F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Please post your Squat Techniques
GetBMWParts

09-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
reelop19
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Please post your Squat Techniques

I'm working squats into my routine a lot more these days. I want an all around leg workout so that my leg development keeps up with my upper body. I'm 5'8" 165lbs and can't squat sh!t. I can max out at 225 but my form gets real sh!tty which is dangerous for me because it hurts my knees. Lately I've been doing some GVT, doing 6-10 sets of 135 trying build up my strength and keep my form real nice and tight. Please post up your routines that have worked for you
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

To do a good squat properly you must make sure your knees don't move forward when going down, Ive learned through out the years to make sure my knees don't pass my toes when dropping, so you must squat down like your sitting in a chair, I have no knee or back pains, its tuff to squat properly with twice your weight but can be achieved in time, i weigh 190 and squat 405 for 8RPS and clean and jerk 265 for 6RPS, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Look up Mark Rippetoe "Fixing the back squat" on YouTube.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

You want some leg mass? Try working some box squats in to your routine
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

I broke my form when squatting several weeks ago and strained my right quad. Since then I've been reluctant to do any squats when working legs but I know that I've just got to practice on my form. It's tough since I go to the gym by myself so there's no one to ask for critique of my form.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Get the book "Starting Strength"
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget
Get the book "Starting Strength"
One of the great ones!

Get some lifting shoes too.

Knees out!!
      09-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Handozizle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Make sure your knees are behind your toes when you go down. So it's like you're trying to sit on a chair. Lighten the weight and go down slow and controlled until you get the form down (no bouncing). Wear a belt and use a squat/step box if you have to.

Believe or not, you can get bigger legs by doing other stuff besides barbel squats. I have a bad lower back so i can't go too crazy with barbel squats. I've seen a lot of gains by doing leg press and hack squats to failure (with a spotter of course).
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
Nugget
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peahi View Post
One of the great ones!

Get some lifting shoes too.

Knees out!!
Yep, good book.
I find high top Chuck Taylors are good lifting shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handozizle View Post
Make sure your knees are behind your toes when you go down. So it's like you're trying to sit on a chair. Lighten the weight and go down slow and controlled until you get the form down (no bouncing). Wear a belt and use a squat/step box if you have to.

Believe or not, you can get bigger legs by doing other stuff besides barbel squats. I have a bad lower back so i can't go too crazy with barbel squats. I've seen a lot of gains by doing leg press and hack squats to failure (with a spotter of course).
I'd say don't wear a belt or use a box etc.
Get the basic squat correct first, it is the single best exercise you can do.
Done properly you will strengthen your knees and back not hurt them.

Few basics
-Stand feet shoulder width apart angled out around 30 degrees. This can vary slightly depending on your physiology.
-the bar should travel in a straight line up and down roughly over the middle of your foot.
-Focus your eyes on one point on the ground in front of you, don't try and look up like a lot of people do. It should be a straight line from the top of your head to your tail bone.
-Parrallel is when the crease of your hip is in line with your knee.
-Start the drive back up with your hips/butt.
-Push your knees out as you drive back up.

Don't try and lift too heavy until you get it right. Video tape your self and get someone to critique it or compare to people who have the correct form.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

knees about shoulder width apart , prevent any internal roatio/adduction, which will prevent unnessary torque/roation at the knee...make sure your weight is on your heels not toes when going into your squat. keep your stomach tight/neutral spine, avoid lumber extention/increased lordosis throughout the movement....

this is for any lower extremity closed chain movement/exercise..not just "squats"....

my leg exercises I shuffle and cycle thru:

leg press (double and single legs)
hack squats
reverse hack squats
dead lifts (usually with free weights, not a fan of using a straight bar)
split squat
lateral walks with resistance band
BOSU: squats and deadlights and split squats
plyometics: box jumps: double and single leg...

my cardio usually consists of medium paced long duration on the stair master rather than treadmill or cycle
      09-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
Nugget
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
knees about shoulder width apart , prevent any internal roatio/adduction, which will prevent unnessary torque/roation at the knee...make sure your weight is on your heels not toes when going into your squat. keep your stomach tight/neutral spine, avoid lumber extention/increased lordosis throughout the movement....

this is for any lower extremity closed chain movement/exercise..not just "squats"....

my leg exercises I shuffle and cycle thru:

leg press (double and single legs)
hack squats
reverse hack squats
dead lifts (usually with free weights, not a fan of using a straight bar)
split squat
lateral walks with resistance band
BOSU: squats and deadlights and split squats
plyometics: box jumps: double and single leg...

my cardio usually consists of medium paced long duration on the stair master rather than treadmill or cycle
I had to look some of those up. So you stand on a ball and squat one legged?
I'd recommend he masters the basic barbell lifts before trying anything else.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I had to look some of those up. So you stand on a ball and squat one legged?
I'd recommend he masters the basic barbell lifts before trying anything else.
flat side up on the BOSU, squats and dead lifts...

flat side up or down with the BOSU for split spuats, back or front leg on the BOSU..

agreed regarding getting the basic form correct first, which is why I wrote that first paragraph...

one thing about barbell squats, most tend to put the barbell behind their neck, peersonally not a fan of that as it tends to put you automatically into a little lumbar extension...if and when I do barbell squats (rarely), I hold the bar infront of my across my chest...
      09-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
Nugget
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
flat side up on the BOSU, squats and dead lifts...

flat side up or down with the BOSU for split spuats, back or front leg on the BOSU..

agreed regarding getting the basic form correct first, which is why I wrote that first paragraph...

one thing about barbell squats, most tend to put the barbell behind their neck, peersonally not a fan of that as it tends to put you automatically into a little lumbar extension...if and when I do barbell squats (rarely), I hold the bar infront of my across my chest...
I'd never seen a Bosu before. Looks like something my brother had for ankle rehab. What is it's purpose?
Agreed that bar placement is important, most people put it too high, but front squat is a different exercise with different mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #14
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I'd never seen a Bosu before. Looks like something my brother had for ankle rehab. What is it's purpose?
Agreed that bar placement is important, most people put it too high, but front squat is a different exercise with different mechanic.
Any unstable surface will provide balance/stability/proprioceptive training. Performing a dynamic movement on it will also increase the activity for co contraction of stabilizing muscles/muscle groups. The main goal is to fire phasic not tonic muscle groups. At least that's what I do for myself and my patients.

Do tell about the different mechanic. As what happens at the back, hips, and knees is the same no matter where the bar/weight is. Not to mention functionally do you tend to have weight in front of you or behind you resting on your neck.
a bigger fan of performing and prescribing functional movements.....
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
Nugget
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Any unstable surface will provide balance/stability/proprioceptive training. Performing a dynamic movement on it will also increase the activity for co contraction of stabilizing muscles/muscle groups. The main goal is to fire phasic not tonic muscle groups. At least that's what I do for myself and my patients.

Do tell about the different mechanic. As what happens at the back, hips, and knees is the same no matter where the bar/weight is. Not to mention functionally do you tend to have weight in front of you or behind you resting on your neck.
a bigger fan of performing and prescribing functional movements.....
I'm gonna bow out now as I think you know more than me about this topic.
My only point was for him to keep it simple, do the basic barbell lifts and do them properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #16
dave0352usmc
U.S. Marine
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 325i

I like doing a few warm up sets of low weight followed by 5 sets of 5 with increasing heavy weight then finished off with a cool down set. Works for me!

06' Alpine White 325i | 18x8.5 Malloy 5's | H&R Sports | BMS 12,18MM | M3 Front Bumper
Appreciate 0