F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > *OFFICIAL* general photography conversation thread
GetBMWParts

06-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #661
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
Maybe I'm a bit confused here. The finer pixel pitch of the 7D (about 4.3 um vs. 6.4 um for the 5D2) should only provide more detail if the same lens is used in the same position (i.e. the 7D's framing is 1.6x tighter). If the 5D2 is moved closer to the subject so that the framing is the same then any pixel pitch advantage should be go away.

What I think The1 is saying is that the 5D2 has a stronger anti-aliasing filter and thus provides more blurring at the pixel level. This is possibly true, but I am surprised that this would be enough to negate the advantages of requiring 33% lower lens MTF to get the same level of detail (and to a lesser extent the advantage of 21 vs. 18 MP). And again, this runs counter to my own experience.

If we're talking about using the same lens from the same shooting position then I have no arguement - the 7D is a clear winner in detail. If, however, we're talking about equivalently framed scenes I reiterate my doubts: under these circumstances I've seen the 5D2 yield more image detail than the 7D.
I will play with these situations when i have some more free time, and if i can pull decent results i will post my findings one way or the other.

however, I did the tests as you pointed out from the same shooting position and cropped the images to the same size and still saw a difference. I will attempt with 2 shooting positions, but technically this won't matter as a crop body is really seeing the exact same thing as the FF, it's just throwing 40% of the image away giving the appearance of greater zoom.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #662
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
On a different note: what do you guys use for RAW conversion software? I'm pretty happy with DPP (having played with Lightroom and a couple of others).
this is something i have been experimenting with a lot lately as my picture skills are starting to get a lot closer to where i would like them to be. So i'm starting to turn more attention to the post processing end. (still working on my shooting abilities, but my primary focus is now probably 70% on the photo and 30% PP whereas before it was more like 95% photo and 5% post)

I've been playing with DxO and like it a lot, especially the lens correction aspect.

however, i've been playing with lightroom a bit more recently testing it's functions out, i find the lens correction a litte less capable, but a lot of the other "fill" "recovery" and such functions are a little more powerfull, so it's a trade off.

I gave up on the canon software early on, but may give it another shot at some point now that i understand a bit more of what's going on.

as for Photoshop. I need to spend a lot more time here to get to know it, I've only been using it in extreme circumstances if i want to remove an object or something that is too big for a dust removal type tool in other programs.

I attempted to use GIMP, but i found it used up a lot of system resources and didn't provide enough power to get the results i wanted, so i removed it. however it is a free program, so that is a big check mark in it's pros column. (everything else i have is pirated) I also tryed another program a buddy of mine recommended it was about 90$ but had a free trial, and i just never got used to it, so i let the trial expire and removed the program. He has had some good results from it, but as he is looking for something better, i think he still sees room for improvement.

so for now, i'm pretty comfortable with DxO and am getting more used to the functionality of lightroom, and liking it more and more every day.

I find the DxO auto feature is pretty impressive, and once i've let it do it's thing, i make minor adjustments to make things appear more how i would like then the computer thinks.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #663
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
On a different note: what do you guys use for RAW conversion software? I'm pretty happy with DPP (having played with Lightroom and a couple of others).
Adobe Camera Raw. I like the ability to get the WB just the way I like and the lens correction and other tools get your image 90% where you want it. Then you open it in PS and finish it.

And here's a site about exposing to the right. I'm sure Dave's seen this, but for the rest, here's a good place to start.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #664
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Adobe Camera Raw. I like the ability to get the WB just the way I like and the lens correction and other tools get your image 90% where you want it. Then you open it in PS and finish it.

And here's a site about exposing to the right. I'm sure Dave's seen this, but for the rest, here's a good place to start.
very interesting read.

thanks M_Six
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #665
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

anyone help me find lens correction in lightroom? or does it exist?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #666
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
this rodi.

Also, remember to stay hydrated.

What was this shoot for?
should i just start a thread? shoot was for the model.
going through and marking all of the out of focus ones, which is when i take the not-perfect-but-workable shots and put some crazy light/color settings on it just for fun.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #667
rodi
. . .
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
anyone help me find lens correction in lightroom? or does it exist?
it's under the Detail section with Sharpening and NR.
In the Lens Correction section, choose profile (auto) or manual.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #668
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Maybe I'm a bit confused here. The finer pixel pitch of the 7D (about 4.3 um vs. 6.4 um for the 5D2) should only provide more detail if the same lens is used in the same position (i.e. the 7D's framing is 1.6x tighter). If the 5D2 is moved closer to the subject so that the framing is the same then any pixel pitch advantage should go away.

What I think The1 is saying is that the 5D2 has a stronger anti-aliasing filter and thus provides more blurring at the pixel level. This is possibly true, but I am surprised that this would be enough to negate the advantages of requiring 33% lower lens MTF to get the same level of detail (and to a lesser extent the advantage of 21 vs. 18 MP). And again, this runs counter to my own experience.

If we're talking about using the same lens from the same shooting position then I have no arguement - the 7D is a clear winner in detail. If, however, we're talking about equivalently framed scenes I reiterate my doubts: under these circumstances I've seen the 5D2 yield more image detail than the 7D.

I'm speaking of shooting with the 7D AND cropping the resulting image to get a tight shot of something like a bird. Getting closer with a 5D2 is NOT an option, so if you used the 5D you'd have to crop to get down to equivalent to the uncropped 7D image and then crop again. The 7D's finer pixel-pitch will end up yielding more detail. IQ is also impacted by noise, so there'll be a compromise. I find that up to ISO 800 the 7D has good latitude and is foregiving of a less than perfect exposure, but when you get above that, you risk mosaicing affect and plain ole noise in the dark areas that don't start showing up with the 5D2 until a stop or two later.

When shooting most birds and most wildlife, you can't equivalently frame the 7D and the 5D2 with most of the lenses that we can afford, or have the strength to carry. If I'm not cropping and don't have to worry about AF speed, the 5D2 always comes out of the bag first, but the 7D is superior for most birds and wildlife shooting because of the cropping involved.

I use DxO's Optics Pro for RAW conversion and global correction. I seldom pull out PS because I try for natural presentation. In most nature photo contests you cannot Clone or remove parts of the image, other than simple cropping. (Some don't even allow cropping). Anyway, I like DxO automatic lens corrections and it's intuitive for me to work with.

Dave
      06-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #669
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

probably a new thread unless it's like 3 or 4 pictures, then wherever you like

i consider this an education, so post away my good man
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #670
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
should i just start a thread? ...
Oh yeah, I'd like to see more of her.
      06-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #671
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

post a new thread rodi. It's not often we see shots of models here.
      06-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #672
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
it's under the Detail section with Sharpening and NR.
In the Lens Correction section, choose profile (auto) or manual.
thanks, i was certain i had come across it once before, but couldn't find it today.... maybe im just slow today.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #673
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Since we're discussing PP and natural vs PP'd color, do you folks calibrate your monitors? I know that can make a huge difference in how your final image appears. I have dual monitors at work and home. In both cases the monitors are slightly different models. Same make and size, but at work, for instance, I have one Dell Ultrasharp and one Dell generic. I can PP an image on one monitor until it looks good to me and then it will look a little desaturated on the other monitor. And I always find that images I've PP'd on my laptop at home and load to the web look overblown when I look at them from work.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #674
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

I haven't played with that too much, however i just try to make sure my white appears as white as possible, and i find that pretty much evens everything else out.

I find a large factor in everything is how your monitor is backlit.

I'm currently on and LED LCD tv, and if i have it on eco mode or something, my pictures look a little funny as opposed to when i fully light it up.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #675
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

is there a barrel distortion type lens correction in lightroom rather then just the vignetting correction under detail?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #676
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Since we're discussing PP and natural vs PP'd color, do you folks calibrate your monitors? I know that can make a huge difference in how your final image appears. I have dual monitors at work and home. In both cases the monitors are slightly different models. Same make and size, but at work, for instance, I have one Dell Ultrasharp and one Dell generic. I can PP an image on one monitor until it looks good to me and then it will look a little desaturated on the other monitor. And I always find that images I've PP'd on my laptop at home and load to the web look overblown when I look at them from work.
I think that monitor calibration is very important. Most monitors these days aren't too horrible, but if you're is off it'll screw up everything that you do.

I've got a 24.1" NEC monitor that I calibrate monthly. I also try to keep the room relatively dark. My laptop also does a pretty good job, but I'm just lucky there. The laptop is way short of my NEC when it comes to brightness and contrast, but the color accuracy is amazingly good.

My office monitor is a Dell 24" monitor which is close to my NEC for color, but gets beaten pretty bad for brightness and contrast potential.
Dave
      06-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #677
rodi
. . .
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
is there a barrel distortion type lens correction in lightroom rather then just the vignetting correction under detail?
yes, but I think you need to use the file tab with Lens Correction. if it knows the lens, it'll do it for you. which version are you running?

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #678
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

This is so friggin' cool... It's a camera that allows you to adjust focus after you take the picture.

Check out the "picture gallery" to play around with it:

http://www.lytro.com
      06-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #679
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
This is so friggin' cool... It's a camera that allows you to adjust focus after you take the picture.

Check out the "picture gallery" to play around with it:

http://www.lytro.com
It's good at focusing near and mid, but the far focus is not clean. Looks like a novelty to me.
      06-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #680
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
It's good at focusing near and mid, but the far focus is not clean. Looks like a novelty to me.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #681
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

rodi, make a new thread for your model photos

btw, I was wondering, since you mentioned it, why did you use an ND filter in that first shot?
      06-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #682
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Dave, you're right. But, imagine the possibilities if something like this could be improved upon? I like how the inventor thought out of the box with this unique idea.