XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
iMore
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5 E70 3.0si Premium

Red face Tail Light Help...Please!

Hello All...

I have an 09 E70... Just purchased about 3 weeks ago, used, from the dealership. I noticed just last week, that my drivers side liftgate tail light is out. (the inner LED strips) I've read that its common, and that its covered by warranty. When i purchased the vehicle, i opted for the extended warranty since the vehicle was just past the 50k mile mark.

I'm pretty sure i drove off the lot with this issue... either that or my luck is just THAT bad. Anyhow, contacted the dealership to schedule the service, BUT the tech stated that this particular issue wouldnt covered under the 'extended' warranty plan, and would only be covered under the initial factory warranty. Is this true?

This was a service tech at BMW of Concord (CA.) Really wasn't any help. Seemed like he really didnt even know what he was talking about. His words:
"It's 'probably' just a bulb that needs to be replaced, but i'm not sure how to even get to it."
Well thanks for all your help, Mr! lol

The light doesnt affect funcion, just super annoying and looks tacky. Any suggestions, tips, links on what i should do next? I know theres a few out there threads already, but i cant seem to find them. Pretty sure from what i have seen though, it's more than just a "bulb."
Kind of affraid to attempt the fix myself without proper instruction. I'd have to go through the liftgate to get to the light, but with power liftgate and no real knowledge... i dont want to f*** things up even more!

Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
X5ist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMore View Post
Hello All...

I have an 09 E70... Just purchased about 3 weeks ago, used, from the dealership. I noticed just last week, that my drivers side liftgate tail light is out. (the inner LED strips) I've read that its common, and that its covered by warranty. When i purchased the vehicle, i opted for the extended warranty since the vehicle was just past the 50k mile mark.

I'm pretty sure i drove off the lot with this issue... either that or my luck is just THAT bad. Anyhow, contacted the dealership to schedule the service, BUT the tech stated that this particular issue wouldnt covered under the 'extended' warranty plan, and would only be covered under the initial factory warranty. Is this true?

This was a service tech at BMW of Concord (CA.) Really wasn't any help. Seemed like he really didnt even know what he was talking about. His words:
"It's 'probably' just a bulb that needs to be replaced, but i'm not sure how to even get to it."
Well thanks for all your help, Mr! lol

The light doesnt affect funcion, just super annoying and looks tacky. Any suggestions, tips, links on what i should do next? I know theres a few out there threads already, but i cant seem to find them. Pretty sure from what i have seen though, it's more than just a "bulb."
Kind of affraid to attempt the fix myself without proper instruction. I'd have to go through the liftgate to get to the light, but with power liftgate and no real knowledge... i dont want to f*** things up even more!

Thanks for your input!
I think your taillights need to be replaced, corroded from water...I replaced mine with a used pair from eBay

Some useful links

2011 Mini Cooper S Countryman All4 -Out 2007 MB ML63 AMG- Out 2007 Acura MDX SH AWD Elite Package - Out 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey iAWD - Out 2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD - Out2003 Infiniti FX35 AWD Tech Package- Out 2001 Subaru WRX - Out 1999 Subaru Forester S - Out 2003 Toyota Matrix XR AWD - Out
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
iMore
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5 E70 3.0si Premium

Awesome... that's what i was afraid of. lol! I guess i can attempt to replace mine as well, just weary of removing that tailgate panel because of the power liftgate and wiring associated with it. Do you have the power liftgate and did you have any issues removing and replacing those lights?

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 02:11 AM   #4
X5ist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMore View Post
Awesome... that's what i was afraid of. lol! I guess i can attempt to replace mine as well, just weary of removing that tailgate panel because of the power liftgate and wiring associated with it. Do you have the power liftgate and did you have any issues removing and replacing those lights?

Thanks for the help!
No power lift gate, but I assume its the same, so you won't have any problem at all to remove the panel.
2011 Mini Cooper S Countryman All4 -Out 2007 MB ML63 AMG- Out 2007 Acura MDX SH AWD Elite Package - Out 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey iAWD - Out 2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD - Out2003 Infiniti FX35 AWD Tech Package- Out 2001 Subaru WRX - Out 1999 Subaru Forester S - Out 2003 Toyota Matrix XR AWD - Out
Appreciate 0