E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 325i LCI Briefly Died. Electrical problem. Need your thoughts!

12-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Exclamation 325i LCI Briefly Died. Electrical problem. Need your thoughts!

EDIT 2: So my auntie and family came up north to visit us today, which was a 230mls trip in her 325i. Halfway up, it conked out on the motorway completely. All electronics went, as did the engine and she was in the 'fast lane'. Thankfully, she said it restored power and restarted the engine within 2-3 seconds and carried on as it was so difficulty or an accident was avoided. But why would it restore power and restart so quickly when it was sat dead for ages last weekend until it decided to come back to life? Could it be a bad ECU? Faulty IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor)?

Again, I just had a drive of it and it was faultless.

ORIGINAL:

Hello E90ers, it's been a while! Strange issue with my auntie's BMW this afternoon so hoping for your thoughts...

It's a 2010 E90 LCI 325i, 6spd Step, low mileage (13,500mls). M Sport, Pro Nav, Xenons, Elec Folding/Dimming/Heated/all singing all dancing mirrors.

Came out to go to lunch with the family and rallied up my F30 whilst the only response her 325i gave to the unlock button was a beeping alarm, no hazards, no lights, no door unlock - completely dead apart from the alarm.
Manually unlocked the drivers door with the key, with the alarm intermittently sounding and got inside, no power at all. No red light next to the "P", no illuminated Start/Stop button, nothing at all. Put the key in the slot but absolutely dead apart from the alarm - not even the red light under the mirror was flashing!

So after a few more minutes of poking and prodding it, we decided to sod it, the alarm stopped sounding and we took their other car to go for lunch. A 2006 Fiesta if you're interested!

With it being very low mileage and often doing short runs, I fully expected the battery to be dead, though apparently it did not throw any warnings prior that the battery was in a low state of charge.

So just half an hour ago (10:30pm) taking the dog for walk, I noticed the red light under the mirror was flashing in the usual locked manner again! I grabbed the keys, it unlocked, the auto lights came on, all completely normal! Got in, it started straight up, iDrive boots, Xenons on, like nothing happened. Took it for a decent drive, all faultless. And it reminded me just what a joy the E90 is to drive! The M Sport suspension on 19's fidgets like f**k over the bumps but that hydraulic steering is just an absolute pleasure. And though a silly engine (for the UK especially) it's beautiful sounding and elegantly smooth - can't beat a straight 6 on those merits! Anyway...

The only indications something went wrong were a date/time warning as it had lost it and also the average MPG, MPH, etc values were reset. On the iDrive, the Check Control message centre in the Vehicle Information menu showed an orange alert saying the battery had been disconnected and date/time has been lost.

Needless to say, the battery hasn't been disconnected and the car hasn't been moved at all.

I kinda wish it was just the battery that had run out of charge as it seems something more sinister is going on! But what is it? Can you help at all?

Cheers!

EDIT 1:
On menu 18 (Check Control) of the hidden service menu, is this cycle of error messages normal? I released the parking brake during and prior to that message appearing but it still appeared so I'm lead to beleive this is a prescribed cycle. I didn't bother comparing it with my F30 as it's hidden menu system is quite different!

Could you tell me if this is normal or not for an E90 LCI? Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryXD...e_gdata_player

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)

Last edited by SomeRandomer123; 12-28-2013 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
DouggyB
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Hello E90ers, it's been a while! Strange issue with my auntie's BMW this afternoon so hoping for your thoughts...

It's a 2010 E90 LCI 325i, 6spd Step, low mileage (13,500mls). M Sport, Pro Nav, Xenons, Elec Folding/Dimming/Heated/all singing all dancing mirrors.

Came out to go to lunch with the family and rallied up my F30 whilst the only response her 325i gave to the unlock button was a beeping alarm, no hazards, no lights, no door unlock - completely dead apart from the alarm.
Manually unlocked the drivers door with the key, with the alarm intermittently sounding and got inside, no power at all. No red light next to the "P", no illuminated Start/Stop button, nothing at all. Put the key in the slot but absolutely dead apart from the alarm - not even the red light under the mirror was flashing!

So after a few more minutes of poking and prodding it, we decided to sod it, the alarm stopped sounding and we took their other car to go for lunch. A 2006 Fiesta if you're interested!

With it being very low mileage and often doing short runs, I fully expected the battery to be dead, though apparently it did not throw any warnings prior that the battery was in a low state of charge.

So just half an hour ago (10:30pm) taking the dog for walk, I noticed the red light under the mirror was flashing in the usual locked manner again! I grabbed the keys, it unlocked, the auto lights came on, all completely normal! Got in, it started straight up, iDrive boots, Xenons on, like nothing happened. Took it for a decent drive, all faultless. And it reminded me just what a joy the E90 is to drive! The M Sport suspension on 19's fidgets like f**k over the bumps but that hydraulic steering is just an absolute pleasure. And though a silly engine (for the UK especially) it's beautiful sounding and elegantly smooth - can't beat a straight 6 on those merits! Anyway...

The only indications something went wrong were a date/time warning as it had lost it and also the average MPG, MPH, etc values were reset. On the iDrive, the Check Control message centre in the Vehicle Information menu showed an orange alert saying the battery had been disconnected and date/time has been lost.

Needless to say, the battery hasn't been disconnected and the car hasn't been moved at all.

I kinda wish it was just the battery that had run out of charge as it seems something more sinister is going on! But what is it? Can you help at all?

Cheers!

There are endless possibilities when it comes to electrical issues, but my approach would be try and get this to happen again. You said the Start/Stop button did NOT illuminate? If I have this happens the first thing I do is unplug the IBS then try again. Then I would want to check the battery. Not just measuring voltage, but an actual battery test. We always use a Midtronics which can detect a dead or damaged cell & give a read out of the actual CCA available. I’m sure you could use an “old” carbon pile tester also, but I haven’t used one of those since high school! Was your Auntie’s vehicle one that got the infamous battery cable recall? If you don’t know, send me the last 7 of the VIN & I can check on warranty repair history. The usual reason for the time/date being reset is that the info the DME got from the IBS said the battery was at the minimum SoC for starting so it turned off KL30g_f. Or maybe that was only on E60’s, I can’t remember. Sorry this is kind of hard when the vehicle isn’t in front of me.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouggyB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post

Cheers!

There are endless possibilities when it comes to electrical issues, but my approach would be try and get this to happen again. You said the Start/Stop button did NOT illuminate? If I have this happens the first thing I do is unplug the IBS then try again. Then I would want to check the battery. Not just measuring voltage, but an actual battery test. We always use a Midtronics which can detect a dead or damaged cell & give a read out of the actual CCA available. Im sure you could use an old carbon pile tester also, but I havent used one of those since high school! Was your Aunties vehicle one that got the infamous battery cable recall? If you dont know, send me the last 7 of the VIN & I can check on warranty repair history. The usual reason for the time/date being reset is that the info the DME got from the IBS said the battery was at the minimum SoC for starting so it turned off KL30g_f. Or maybe that was only on E60s, I cant remember. Sorry this is kind of hard when the vehicle isnt in front of me.
Thanks for that reply! I can't get the car to do it again annoyingly...

I'll have a look at the IBS, is that the blue wire on the negative terminal of the battery itself?

The car is a UK model, wasn't the battery cable recall only Stateside? I'll go out shortly and find the VIN anyway.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Just checked the connections, all is well. Battery showing ~12V with Ignition on and 14V with engine running.

We're leaving this afternoon but they're visiting us after Christmas so will take another look at it then, but for now I think we'll just see how it goes!

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

On menu 18 (Check Control) of the hidden service menu, is this cycle of error messages normal? I released the parking brake during and prior to that message appearing but it still appeared so I'm lead to beleive this is a prescribed cycle. I didn't bother comparing it with my F30 as it's hidden menu system is quite different!

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Did you get the battery cable recall.

The one that goes to the fuse box in the cabin
or was your car one of the effected ones.
Most US cars had to have this done if they were from 07
on.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123

I've done the same on my car and got the same results as you. My car is a pre-Lci e90 however. I'm just curious as to what are you attempting with these tests?
      12-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
I've done the same on my car and got the same results as you. My car is a pre-Lci e90 however. I'm just curious as to what are you attempting with these tests?
That's good to hear then!

I was hoping the Check Control menu would show any errors that may have occurred. Same in menu 14 which shows memory error fault codes. No luck! Car has been absolutely fine today so not going to worry about it unless it does it again.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
The one that goes to the fuse box in the cabin
or was your car one of the effected ones.
Most US cars had to have this done if they were from 07
on.
No idea. Didn't think it would be effected with being a UK 2010.

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

EDIT 2: So my auntie and family came up north to visit us today, which was a 230mls trip in her 325i. Halfway up, it conked out on the motorway completely. All electronics went, as did the engine and she was in the 'fast lane'. Thankfully, she said it restored power and restarted the engine within 2-3 seconds and carried on as it was so difficulty or an accident was avoided. But why would it restore power and restart so quickly when it was sat dead for ages last weekend until it decided to come back to life? Could it be a bad ECU? Faulty IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor)?

Again, I just had a drive of it and it was faultless.

Appreciate 0