test drive them.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 10:42 PM   #13
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

the miini is a beast, it doesn't have to be manual for great fun!
      10-11-2014, 11:29 PM   #14
DBE
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Congrats saiifqadiir001!

We really, really love our GP2. We got it because my wifes 05 JCW was starting to give us trouble about 18 months ago which just happened to coincide the GPs release.

On paper it really doesn't look much better than the normal JCW, but the difference when you drive it really is incredible. I went into the test drive not expecting much as I've driven allot of perf cars (including 1Ms) and I was completely blown away. This car is just so quick and sharp! Its fantastic to drive. As I say we love ours. Great choice!

Appreciate 1