E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > bmw 325xi vs 328i

01-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
cmackenzie
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 4.4i

bmw 325xi vs 328i

Hey guys I am looking into purchasing a used BMW. i currently have a X5 but find that fuel prices are making it seem less like the cool car it is. My question is that I have narrowed the search down to 2 cars one is a BMW 325xi and the other is a BMW 328i. The major issue I have is that one is X-wheel drive where as the other is not, will I notice a big difference even if I have a good set of winter tires? As well in terms of standard equipment are there anythings that are drastically changed between the two models?

Sorry for the long post.
Many Thanks
C
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

There's no difference in standard equipment between the two. IMO (and that of BMWCCA tech advisor Mike Miller) few people actually need the awd function. I did fine in Chicago with a good set of winter tires on my previous 325i and traction control; awd is just one more thing to go wrong on the car. I'd only recommend it for places where they don't plow the roads.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

01-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Kylekuu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi, 84 318i

Really depends on your roads, I got the Xi, and it's good for times during snows, because they don't salt/shove the highways/roads until the snow has stopped or at night.

Also in my neighborhood they don't shovel really well so there is always a thin sheet of snow/ice. A i will work, but you have to drive alot slower and brake before turns. With the Xi, I just drive like i normally do regardless of weather.

So really depends on the roads you do drive around in, but both are do-able as long as the roads are clear when you do drive. + need to adjust your driving technique with snow on road
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I've always had a RWD car in my 10 years of driving in Toronto. It's not bad with winter tires and the traction control/stability control technology in cars these days make it hard to beat. The times when I thought it was very difficult to drive with RWD in the snow -- it was bad enough that I should not be driving anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Get the snow tires for either car and you'll be fine. AWD is going to help you get you moving, and the hill descent control is a nice feature. However, if you don't have enough grip on the tires, it doesn't matter whatsoever what your drivetrain configuration is.

IMO, having a good set of snows on the car is really as important as whether the car is RWD or AWD. AWD is great, but the tires are really the only things keeping the car on the road. The systems on the car can do a lot, but winter tires provide more available grip for the car to use.

Case in point. Last season I had all seasons on my car (RWD), and it slid around quite a bit. Didnt take it out much when it snowed, and wished I had AWD. This season I put Blizzaks on the car and the car feels like a tank by comparison. I actually drove around all day about a week ago when we were getting 10" of snow, and didn't lose confidence once. I think the combination of AWD and snows really would make the car as capable as any truck out there, but I don't want the extra weight and complexity of AWD for the three seasons out of the year when I dont need it.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
mercury26
Lord of the Rings
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 Audi SQ5,05 BMW 330i ZHP

Garage List
If you are used to AWD, then you will miss it. Now that I have owned cars with AWD, I hate driving cars without. Do people need AWD, hmmm not really. But do people even need cars to begin with, we could ride bikes, take mass transportation, etc. Heck, we could all live non-materialistic existence but do you really want to.

Since you are used to driving a X5 with AWD, then my guess is the extra sense of comfort and "go anywhere, anytime" ability will be missed.

I know for myself, not having AWD and saying I won't drive is not always an option. I travel quite a bit for work (read flying), sometimes I fly into town and the roads are crap. I have a 35 miles drive home, so I like having AWD to make the drive less stressful.

Cheers,

Chuck

Last edited by mercury26; 01-03-2010 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
lcs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i LCI

You will most likely do fine with RWD and a good set of snow tires for the roads in toronto.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
You might feel the x-drive weight more in the 325xi versus the 328i because it's a 325 versus a 328...

Did you try both out?

I chose to get RWD with winter rims & tires. There are trade-offs with both choices (xi or i).
      01-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
RAS100
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228xi Convertible

My vote would be for the awd model. I live in an area that gets a decent amount of snow and I have a fairly steep driveway so a rear-wheel (or front-wheel for that matter) would not work. Good tires are critical no matter which way you go.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
nyc3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury26 View Post
If you are used to AWD, then you will miss it. Now that I have owned cars with AWD, I hate driving cars without. Do people need AWD, hmmm not really. But do people even need cars to begin with, we could ride bikes, take mass transportation, etc. Heck, we could all live non-materilistic existence but do you really want to.

Since you are used to driving a X5 with AWD, then my guess is the extra sense of comfort and "go anywhere, anytime" ability will be missed.

I know for myself, not having AWD and saying I won't drive is not always an option. I travel quite a bit for work (read flying), sometimes I fly into town and the roads are crap. I have a 35 miles drive home, so I like having AWD to make the drive less stressful.

Cheers,

Chuck
+1, had to dig RWD car from street parking after being plowed in.. got out with DTC on + rocking action... with AWD, I just drive out.
Appreciate 0