F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > WSJ Article on BMW - End of Cheap BMWs for US
GetBMWParts

08-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #45
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Good riddance to cheap BMWs.

I for one cannot stand seeing every Buffy and Biff in LA driving a 328i.

$399/mo lease?? It's cheaper to drive a BMW than a Pontiac. It's ridiculous.

This DOES dilute the brand. If you're an enthusiast, you should be happy that maybe you'll get some exclusivity back.....

This "volume" strategy was short-sighted. So many companies, governments and people go down a path of "make more today, forget about tomorrow"... bites them in the azz too.

Find your market, build a good product and you'll make money. If you really like BMW, and the company deserves your car dollars, they will build a good product and you will pay for it. If you just want a nice hood ornament for a bargain price, buy a Civic and put a BMW badge on it like the other losers who don't even know what the car can really do.

08-07-2008, 08:30 PM   #46
simp0man
Not looking 2 SPEED, just looking GOOD
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
It just leaves us to see who is trully a bimmer loyalist. I am getting another one, thats a fact. Great cars that's for sure!
      08-08-2008, 12:22 AM   #47
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
Enthusiasts have killed more car companies than Father Time. Businesses don't need enthusiasts to survive - they need paying customers. Porsche teetered on the brink of bankruptcy catering to enthusiasts - it's the soccer moms that made them solvent.
Doesn't Porsche have the highest margin/car of anyone in the industry in addition to owning half the car companies in Europe? Was this a very long time ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 05:24 AM   #48
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Doesn't Porsche have the highest margin/car of anyone in the industry in addition to owning half the car companies in Europe? Was this a very long time ago?

That's because they don't spend money on R&D and can get away with taking many years to build an ugly car (Panamera).
      08-08-2008, 08:21 AM   #49
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
That's because they don't spend money on R&D and can get away with taking many years to build an ugly car (Panamera).
I sincerely hope that was a joke and not a serious statement from you TB.

If Porsche don't spend the money of R&D then they much have the best engineering team in the world, just winging it and always producing the best handling cars in the world.

Much as I dislike that continuing body style and that insistence for a rear engined layout I can't see any manufacturer with the exception of Ferrari which has the same engineering skill. If we were talking about footballers then I would be saying that BMW wouldn't be fit to tie their laces.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 08:48 AM   #50
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
I think you are quite confused on this.Porsche also offers their engineering services to other companies like Harley davidson for the development of the Revolution motors for the V-Rods.Porsche build great cars and I would probally be driving a 911 if they were not 50% more than an M3 in Canada.At least they come with brakes that are track ready as standard!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #51
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
I think you are quite confused on this.Porsche also offers their engineering services to other companies like Harley davidson for the development of the Revolution motors for the V-Rods.Porsche build great cars and I would probally be driving a 911 if they were not 50% more than an M3 in Canada.At least they come with brakes that are track ready as standard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I sincerely hope that was a joke and not a serious statement from you TB.

If Porsche don't spend the money of R&D then they much have the best engineering team in the world, just winging it and always producing the best handling cars in the world.

Much as I dislike that continuing body style and that insistence for a rear engined layout I can't see any manufacturer with the exception of Ferrari which has the same engineering skill. If we were talking about footballers then I would be saying that BMW wouldn't be fit to tie their laces.

Not confused and not kidding. If they actually sunk profits they skim off 911 buyers and soccer moms, Porsche could have a great line up.

They have overpriced Beetles and big trucks

The only interesting car for me is the Cayman S.
      08-08-2008, 09:59 AM   #52
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Not confused and not kidding. If they actually sunk profits they skim off 911 buyers and soccer moms, Porsche could have a great line up.

They have overpriced Beetles and big trucks

The only interesting car for me is the Cayman S.
The Cayman S is way too underpowered for my tastes.The 911's are still the benchmark for a true drivers car.The sport-utes are another story however,but they give Porsche the resources to keep building wonderful cars.I have the use of a 997 cab and it is really a great car to drive,but it is way overpriced compared to the M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #53
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
The Cayman S is way too underpowered for my tastes.The 911's are still the benchmark for a true drivers car.The sport-utes are another story however,but they give Porsche the resources to keep building wonderful cars.I have the use of a 997 cab and it is really a great car to drive,but it is way overpriced compared to the M3.

The reason why the Cayman S is under powered is they need to protect the 911. With a 911 engine the Cayman would kill the 911s.
  • Protect an inheritently flawed platform
  • Cripple a good new platform
  • Build 5000lb trucks
This is Porsche today and it sucks. BMW is going down this path.
      08-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #54
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
TB, I'm sorry mate but I can't take anything you say seriously. Part of that is down to the fact you drive an M6, which is the biggest underachiever in the entire BMW line-up.

Gearhead,

May I suggest you get yourself on to a track with a Cayman S, hopefully against some 997C2, C2S and the odd M3. Then tell me if it's power is holding the thing back.

You are right in saying that Porsche offer and are used by a shit load of other manufacturers. Few are their equal on such things, one name springs to mind, that of Lotus but I can't think of to many banging on BMW's door for such work.

I can't see where TB's comments are coming from, in fact I don't know of any enervations that BMW have brought to the show compared to the names listed above.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #55
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
TB, I'm sorry mate but I can't take anything you say seriously. Part of that is down to the fact you drive an M6, which is the biggest underachiever in the entire BMW line-up.

Gearhead,

May I suggest you get yourself on to a track with a Cayman S, hopefully against some 997C2, C2S and the odd M3. Then tell me if it's power is holding the thing back.

You are right in saying that Porsche offer and are used by a shit load of other manufacturers. Few are their equal on such things, one name springs to mind, that of Lotus but I can't think of to many banging on BMW's door for such work.

I can't see where TB's comments are coming from, in fact I don't know of any enervations that BMW have brought to the show compared to the names listed above.
I have and was disapointed in a few aspects of the car.My wifes old GTI DSG was quicker at the end of a 1/2 mile straight than the Cayman S was.If the Cayman had 400 BHP iam quite sure my opinion would be quite different as the handling and feedback were extremley good and almost viceless.Don't forget that I have actually owned a couple of 911's and I have a very broad appreciation of all great cars,not just one with a prop on the badge
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 12:29 PM   #56
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post

This DOES dilute the brand. If you're an enthusiast, you should be happy that maybe you'll get some exclusivity back.....

This "volume" strategy was short-sighted. So many companies, governments and people go down a path of "make more today, forget about tomorrow"... bites them in the azz too.

Find your market, build a good product and you'll make money. If you really like BMW, and the company deserves your car dollars, they will build a good product and you will pay for it. If you just want a nice hood ornament for a bargain price, buy a Civic and put a BMW badge on it like the other losers who don't even know what the car can really do.

+1. Great points.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #57
BMW-videos.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m5, heavily modded c6 corv

interesting
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #58
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post

Word, you and I might be some of the few that view this as a good thing BMW enthusiests. Especially those BMW fans with E92 M3's.... We could be entering some dark ages in the life of BMW meaning that the value of our M3's and the way they are viewed in history books will be positive... I can see it now "Due to economic crisis and high fuel prices BMW was forced to move away from its traditional motorsports based development program and focus on efficient gorcery getters. The E92 M3 remains a testemant to BMW's old design philosophy with its high output low displacement V8 representing the pinnacle of BMW NA engineering."

Jason
      08-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #59
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
The reason why the Cayman S is under powered is they need to protect the 911. With a 911 engine the Cayman would kill the 911s.
There's a tale going around the Porsche forums that some race team started running a Cayman with a 911 engine and suspension parts, and started dominating their class in racing. They were approached by Porsche after a few races, who gave them a 997 to race on the condition they'd quit racing the Cayman.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 07:04 PM   #60
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

You are just an idiot.
      08-08-2008, 07:06 PM   #61
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
There's a tale going around the Porsche forums that some race team started running a Cayman with a 911 engine and suspension parts, and started dominating their class in racing. They were approached by Porsche after a few races, who gave them a 997 to race on the condition they'd quit racing the Cayman.

My good friend actually races one of the few Cayman S in PCA events. Regularly embarasses even well driven GT3s.
      08-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #62
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Not to offend anyone but I am glad they are doing this. They should gedt back to selling less cars for more money. Will keep quality up and to be honest, if a 5% price hike pushes a BMW out of someone's reach, they should own one. I don't feel sorry for all the people out there who stretch to afford something they really can't afford. I didn't get my BMW till I could afford it with no stress, and afford to buy it.

Again, its not BMWs fault if you can't afford their cars and its not their job to make them affordable. I will like this new sales strategy and hope this maintains profits so they can maintain quality. Even if this means that certain high-end BMWs I will no longer be able to afford.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 02:45 AM   #63
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You are just an idiot.
I am not the one who made the most stupidiest statement ever, at least my comment is based in fact, with a lighter body, a lower center of gravity and semi-race compound tyres the M6 only achieved a drop of 4 seconds on the M5 around the ring. Many here believe the tyres on their own was account for 6~8 seconds, if so then all that hard work by M-Division produced a much slower car. At least every time Porsche work on a car they make quicker not slower.

I don't want to pick on you just because you dislike Audis, but when you comment on things that have no bases in fact and to everyone else sound like BS (which it is) then you put yourself out there to have shots taken at you.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 08:01 AM   #64
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
i am no porsche fan, but let the facts speak for themselves.
And your point is? BMW spent Euro 39M more in R$D in 07 over 06.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #65
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Not to offend anyone but I am glad they are doing this. They should gedt back to selling less cars for more money. Will keep quality up and to be honest, if a 5% price hike pushes a BMW out of someone's reach, they should own one. I don't feel sorry for all the people out there who stretch to afford something they really can't afford. I didn't get my BMW till I could afford it with no stress, and afford to buy it.

Again, its not BMWs fault if you can't afford their cars and its not their job to make them affordable. I will like this new sales strategy and hope this maintains profits so they can maintain quality. Even if this means that certain high-end BMWs I will no longer be able to afford.

Cheers,
e46e92
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 08:36 AM   #66
Skeptikal12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

It looks to me that the people who wanted to show the world they got money, are upset at the fact that the average joe next door is driving a car from the same company. A price increase for the rich guy only solidifies his image, because the average joe next door won't be driving one (and he can feel special about it).

BMW is in the business of making money first, and making cars second. They will do whatever it takes to accomplish the first, while trying to stick to the second.

BMW produces cars on a large scale, if you want to distinguish yourself there are plenty of better choices.
Appreciate 0