F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Seat Retrofit from Base seat (non-heated) to Sport seat (non-heated)
GetBMWParts

05-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
RJCrew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M4 ZCP SO/SO

Seat Retrofit from Base seat (non-heated) to Sport seat (non-heated)

I have 335 Lux line and i hate the base seat specially when taking the curb when entering/exiting . I'm always sliding. My questions is,,Is it possible to retofit from a base into a sport seat. Looking at RealOEM http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...11&hg=52&fg=10
looks like it just need to change upholstery, thigh support and such and utilize the existing frame. Any inputs. Thanks

RJ
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
RJCrew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

111 views but no reply...i am assuming everyone has sports seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

I think the reason there hasnt been a response for you is that no one has tried it, even though all of us with base seats would like too. Your comment below:

"looks like it just need to change upholstery, thigh support and such and utilize the existing frame" thats pretty much rebuilding the seat. Not sure how you are planning on going about it but would be easier to take the seats out, take to a auto upholstery shop and have them add the bolstering to the bottom and top cushion like you want and then re-cover. Wont be cheap regardless.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

throught about this, but decided it wasnt worth it.. was just thinking even getting recaros or something would be cheaper..

but then i was looking at replacing the whole seat, just changing the bottom cushions might be significantly cheaper

nonetheless, let us know how it goes, if its in the hundreds not thousands, i might consider it too
      05-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

No reason it would not work, mounting points and wiring harnesses should be the same.

I have done seat upgrades on past cars like my Saab 9000 that I put in Aero seats that bolted in and wiring clipped in, even got the memory function to work when my original car did not have it. Only issue is $$$, you're best bet is to find a set out of a wrecked car.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
RJCrew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys for inputs, I'm still doing my research inquiring prices and part numbers from the dealership and online for some of the parts listed in RealOEM. The problem I have encountered is my color Saddle Brown which only produce for other countries beside US. I also trying to examine my friends sport seat if has the same frame or parts. I'll let you know.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

any luck?
      07-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
ReddRight88
Rep
Drives: 335i Sport

My only regret w/ my purchase is the seats. At first blush, I thought the sport seats main selling point was the thigh extension. I really didn't see or realize the lack of lumber support initially by the standard chair. Strong interest here in knowing what your solution is RJCrew.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

I changed my whole interior on my old e92 335i to a brand new e92 m3 interior. The seats are basically plug and plug. You just need to source some sport seats to use. Look on ebay or online for seats. Easy swap bolt out and in.. Electrical connecters are the same on the seats also. Just make sure you unplug your battery and keep the key away from the car

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
BLUEFIRE
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 328i luxuryline 2013

Exclamation

Hi!
I'm a new owner F30 328i sedan luxuryline with standard manuel seats (non heated) as of last 2 months. I have the same problem as you have. I still can not find ideal driving position. I am sliping from the seat in the curbs and the seats make back pain. I was driving BMW E90 316i before my new F30 (I still have E90). I am very happy with standard seats in E90 and have no seat problems. (That's why I ordered standard seats for my new F30). After driving F30 for 2 months, I drove my E90 again and understand that E90 seat provides more lumbar support (I felt better). I am very surprised that BMW produced worse seat in a new model! It's incredible!!!!
I decided to change the standard seats with sport seats and spoke with BMW service but I learned that its impossible because of wires. Is was angry and sorry. They said that E90 M3 seats fits wit F30. But E90 M3 seat may not be good looking in a F30.
I think there is two problem about seats. First: The lack of lumber support (and too flat back of the seat) which must give posture for the back of body to press the superior and lateral part of seats. And second: superior-lateral part of the seat in not enough for supporting body. I think adding lumbar support will solve the most of the problem. Then I tried to find solution of this problem in internet. I find the same sites for retrofit lumbar support. But I didn't retrofitted the standard seat to add a lumbar support yet.
I wonder if you solve this problem or not. Because if you succeeded, it will solve my problem too. I will be very happy if you answer. Or did any one solve this seat problem by any other way? I'm waiting for your suggestions.
I wish all good drives for everybody.... By...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 01:40 AM   #11
cartaa100
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i, 640i, X6M50d, X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92ben View Post
I changed my whole interior on my old e92 335i to a brand new e92 m3 interior. The seats are basically plug and plug. You just need to source some sport seats to use. Look on ebay or online for seats. Easy swap bolt out and in.. Electrical connecters are the same on the seats also. Just make sure you unplug your battery and keep the key away from the car
Hey mate I'm doing this retrofit this evening, any other good points or little tips?

Why does the battery need to be disconnected? Also does this effect the car when you re connect and turn the car on?

Cheers,
Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 01:27 AM   #12
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaa100
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92ben View Post
Hey mate I'm doing this retrofit this evening, any other good points or little tips?

Why does the battery need to be disconnected? Also does this effect the car when you re connect and turn the car on?

Cheers,
Tom
The battery needs to be disconnected and the key away from the car. That prevents air bag light going on. Also just take your time don't rush at all. The front seats are very simple the rear seats were a bit harder.

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0