F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > iPhone 6 Or 6+
GetBMWParts
View Poll Results: iPhone 6 Or 6+
6 (4.7") 87 55.06%
6+ (5.5") 48 30.38%
Can't Decide 23 14.56%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

09-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #45
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Is it wrong that I still like my 4S?
      09-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #46
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
I'm going to sound like a fanboi, but Android puts the tech out first and Apple perfects it.
Yeah, 'cause they sure "perfected" LTE (Samsung tech Apple uses) during the entire year before the 5 and Jobs didn't see it becoming popular nor widely available at the time (Sept. 2011)...boy, he sure was right, wasn't he?

The lack of LTE in the 4s and availability of it in San Antonio at the time was what kept me out of an Apple Product. I was enjoying the LTE on my, then, S2 Skyrocket for a full year. This from someone who's on their second iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #47
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
I find it amusing how Android users have the need to point shit like this out, like it's a high school pissing match.

"HURR DURR I'M A BETTER CONSUMER THAN YOU ARE"

All this image points out to me is that both phones are overkill on features. I'd be happy with either and would pick the one that feels most comfortable to me.

I can only imagine how fun that Ron guy must be. I'm picturing some kind of smug basement dweller.
i find it amusing how you think it's a pissing match.
in a pissing match both sides at least have something to piss or throw at each other.
      09-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #48
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
I find it amusing how Android users have the need to point shit like this out, like it's a high school pissing match.

"HURR DURR I'M A BETTER CONSUMER THAN YOU ARE"

All this image points out to me is that both phones are overkill on features. I'd be happy with either and would pick the one that feels most comfortable to me.

I can only imagine how fun that Ron guy must be. I'm picturing some kind of smug basement dweller.
i find it amusing how you think it's a pissing match.
in a pissing match both sides at least have something to piss or throw at each other.
are you retarded
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #49
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revartr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmund View Post
Question: I have AT&T, iPhone 5, upgrade in November. My mom can upgrade right away. Can I buy the phone 6 in her name and when it comes in, I just pop in my sim and she can use my old 5? That way, I can give my November upgrade to my brother.
Yes, you can. I have AT&T, and my parents NEVER upgrade their phones. So I just use their upgrades instead. And I even have grandfathered Unlimited Data.
Awesome, Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #50
filip75
Facetious
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M4

I will get the 6. It's about the same size at the Galaxy S5
      09-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #51
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
I'm going to sound like a fanboi, but Android puts the tech out first and Apple perfects it.
I agree Apple products just work smoother. Anything just works that much better.

My last two phones were android products. But now that Apple finally has larger screens, I will go back to Apple. About time.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #52
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Yeah, 'cause they sure "perfected" LTE (Samsung tech Apple uses) during the entire year before the 5 and Jobs didn't see it becoming popular nor widely available at the time (Sept. 2011)...boy, he sure was right, wasn't he?

The lack of LTE in the 4s and availability of it in San Antonio at the time was what kept me out of an Apple Product. I was enjoying the LTE on my, then, S2 Skyrocket for a full year. This from someone who's on their second iPhone.
The reason the iPhone didn't gain LTE until the 5 was because it required two radio's( one for LTE and another radio for GSM/CDMA). That was a design compromise Apple wasn't going to make due to the extra space it would take up and extra power draw. So they waited until Qualcomm made a radio that had LTE and GSM/CDMA combined.

And it is well known what Jobs states at the time is to be taken with a grain of salt. It's a part of his sales pitch to sell the current product. One year he bashed flash storage, etc. The very next year the iPod Nano came out. Says video on a MP3 player sucks, next year the iPod Video came out, etc. Telling people the real technical reasons why won't sell the product such as the two radio deal with the early implementation of LTE. It's all marketing. And Jobs was damn good at it.

Anyway leaning toward the 6 Plus.

Last edited by quagmire; 09-10-2014 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #53
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

So I gotta ask, granted it's different strokes for different folks, but why do so many people like the bigger screens/phones? About a decade ago everyone was focused on making phones smaller and thinner. Now the trend seems to be the opposite. People are carrying tablets around using them as phones. I see the utility in a bit larger screen but 5.5"? That seems like a lot of phone. That's one of the reasons why I didn't go with the Samsung Note 2.

I suppose if you actually do work on it then it's understandable. However, if it's just for basic uses, is a phablet really that portable?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 12:49 AM   #54
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
The reason the iPhone didn't gain LTE until the 5 was because it required two radio's( one for LTE and another radio for GSM/CDMA). That was a design compromise Apple wasn't going to make due to the extra space it would take up and extra power draw. So they waited until Qualcomm made a radio that had LTE and GSM/CDMA combined.

And it is well known what Jobs states at the time is to be taken with a grain of salt. It's a part of his sales pitch to sell the current product. One year he bashed flash storage, etc. The very next year the iPod Nano came out. Says video on a MP3 player sucks, next year the iPod Video came out, etc. Telling people the real technical reasons why won't sell the product such as the two radio deal with the early implementation of LTE. It's all marketing. And Jobs was damn good at it.

Agreed. Before that GSM and CDMA were separate chips. And smartphones would need several chips to support different frequencies/bands etc. Not to mention if we all believed what Jobs said there would be not such thing as an iPhone and iPad. But we all know that's that not true.
      09-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #55
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

Ok, so going with my original statement, you're saying it wasn't Apple who made the combination radio? It was Qualcomm...and that means Apple, themselves, didn't perfect a damn thing (which is the statement I am contending here). So there goes that argument... My S2 Skyrocket was the same size as the new iPhone 6. Please, keep the excuses for Apple's shortcomings rolling right along...

Quote:
I agree Apple products just work smoother. Anything just works that much better.

My last two phones were android products. But now that Apple finally has larger screens, I will go back to Apple. About time.
And this is what I did...I waited for Apple to play catch-up before picking up an iPhone, because I actually agree that their overall operation is smoother, in general. I just can't stand it when people equate Apple with "latest and greatest" and words like "perfection". It's utter bullshit.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #56
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Ok, so going with my original statement, you're saying it wasn't Apple who made the combination radio? It was Qualcomm...and that means Apple, themselves, didn't perfect a damn thing (which is the statement I am contending here). So there goes that argument... My S2 Skyrocket was the same size as the new iPhone 6. Please, keep the excuses for Apple's shortcomings rolling right along...
Who says I was disagreeing with your argument about Apple perfecting things? I was just stating the reason why the iPhone didn't gain LTE until the 5 and why Steve Jobs statements about why his products lack certain features with a grain of salt. Those statements about LTE is pure marketing. And it isn't excusing Apple's shortcomings per se because I agree with Apple's stance towards a lot of things and the LTE thing is one of them. I don't want space dedicated towards a separate LTE radio and further decrease my battery life due to the extra power draw just so I can brag to fellow spec whores about having LTE who try to claim a product is better because it has more features in a spec sheet battle. You have a 13 MP sensor? Who cares if the lens and sensor itself is a POS how many MP the camera has. MP does not mean better quality pictures. So on and so on.

But I do have an issue with Apple's quest on absolute thinness. I would gladly accept my phone being 7.8 mm thick( the same as my 5) if it meant a bigger battery( thus better battery life). My iPhone 5 is plenty thin enough. Part of the reason I am going with the 6 Plus is due to the better battery life.

But it isn't a new practice to give credit ( or blame) to the company that makes the total package, not the supplier. BMW made a great engine, vehicle, etc. No credit towards the suppliers that had to engineer the parts to BMW's specs. The N54 had a POS HPFP? BMW sucks. No blame on the supplier.

Last edited by quagmire; 09-11-2014 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #57
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

so after thinking about this all day yesterday, i will be going with the 6. holding my friends note 2/4, galaxy s5, etc the 6plus is way too big for me to use on a daily basis.

although it is slim and slides into pockets well, it is always a bitch to sit down and having the thing poke out. also when i put it to my ear it looks damn weird .

my biggest factor is daily basis having to constantly pull it out pocket checking texts, etc just seems like a hassle.

when holding nexus 4 which is about same size as the 6, it felt right.

preorder 12pm pst 3 am est
      09-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #58
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
So I gotta ask, granted it's different strokes for different folks, but why do so many people like the bigger screens/phones? About a decade ago everyone was focused on making phones smaller and thinner. Now the trend seems to be the opposite. People are carrying tablets around using them as phones. I see the utility in a bit larger screen but 5.5"? That seems like a lot of phone. That's one of the reasons why I didn't go with the Samsung Note 2.

I suppose if you actually do work on it then it's understandable. However, if it's just for basic uses, is a phablet really that portable?
You already figured it out. Phones started getting larger when we started doing more with them. The more you do on the phone, the more real estate you'll desire.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #59
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

will stick with my 5s for a while after launch date, im guessing i will end up getting the 6 cuz the 6+ is just too big for a phone
      09-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #60
bkM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Vert 6MT Carbon/Black

Quote:

for me, as long as it fits comfortably in my pocket it works for me. im thinking about upgrading to the note 4 from my galaxy s4 but i would need to see how comfortable it is to have in my pocket all day. the S4 sits very well in my jean pocket.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #61
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

As i've said countless of times... no matter who makes the phone, we have hit a peak of usefulness for 99% of consumers. Every feature in nearly every phone for about the past 5 years has been recycled. LTE was a big deal... but that was about it. Battery life is the 2nd most useful thing that should be explored and is IMHO the obly uswful feature that should be expanded upon at this time.
      09-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #62
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revartr
Quote:
Question: I have AT&T, iPhone 5, upgrade in November. My mom can upgrade right away. Can I buy the phone 6 in her name and when it comes in, I just pop in my sim and she can use my old 5? That way, I can give my November upgrade to my brother.
Yes, you can. I have AT&T, and my parents NEVER upgrade their phones. So I just use their upgrades instead. And I even have grandfathered Unlimited Data.
Another question: does the iPhone 5 and iPhone 6 use the same kind of SIM card?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #63
DemolitionJim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 MW M3

Quote:
they should both take the same sim cards as they changed to the mini ones on the 5's and should be the same for the 6's i believe unless they are a different format all together.

anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but that is what i have heard from a rep at at&t.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #64
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:

There's a lot more people use their phones for now. We shouldn't even really call them phones anymore; they are tablets or computers that are able to make phone calls. A decade ago, we didn't have the technology or the wireless data network to stream music, watch movies, what have you...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #65
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionJim
Quote:
they should both take the same sim cards as they changed to the mini ones on the 5's and should be the same for the 6's i believe unless they are a different format all together.

anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but that is what i have heard from a rep at at&t.
Oh ok. I'm going to order my mom an iPhone 6. When it comes in, I'mma just put my sim in the iPhone 6 and she can take my current iphone 5.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #66
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

So a little off topic here but hey, why not?

I currently have an unlimited data plan on Verizon with my iPhone 5. I am on the fence between using my upgrade to get the 6 for $299 vs paying retail and keeping my unlimited data. Right now my usage is averaging 1.5 GB per month. To keep the bill on par I would have to go to a 2GB limited plan. I don't like that lack of headroom.

What would you do?
Appreciate 0