F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > I need a new workout...
Studio RSR

04-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
Precision
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 330CI

I need a new workout...

I am in need of a new workout, I am slipping in my fitness and it is showing.

Height: 5'10
Weight: 200lbs...

Issues to consider:

-I have shoulder impingement, I have a problem doing overhead stuff, I take a lot of time before workouts to stretch out with therabands, complex and akward lifts are not my thing.

-My arms are great, genetics are on my side between bi and triceps, some people have to do a ton of each to see the results I have strength and appearence wise but I do not put a lot of focus on things like curls.

-I hate cardio... I understand I need to incorporate some but where in the workout and what days as well as what I am doing needs adjustment so I don't burn myself out for the actual lifting part.

-Though I am a bit old and still in school I work late sometimes and have an odd eating and sleeping regiment so some perfect diet and schedule isn't realistic.

-I probably drink too often and don't really have a facts list of how bad it hurts my workouts. I didn't start going out drinking much until I was about 21 and kept a consistent weight of about 160-170lbs... I was not as strong but I was leaner for sure. I bet I probably end up drinking something alchoholic 3-4 days ish a week because I am stuck in a boring college town.

I tend to do one day back and bicep, the next chest and tri but my chest seems to be suffering, I do enough weight that I feel my chest isnt being targeted enough and my triceps end up burning out before my chest really gets worked out...

Here are examples of my workouts:

BACK/BI:

Standing curled bar curls: 3 sets of 12 reps @ 102.5lbs 8 @ 112.5lbs 6@ 122.5 lbs (for the last set I will curl a rep and bent row a rep until I hit 3-6)

Seated shoulder raises: 3 sets of 12 @ 30lbs 35lbs and then 40lbs

Bent over rows: 3 sets; 12 reps @ 112.5lbs 8 reps @ 122.5 and 132.5 for 6 reps

Lat pull downs: 3 sets of 12/8/6 reps @ 100lbs, 115lbs, 130lbs (I go lighter because of my shoulder

Seated rows: 3 sets 12/8/6 reps 80lbs-115lbs

CHEST/TRI:

I used to start off with 3 sets of 25 push ups as a warm up.

Flat bench press: 12 @ 135lbs 10 @ 185lbs 8@ 205lbs and a few at 225lbs. (I used to max at almost 300lbs, hit 8-12 reps @225lbs... I think my workouts are too inconsistent I am not close to what I used to be on bench but I also am not as good at push ups as I used to.

Skull crushers 3 sets 12 @ 102.5lbs 10 @ 112.5lbs and 6-8 @ 122.5lbs

Incline bench: 3 sets of 12 @ 135lbs

Tri pull downs: 3 sets 12 @ 72lbs 10 @ 80 lbs 8 @ 87lbs...

I can't do fly's because it puts too much strain on my shoulders. So I sub with seated ones with the padded verticle forearm pieces.

I do legs as well but am tired of typing and dont have a leg strength issue.

I want a new functional well rounded workout. I need to lean up and fine tune some things, my workouts are boring I have done the same crap for years.
      04-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Try PHAT by Layne Norton

http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-f...ated-2011.html
      04-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Precision
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
I just did day one, so far so good, I think the rack chins are something to get used to and I had to sub the dips for tri pull downs because my shoulders dont like them, the shoulder press isn't fun either but I managed to pull those off at a light weight and more controlled form.
      04-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision View Post
I just did day one, so far so good, I think the rack chins are something to get used to and I had to sub the dips for tri pull downs because my shoulders dont like them, the shoulder press isn't fun either but I managed to pull those off at a light weight and more controlled form.

Good stuff. When doing the rack chins focus on your lats and bringing your elbows down and somewhat in.
      04-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
strams
Hi there
Rep
Drives: BMW

me too..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
ussoldierforhire
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

I like Chris's training split. Has some good videos and describes the supplements to take. Good body transformation routine.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris...ner-intro.html
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussoldierforhire View Post
I like Chris's training split. Has some good videos and describes the supplements to take. Good body transformation routine.

looks crazy! i wanna try it!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
ussoldierforhire
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
looks crazy! i wanna try it!
Yeah, I'm dont like to follow any routine to a T. Everyone's body is different and responds differently to things. I take his training split and adhere to about 90% of it. Adding and taking away things that I like to do. I have a spinal fusion so anything that's overly strenuous on my lower back is out.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

Quote:
Yeah, I'm dont like to follow any routine to a T. Everyone's body is different and responds differently to things. I take his training split and adhere to about 90% of it. Adding and taking away things that I like to do. I have a spinal fusion so anything that's overly strenuous on my lower back is out.
yea i also have a disc problem on my lower back so any workout related to my lower back is out. also his meal plan is kind of hard for me, since i love eating whatever i want but i know imma have to change that habit since what i eat is really not good for the body, and i also gotta quit smoking...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 02:37 AM   #10
ionahead
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:

wow, I'll be able to try this in 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
ussoldierforhire
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionahead View Post
wow, I'll be able to try this in 2 weeks.
Why in two weeks?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #12
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

just do beachbody insanity
      06-07-2012, 02:51 AM   #13
Terraforce1
If you ain't first, you're last!
Singapore
Rep
Drives: '14 Boxster GTS + 14' 1199 S

Try doing Kris Gethin's DTP.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
SSSnakeman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330

You sound like me in some ways. I was in the Marines and lifted for years. For the past 2 years I've been training BJJ and divide my small amount of regular gym time between weight lifting and stretching. I also do some hiking and kayaking etc. I've pretty much given up on lifting for it's own sake and am much happier overall. My suggestion is find hobbies that allow you to get a workout as well as knowledge/enjoyment. It's just more efficient. It really depends on your goals but this is what has worked best for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #15
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

By your own admission it looks like your might be overweight? and should focus on getting healthy and lean first so when doing body weight based movements pullups, pushups etc you are lighter and there is less wear and tear on your already strained/damaged joints. Growing up I was super athletic and enjoyed all the benefits of being healthy. As I got older I let that slip and now have shoulder issues, forearm issues, knee issues, achilles tendon issues, all because

1. I was to big for my own good and was weightlifting to much without any real world purpose behind it besides getting big and strong. My old mindset was push more weight, get stronger where as now my mindset is more so what if i can deadlift 420lbs... id rather be able to deadlift 250lbs 20 times safely, controlled, strong and have no injuries and be healthy and feel good after)

2. once to big this caught up to me fast!!!! and I found myself frequently overtraining, this combined with also having a history of athsma my breathing was all fucked up as well. The results, I found i started having alot more injuries. I had to change my focus to being healthy (diet plus athletic focus workouts rather than just strength) and not just crazy strong and big.

3. I lost weight, i was around 245-250lbs and ended up getting to around 200 at 6'2

4. My joint pains which were actually debilitating for the most part went away which was HUGE for me, i went from doing around 50 pushups, 100 situps, 8-10 pullups with joint pain which would stop me, to doing over 100 pushups, 350+ situps, and around 40-50 pullups with no pain... all because i lost a shitload of useless weight and focused on functional strength, healthy eating. I could loose even more weight now ... maybe another 10 lbs as i have been lazy lately but overall i feel fast, lean, and healthy. I am comfortable where i am now and I can say my functional strength, cardio, and breathing, is hugly improved!!

A couple ass kicker workout challenges I have tried for fun after getting my base cardio levels back had been:

deadlift to burpee combos
deadlift 110% your body weight 5 reps
followed by 10 burpees (with pushup at bottom)
repeat as many times as possible ( as you tire make sure you really focus on doing proper deadlift form !!)

100 Burpee challenge
See how fast you can do 100 burpees with a pushup at the bottom. Alot of people do burpees down to plank/pushup position and dont do the pushup, well in this challenge do the pushup. You might want to puke, it might hurt a bit, but its worth it and a good challenge, give us your time at the end maybe we can start a forum challenge

Do HIIT, Crossfit, etc - good for fitness, and functional body weight workouts.

Last edited by M3Denver; 07-19-2012 at 01:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #16
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

I hadn't worked out in years and recently started going with some friends. They are doing the 5-3-1 workout and I started doing that with them. I have been making some pretty good gains on it. Look it up and see what you think.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #17
bigEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

This transformation is amazing. I stayed true to the diet and the workout. Starting weight was 233 (I'm 6'3") and end weight was 206. Still have some work to do, but I am way bigger and more toned then I have ever been. I started my second cycle of this 3 weeks ago and once I am done I will be doing his 4 week DTP trainer being released on Aug 6th! I am focused more on bulking now that I have slimmed down so for my second cycle i changed a few supplements and my meal plan slightly. Do it, its the best program I have ever done!
AUTOcouture Motoring| 15-01 Pollitt Drive #6 | Fair Lawn, NJ 07410 | P: 201.666.3500 | ACMallday@gmail.com
Appreciate 0