F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Next Generation F20 1 Series 5-door vs 2 Series AT
GetBMWParts

09-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #1
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Next Generation F20 1 Series 5-door vs 2 Series AT

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
With the forthcoming 1 series destined for FWD orientation, will BMW continue with the 2 series Active Tourer? And if so, why?

The two will, judging by current pricing structure, be almost identically priced and of very similar size (& both 5 door hatchbacks)!! Surely building a single model would be substantially more cost effective!!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

It's much the same situation Mercedes has today with the A Class and B Class. They share some similarities obviously, but still cater to different people with different needs.

I read somewhere that BMW will combine the 2 Series AT and GT into one vehicle for the next generation (codenamed U08, allegedly). If true, that should alleviate any potential overlap because the new combined offering would inherit the GT's longer wheelbase, making it a much more capacious offering than the 1 Series 5-door.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It's much the same situation Mercedes has today with the A Class and B Class. They share some similarities obviously, but still cater to different people with different needs.

I read somewhere that BMW will combine the 2 Series AT and GT into one vehicle for the next generation (codenamed U08, allegedly). If true, that should alleviate any potential overlap because the new combined offering would inherit the GT's longer wheelbase, making it a much more capacious offering than the 1 Series 5-door.
Yes I guess the next 2 AT has to become more of a mini MPV than a mere hatchback to differentiate it from the 1 series. I am looking forward to seeing the new 1er which I guess won't be revealed until well into next year!?
Appreciate 0