XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
Almighty_Adrian
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 3.0si

Water leak in cargo area

As the title states, I found water in my cargo area specifically in the little "bucket" near the fuse box cover and directly under it. I haven't check the battery area but I'm assuming there's some there as well. I've seen this once before but I thought nothing of it since it was like a drop of water in that bucket, but today the bucket is half full. I checked my headliner and my entire carpet and I found no water stain or wet floor mats. Has anyone had this problem?

Oh, and I did a search on Google and I came across a link about a e53 having a similar problem. The person was talking about a drain plug that gets clogged up in the rear gate, I tried looking for a similar plug but no avail, unless I was looking at the wrong place.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
Da M3nace
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty_Adrian
As the title states, I found water in my cargo area specifically in the little "bucket" near the fuse box cover and directly under it. I haven't check the battery area but I'm assuming there's some there as well. I've seen this once before but I thought nothing of it since it was like a drop of water in that bucket, but today the bucket is half full. I checked my headliner and my entire carpet and I found no water stain or wet floor mats. Has anyone had this problem?

Oh, and I did a search on Google and I came across a link about a e53 having a similar problem. The person was talking about a drain plug that gets clogged up in the rear gate, I tried looking for a similar plug but no avail, unless I was looking at the wrong place.
I have this same problem but i can not locate the leak. One member suggested the sunroof drainage. I have no idea where this drainage is.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
Da M3nace
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Picpic

Pic
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Sunroof drain clogged?
      11-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Bad seal on rear tail light assembly?

[u2b]
[/u2b]
      11-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
Da M3nace
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5
Bad seal on rear tail light assembly?

[u2b]
[/u2b]
Thanks! This looks like it may be the source of the problem. Now to find new seals.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #7
wacuna
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 N52N engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da M3nace View Post
I have this same problem but i can not locate the leak. One member suggested the sunroof drainage. I have no idea where this drainage is.
Yes, in my case it was the sunroof drainage. It's located in top of the trunk, next to the hinges (there are two, left and right). There are to black rubber thingies with a tinny door attached to it. I just use a long wire to clean the passage and it did the trick. It was a nightmare to figure it out the leak,, but I'm glad is gone.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 10:23 PM   #8
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacuna View Post
Yes, in my case it was the sunroof drainage. It's located in top of the trunk, next to the hinges (there are two, left and right). There are to black rubber thingies with a tinny door attached to it. I just use a long wire to clean the passage and it did the trick. It was a nightmare to figure it out the leak,, but I'm glad is gone.
New update to an old post. Thanks for taking the time to contribute!

Gives me the motivation to check mine as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #9
kresty
Rep
Drives: X6 Black

Thanks for the info, I need to check my sunroof drain too - it got into the well with the lift gate computer and corroded the heck out of the board. (Anyone have a spare lift gate computer?)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 12:04 AM   #10
Turbotk
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 m3 e70 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kresty View Post
Thanks for the info, I need to check my sunroof drain too - it got into the well with the lift gate computer and corroded the heck out of the board. (Anyone have a spare lift gate computer?)
Lmao I need one also my sunroof drain screwed a whole lot up any more info on how to unclog these drains would be appreciated thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 12:06 AM   #11
Turbotk
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 m3 e70 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacuna View Post
Any more info on the drains located near the front of the car e70 x5.. much appreciated thanks. I’ll
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 09:35 PM   #12
FarukIM
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X5

Thank you so much for your time for writing discuss and suggestions on his. This is very helpful. During my research I came across below article which I would like to share with you guys.

The lawsuit concerns model-year 2004 to 2010 U.S. specification BMW 5 Series (E60 and E61) vehicles purchased in the United States or Puerto Rico (“Class Vehicles”). The lawsuit alleges that certain electronic components stored in the spare tire well of the trunk in the Class Vehicles are susceptible to water damage, caused either by clogged sunroof drainage tubes or by some other means of water ingress. Defendants have denied these allegations.

http://www.e6061wateringresssettlement.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #13
douglasholt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 M-Sport

Thank you for the posts

I know this is an old thread, but I just found a bunch of water in the right rear well area where the liftgate board is located today. I found it because I heard a strange ticking noise from the rear and then identified it as coming from this board which was clearly most from the water. I was able to remove and dry it (no visible signs of corrosion yet) and the ticking stopped. Now I will attempt to clear any clogs in the sunroof drains. I would have had no idea where to look if not for these helpful posts.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 12:06 PM   #14
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasholt View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I just found a bunch of water in the right rear well area where the liftgate board is located today. I found it because I heard a strange ticking noise from the rear and then identified it as coming from this board which was clearly most from the water. I was able to remove and dry it (no visible signs of corrosion yet) and the ticking stopped. Now I will attempt to clear any clogs in the sunroof drains. I would have had no idea where to look if not for these helpful posts.
It’s most likely not clogged. The tube that extends from the sunroof frame to the rear exit area is not snugged on. Over time the rubber loses the elasticity to be able to sealed tightly at the frame connection. I had a swimming pool in the trunk area from one of the hard rain. Use zip ties to tighten it or buy new bmw tubes. Zipties for me is all thats needed.
Attached Images

Last edited by TwinSnailz; 07-26-2019 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0