E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Front LSD

07-14-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
BoostLover99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Soon to be '07 335xi

Front LSD

I reading a post by an e90 member who'd installed a Quaife or Wavetrac limited slip differential into the front diff of an xi but can't seem to find it any more.

I'm looking for compatibility information, install "gotchas" etc.

Has anyone else done this? The rear LSD installation (welded ring gear scenarios included) is well-documented and I'm comfortable doing it but need a bit of hand-holding for the front.

In *theory* the front LSD install should be easier, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I just removed and re-installed my front diff. Now, I can't tell you anything about likmited slips or installing a different front diff, but maybe I can help you with removing and installing.

IIRC, off the top of my head:
1. Remove belly pan.
2. Remove control arms, tensions struts, and tie rod ends from steering knuckle, and remove sway bar (attached to subframe and to a "rod" on the strut/knuckle).
Now, I'm not sure if you have to totally remove subframe, but I did.
3. Loosen subframe bolts and place a tranny jack or some kind of jack under sub frame.
4. With those bolts a bit loose, see if you can get a wrench on the power steering lines from the pump. Remove the power steering lines from pump (watch out for dripping fluid).
IIRC, another power steering line is attached to the front of the subframe. I can't recall if that needs to be removed or if you disconnect lines at pump if that will take care of that.
5. Unbolt coolant line as it attaches to the front of the subframe (you might want to do this step earlier if you wish).
7. Unbolt steering u-joint from power steering rack.
8. Once most of these parts are unbolted/removed, you can remove subframe. There are six bolts that attach sub-frame to frame. The power steering rack is attached to the subframe. I removed the bolts (2, near the front) attaching rack to sub-frame. Not sure if you can pull subframe with rack on it, but I think you can.
9. Once subframe off, you can get to differential. You will need to get the axles out of differential (the passenger side axle goes through the oil pan to the diff). The differential is attached to the oil pan. To get axles out, I just got two big screwdrivers and put the blade in the "slot" between the diff (driver's side) or oil pan (passengers side). Take the two screwdrivers, and working on one axle at a time, put blade in slot and turn blade. It takes a bit of work but they will all of a sudden pop off (there is a clip inside differential that is on the axle that you are trying to get to "compress" so axle will slide out). It's easier than maybe I described.
10. Pull out axle (watch for dripping fluid). Drain diff.
11. The diff is held on by 4 bolts, I think, to the oil pan. remove rear drive shaft from diff first, then remove diff.
12. You will need to replace the seals and axle clips, plus other seals (although I don't reall any off top of head).

Anyway, that's kind of a quick run-down on what you need to do. Please excuse me if I forgot a step, but I think that's pretty much it. It might seem like a lot, but it's not that hard.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostLover99 View Post
I reading a post by an e90 member who'd installed a Quaife or Wavetrac limited slip differential into the front diff of an xi but can't seem to find it any more.

I'm looking for compatibility information, install "gotchas" etc.

Has anyone else done this? The rear LSD installation (welded ring gear scenarios included) is well-documented and I'm comfortable doing it but need a bit of hand-holding for the front.

In *theory* the front LSD install should be easier, right?
i believe the front diff housing is physically smaller. I searched for proof of this myself outside this forum and have yet to find any info of installing an LSD in the front.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

Can you actually install LSDs in XI cars? Wouldn't that totally mess up the computers?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 12:27 AM   #5
BoostLover99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedawg View Post
I just removed and re-installed my front diff. Now, I can't tell you anything about likmited slips or installing a different front diff, but maybe I can help you with removing and installing.

IIRC, off the top of my head:
1. Remove belly pan.
2. Remove control arms, tensions struts, and tie rod ends from steering knuckle, and remove sway bar (attached to subframe and to a "rod" on the strut/knuckle).
Now, I'm not sure if you have to totally remove subframe, but I did.
3. Loosen subframe bolts and place a tranny jack or some kind of jack under sub frame.
4. With those bolts a bit loose, see if you can get a wrench on the power steering lines from the pump. Remove the power steering lines from pump (watch out for dripping fluid).
IIRC, another power steering line is attached to the front of the subframe. I can't recall if that needs to be removed or if you disconnect lines at pump if that will take care of that.
5. Unbolt coolant line as it attaches to the front of the subframe (you might want to do this step earlier if you wish).
7. Unbolt steering u-joint from power steering rack.
8. Once most of these parts are unbolted/removed, you can remove subframe. There are six bolts that attach sub-frame to frame. The power steering rack is attached to the subframe. I removed the bolts (2, near the front) attaching rack to sub-frame. Not sure if you can pull subframe with rack on it, but I think you can.
9. Once subframe off, you can get to differential. You will need to get the axles out of differential (the passenger side axle goes through the oil pan to the diff). The differential is attached to the oil pan. To get axles out, I just got two big screwdrivers and put the blade in the "slot" between the diff (driver's side) or oil pan (passengers side). Take the two screwdrivers, and working on one axle at a time, put blade in slot and turn blade. It takes a bit of work but they will all of a sudden pop off (there is a clip inside differential that is on the axle that you are trying to get to "compress" so axle will slide out). It's easier than maybe I described.
10. Pull out axle (watch for dripping fluid). Drain diff.
11. The diff is held on by 4 bolts, I think, to the oil pan. remove rear drive shaft from diff first, then remove diff.
12. You will need to replace the seals and axle clips, plus other seals (although I don't reall any off top of head).

Anyway, that's kind of a quick run-down on what you need to do. Please excuse me if I forgot a step, but I think that's pretty much it. It might seem like a lot, but it's not that hard.
Awesome - mega thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
BoostLover99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post
i believe the front diff housing is physically smaller. I searched for proof of this myself outside this forum and have yet to find any info of installing an LSD in the front.
That would be bad. I guess I'll find out!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 12:30 AM   #7
BoostLover99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
Can you actually install LSDs in XI cars? Wouldn't that totally mess up the computers?
People have done the rear w/o issues. We'll find out if front & rear gives us any issues.

I miss the Evo's AWD but not the NVH (noise, vibration, harshness)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

This poster was thinking about replacing the front diff...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...95&postcount=7
      07-24-2010, 03:00 AM   #9
BoostLover99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808AWD325xi View Post
This poster was thinking about replacing the front diff...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...95&postcount=7
Thanks for finding this - I've been looking for this thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Your welcome.