E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cruise Control Malfunction (Procede Install?)

05-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
frozenfire
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SG

Cruise Control Malfunction (Procede Install?)

So I just installed my procede v4 last night, I got it used so I can only use v4 for now, I am holidng off paying the extra $150 to unlock untill I can at least get it working right.

After my install I keep getting the "Cruise Control Malfunction " message on my idrive, or I dont get any message and I just see the cruise control as --- mph. Anyone have any idea of what is going on?

Yes I did search... all I could find was this thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453931
seems like the OP solved his probelm... But I have no idea how. My problem is pretty much the same.

I did triple check my procede connections (during college, I worked doing prototype and robotic equiptment testing so I know my way around cables and harnesses pretty well) with that said I am certain my procede is installed correctly (at least I am sure I did everything from the youtube video correctly).

I have the last v4 firmware that is posted on shivs site (firmware 29, w/maps 8-17), however I've read that there is a firmware 130... however I can't find that anywhere (I'm not even sure that would solve my problem).

Thanks for any help guys. If it has been answered before, please link it, I honestly couldnt find it.

Update from post #17
I a snaped some pics of what it looks like (taken on map 0). Those are the two things that it does, either:

1) nothing and stays with the --- mph (picture 1)
or
2) gives me a "cruise control malfunction" warning on my idrive and displays that on the gauges then (picture 2)

as for the events that trigger one or the other, I do not know, seems to show the first picture first, then eventually, if I keep messing with it the second... then when I turn off/on the car it starts again showing the first...
Attached Images

Last edited by frozenfire; 05-16-2011 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
onebadmofo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

You have correct maps for your transmission?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
frozenfire
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmofo View Post
You have correct maps for your transmission?
If shiv labeled them correctly, I do.

EDIT: If it matters, my car is a 6 speed and fully stock other than procede.
      05-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

U should have the command center on v4. Just reset all the adaptations and such. Do you have an xi by chance?
      05-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
frozenfire
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
U should have the command center on v4. Just reset all the adaptations and such. Do you have an xi by chance?
Reset addaptations? How do you do that? Would it do that automaticallly when the firmware is errased and a new one uploaded? I also cleared the codes this morning by doing the full throtle thing 2x this morning... That didnt help.
      05-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
jdbretz
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 X5d, '12 M3 ZCP, '12 F30

Here is the video that shows hows it works:

EDIT: When you updated the firmware, you did select the 6MT map correct? You may try to reload the firmware and maps and see if that fixes things for you. A work around to get you by is after the cruise shuts off, all you have to do is put the clutch in and release it and the cruise will come back on.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenfire View Post
Reset addaptations? How do you do that? Would it do that automaticallly when the firmware is errased and a new one uploaded? I also cleared the codes this morning by doing the full throtle thing 2x this morning... That didnt help.
No, u pull the cruise control stalk in until the needles move into command center mode and u can reset adaptations and other things there.

Worst case call Vishnu tech support for help. Also use the 4.xx Procede laptop software not 5.0.
      05-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
frozenfire
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
EDIT: When you updated the firmware, you did select the 6MT map correct? You may try to reload the firmware and maps and see if that fixes things for you. A work around to get you by is after the cruise shuts off, all you have to do is put the clutch in and release it and the cruise will come back on.

well my cruise control doesnt come on period (pressing the clutch would do nothing except, release the clutch). It just has the --- mph or it says "cruise control malfunction!"

and yes i am using the MT maps

Quote:
No, u pull the cruise control stalk in until the needles move into command center mode and u can reset adaptations and other things there.

Worst case call Vishnu tech support for help. Also use the 4.xx Procede laptop software not 5.0..
yeah i used software 4.20 on my laptop

i just reseted pretty much everything on there that seemed reasonable to reset. car seems to be running fine, just cant get the cruise control to work. I would call vishnu but they are only open M-F 9am-4pm PST I happen to also be working at that time and have no access to proper tools or my car at that time... (also I'm not too sure how willing they would be to help with a v4 that wasnt bought used)

any other ideas?
      05-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Did you reupload the firmware and maps by any chance? I have never heard of a cruise control malfunction on V4.

Searched and found two others with the same problem and they said it just started working after a while.
      05-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

Does the cruise work on Map 0? I was under the impression that it worked sometimes, but randomly shut off. Not that it didn't work at all, my bad. I am stumped. Send Vishnu and email at sales@vishnutuning.com and see if they have suggestions. They may have something for you to try.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
frozenfire
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you reupload the firmware and maps by any chance? I have never heard of a cruise control malfunction on V4.
yeah i tried searching and couldn't find anyone with that issue.

i uploaded firmware "pro4v29.bin" and maps "8-17 6MT.pdc"
using software v4.20 on my laptop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbretz View Post
Does the cruise work on Map 0? I was under the impression that it worked sometimes, but randomly shut off. Not that it didn't work at all, my bad. I am stumped. Send Vishnu and email at sales@vishnutuning.com and see if they have suggestions. They may have something for you to try.
Yeah it never works at all. I tried map 0 and map 1. I'll try and send them an email.
      05-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
yeah i tried searching and couldn't find anyone with that issue.

i uploaded firmware "pro4v29.bin" and maps "8-17 6MT.pdc"
using software v4.20 on my laptop...
Yeah if you got it off procedetuning.com that's probably the last known good V4 Procede firmware/map.
      05-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CS

Not to get off topic but Shiv sounds like Obama!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
frozenfire
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah if you got it off procedetuning.com that's probably the last known good V4 Procede firmware/map.
actually the download link at procedetuning.com leads to a file that my computers (all 3 of them) for some reason can't uncompress (winzip or winrar) so i used the ones found here: http://www.vishnutuningforum.com/vie...b671b08c017a6b

anyone know or think this could be solved thru an upgrade to v5? I am planing on doing it pretty soon, but trying to get it all squared off before buying it. I wouldnt want to get it and then have it still not work...
      05-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #15
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

This is simply guessing, but it could have something to do with the road speed sensor. I read where Shiv was talking about the fix for the cruise control issue (randomly shutting off) in the V5 firmware having something to do with that. Maybe when you installed the harness one of the pins didn't line up exactly right and its not making a good connection. If that were the case and it was the pin that the road speed sensor connected to that might explain what's going on. Like I said though that is sheerly a guess, and I could be way off. You may try pushing in on all the pins in the Procede harness and seeing if it starts working again.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #16
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT3 iN NyC View Post
Not to get off topic but Shiv sounds like Obama!
off topic but funny

Never had the chance to talk to Shiv myself. Robert is always the one picking up the phone for me. Very helpful guy
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #17
frozenfire
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is simply guessing, but it could have something to do with the road speed sensor. I read where Shiv was talking about the fix for the cruise control issue (randomly shutting off) in the V5 firmware having something to do with that. Maybe when you installed the harness one of the pins didn't line up exactly right and its not making a good connection. If that were the case and it was the pin that the road speed sensor connected to that might explain what's going on. Like I said though that is sheerly a guess, and I could be way off. You may try pushing in on all the pins in the Procede harness and seeing if it starts working again.
I tried a few times. I checked the conections a few times too. Do you know what cable the speed sensor is on? I could try taking a multimeter and seeing if it is hooked up. I dont want to be checking each indivual cable to see if all them are connected properly...

I also snaped some pics of what it looks like just now (using map 0). Those are the two things that it does, either:

or
2) gives me a "cruise control malfunction" warning on my idrive and displays that on the gauges then (picture 2)

sorry for the crappy pictures, they were taken on my iphone at the speed shown below -_-'
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 07:02 AM   #18
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I tried a few times. I checked the conections a few times too. Do you know what cable the speed sensor is on? I could try taking a multimeter and seeing if it is hooked up. I dont want to be checking each indivual cable to see if all them are connected properly...

I also snaped some pics of what it looks like just now (using map 0). Those are the two things that it does, either:

or

sorry for the crappy pictures, they were taken on my iphone at the speed shown below -_-'
I'm not sure which specific pin it is. Since you said you have a multi-meter, it shouldn't take too long to run a continuity test on each pin in the harness (keep in mind there are some wires in the harness that aren't used). It may be quicker though to get in contact with Vishnu. I am past the guessing phase at this point. Hope you get it all works out though.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #19
frozenfire
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure which specific pin it is. Since you said you have a multi-meter, it shouldn't take too long to run a continuity test on each pin in the harness (keep in mind there are some wires in the harness that aren't used). It may be quicker though to get in contact with Vishnu. I am past the guessing phase at this point. Hope you get it all works out though.
Yeah I emailed them and sent them a couple PM's last night, really hoping they at least have some knowledge into what may cause this. I dont use cruise control that much, and everything else seems fine, I just tend to be OCD about getting things to work right...

Otherwise I may have to spend a couple hours saturday or sunday checking each conection with a multimetter

Update (6/4/11):
for anyone having the same issue, I suggest for you to contact robert@vishnu or any other vishnu team member.
they will be much more helpful than anyone as they have more knowledge and access to the PROcede

Last edited by frozenfire; 06-04-2011 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #20
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Okay Now I have this Cruise Control Malfunction on my idrive after updating new map/firmware? OP how did you fix the issue??
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #21
335okc
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaminz View Post
Okay Now I have this Cruise Control Malfunction on my idrive after updating new map/firmware? OP how did you fix the issue??
Did you use the right firmware? I had this problem before when I skipped a step when installing the pwm. Make sure you're not loading the dedicated meth firmware by accident.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #22
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
Did you use the right firmware? I had this problem before when I skipped a step when installing the pwm. Make sure you're not loading the dedicated meth firmware by accident.
thanks I will upload them again but I am sure I uploaded correct 11-1 stg 3 map.
Appreciate 0