F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Auto Engine Shutoff
GetBMWParts

01-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Auto Engine Shutoff

Do any current US 6MT BMWs have the auto engine shut off feature when you place the car in neutral while stopped? The rental 3 series wagon I had in Germany would do that. To crank it back up you simply engage the clutch as opposed to depressing the engine start button. Just curious if this was a feature brought to the US. I found it annoying as hell, although no doubt it would save fuel.
      01-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

No I don't believe any models in North America have it as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Do any current US 6MT BMWs have the auto engine shut off feature when you place the car in neutral while stopped? The rental 3 series wagon I had in Germany would do that. To crank it back up you simply engage the clutch as opposed to depressing the engine start button. Just curious if this was a feature brought to the US. I found it annoying as hell, although no doubt it would save fuel.
How long does it takes for the engine to crank back on. It's a pretty dangereous feature IMO. When I ride my bike I always stay in first gear when I'm stopped in case I have to make a quick getaway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

i don't even see how that could save gas...you use a bit of gas (traditionally) just cranking the engine.

(I'm thinking stop and go traffic, stop sign neutrals, etc) REALLY don't like that idea
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

it would make more sense in traffic jams and is also an effort to reduce emissions

note that most hybrid vehicles already incorporate this feature (although EV propulsion is always on standby)
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

I had it as a rental in Germany while the M3 was getting its 1200 service. The feature is awesome, and the car is back on as soon as you depress the clutch. I loved it and I wish we had that feature here. If you are worried about safety, just leave the clutch pushed in and its completely transparent. I will say it was very disconcerting sitting totally dead at a light. Took some getting used to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I had it as a rental in Germany while the M3 was getting its 1200 service. The feature is awesome, and the car is back on as soon as you depress the clutch. I loved it and I wish we had that feature here. If you are worried about safety, just leave the clutch pushed in and its completely transparent. I will say it was very disconcerting sitting totally dead at a light. Took some getting used to...
Not mention every time I would pull up to the base gate guard I know they were thinking I stalled the car. Personally it's not my habit to sit at lights and such with the clutch pedal depressed. I'm not a big fan of it.