E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Surging. non smooth problems plus Service Engine light

08-07-2013, 03:00 AM   #1
Ryan335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Lightbulb Surging. non smooth problems plus Service Engine light

My problem is when I am in any map (JB4 ISO G5) apart from stock it is not smooth like stock.. very lurchy in first and when changing into 2nd it hesitates briefly like a missfire or stall ?? very weird.. I think I need to change the plugs at minimum and possibly coilpack #1 because it had thrown a Service Engine Soon light while I was WOT but then the light went off as I was crusing. I did not stop when the light came on. i just put it back in drive and went the speed limit (45) then after about 3-5 miles it went off and drove normally.

Also at part/low throttle in D or DS (when JB4 Active, I only ever run Map 1 or 5 all I have is DCI) the car has a very uneven surge type feeling compared to when in stock Map 0.

I'm think my solutions could be to change to coil pack one bank 1 (Cyl 1) as well as ALL of the spark plugs
because I went into my mech so he could diagnose the codes because i did have the JB4 check for codes and it did find them.. I didn't know at the time that I could read them without a computer myself..
I was also considering an intake valve clean via walnut shell blasting.
My final thing I can think of to resolve the surging uneven feeling on wot is to update the firmware of the JB4. I purchased mine off the forum so i'm not sure what version it currently has on it. I have the bms cable to be able to connect and update firmware, I just dont have a pc or have the cable connected. Do you think these fixes could resolve the problems I'm having?
any help would be much appreciated... short of sending a log to terry@BMS.

Kind Regards.

Update:
I Just put in Lucas Oil "Deep Clean fuel system cleaner" to my tank. I thought I was noticing a bit a difference, but while racing a Supra today (I Won, JB4 Map5 + BMS DCI) I, probably got up to about 80mph before hitting traffic up ahead at the lights.. I experienced a ServiceEngineSoon (SES) light right after the run. I put trans back into D continued to drive down the road and when I came to the next set of traffic lights my car was idling rough (like what I would call a missfire).
I then, against my better judgement, continued to drive to my intended destination. and then about 2 miles later, 4mins with traffic, the light went off and the car ran normally.
I have since been timid to go WOT until I get a better idea of what is happening, but I have gone about 50% throttle with no problems.. Car seems to start fine as well.. Just rattles like a sumunabitch! (Not turbo/wastegate related as far as I Know as the rattle goes away after a short period of time and it does not resonate with the engine when revving slightly (3k max).

Please Brainstorm with me people!
Appreciate 0