E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > New suspension worth it?

01-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
xi330
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi w/ 6mt, sport, nav

New suspension worth it?

Hate to start a new thread but I am looking for advice as to whether or not it would be worth investing in new suspension - if i missed an answer in the other threads please direct me to them.

2006 330xi Sport (120k miles) with AA tune and love everything about the car. The rear suspension has been leaking for about 20k and the front suspension is doing its best to surpass the rear. Daily driver - about 30k a year w/ 500 mile weekly commute through some of the best back roads in PA and NJ - potholes can be an issue (subconsciously believe I would rather hit a telephone pole than a pothole).

Guidance appreciated on:
-worth investing x,xxx in suspension to get couple more years out of the car? will clutch or X need repair/ replace soon?
-recommendations for good suspension replacement - looking at 60/40 for quality-and-comfort of ride over performance. Log a lot of miles and not getting any better looking
-is there a way to improve current quality to eek out another 30k? Way to improve without investing x,xxx for a new set up?

Appreciate your time as most input is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

No need to spend more than a grand. Just change your struts/shocks out. Since comfort is more important you can go expensive (Koni FSD - ~$800) or just OEM-style replacement (Bilstein Touring - ~$350). Then there's everything in between (Bilstein HD, Koni Sport, etc.)

Go on TireRack, see what's available, start reading reviews, and see which one works best for your tastes...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi330 View Post
Hate to start a new thread but I am looking for advice as to whether or not it would be worth investing in new suspension - if i missed an answer in the other threads please direct me to them.

2006 330xi Sport (120k miles) with AA tune and love everything about the car. The rear suspension has been leaking for about 20k and the front suspension is doing its best to surpass the rear. Daily driver - about 30k a year w/ 500 mile weekly commute through some of the best back roads in PA and NJ - potholes can be an issue (subconsciously believe I would rather hit a telephone pole than a pothole).

Guidance appreciated on:
-worth investing x,xxx in suspension to get couple more years out of the car? will clutch or X need repair/ replace soon?
-recommendations for good suspension replacement - looking at 60/40 for quality-and-comfort of ride over performance. Log a lot of miles and not getting any better looking
-is there a way to improve current quality to eek out another 30k? Way to improve without investing x,xxx for a new set up?

Appreciate your time as most input is appreciated.
I would suggest replacing the suspension. There are replacement options that will not break your budget and will allow for an extreme improvement in ride quality. For example, Koni yellows will be less than a grand and have vastly better dampening capabilities than the stock shocks (even if they are not leaking).

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
xi330
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you for the input. Will start with tire rack and talk to my local guy about hours to replace. What's your guess for labor time?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
xi330
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi330
Thank you for the input. Will start with tire rack and talk to my local guy about hours to replace. What's your guess for labor time?
Looked briefly and not seeing anything close to -$350. Can you share a source?
Commuting in northeast I go through wheels and struts like a champ but dropping the run flats has reduced the number of bent/ cracked rims.
Appreciate 0