BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Wagner vs Forge IC

Hi folks, I'm based in the UK and looking for an upgrade IC for my N54 135. I want one that requires no cutting and is available in the UK, which leaves me with a choice of just two.

This Wagner offering with cast end tanks and a stepped core:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732521

And this Forge offering with sheet end tanks and no step:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383388

Excuse the random links, but it's just to show which ones I'm talking about.

Now, I can get the Wagner slightly cheaper than the Forge and it has stock couplers, but Forge aren't far from me and have offered a decent price for the unit to be fitted at their premises. Also, it's possible that their N55/1M IC might fit, which does use the stock couplers also.

Funny enough, Forge didn't think there was much/anything to be gained from getting rid of the stock couplers, even though the unit I was enquiring about used hoses. They didn't seem to think it was much of a restriction at all.

Now, which IC do you folks think is the best? On paper it'd seem to be the Wagner, with cast end tanks and a stepped portion, but is there anything else that I should take into consideration or any reason why the Forge might actually be the better unit?

Thanks in advance!

TheRuss
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

I've been running Wagner's bar & plate FMIC for a few years with no issues. I have seen 22psi of boost on the stock connections without any problems. The IATs are definitely better than the OEM intercooler when driving. However the temps can rise to around 115 degrees if sitting in stop-and-go traffic (most likely do to its proximity to the radiator). It takes approximately a 1/4 mile at speed for it to drop down to normal temps. I know many people say that they were able to install the Wagner without cutting. This was not the case for me. I could not get the OEM hoses to line up with the Wagner when it was fit behind the lower plastic cross-brace. In addition, the cross brace covered up part of the frontal surface area. I cut the bottom brace off and everything fit together perfectly. In addition, the Wagner is a couple inches taller than the OEM unit and sits flush with the plastic engine under tray. This is good as it ensures that all the in coming air is pushed through the core. I give the Wagner a thumbs-up, but as mentioned it may require some cutting.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Pig Farmer. Anybody else got any insight? Are cast end tanks always better than sheet metal, or not?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Cobb? Better than both?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Gotta be honest, I didn't realise that Cobb did one. However, I'm guessing it's not available in the UK, so I'd have to ship it over at great expense?

Also, I don't see how it's better. Looks like the Wagner but with silicone hoses in place of the stock couplers...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
Gotta be honest, I didn't realise that Cobb did one. However, I'm guessing it's not available in the UK, so I'd have to ship it over at great expense?

Also, I don't see how it's better. Looks like the Wagner but with silicone hoses in place of the stock couplers...
Thats why the question marks, but I trust Cobb over Wagner to do a good job engineering their parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

TBH, the Cobb and Wagner look almost identical in terms of construction. The Forge looks entirely different though.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yikes! Thanks for that.

So, you'd say the Forge would be my best bet? In all honesty, it kinda makes sense, because they have a good reputation for intercoolers and are just up the road from me (about 50 miles). Their price also includes fitting, which is nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
Yikes! Thanks for that.

So, you'd say the Forge would be my best bet? In all honesty, it kinda makes sense, because they have a good reputation for intercoolers and are just up the road from me (about 50 miles). Their price also includes fitting, which is nice.

I've got the Forge one fitted in my N55, and am more than happy with it
I drove down to Forge from London to have it fitted as well, so, if Forge are that close to you, then I'd be inclined to go the Forge route.
      04-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
I've got the Forge one fitted in my N55, and am more than happy with it
I drove down to Forge from London to have it fitted as well, so, if Forge are that close to you, then I'd be inclined to go the Forge route.
Thanks GeeRam, that's kinda what I was thinking, though I'm still in two minds.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
I wouldnt base your intercooler selection purely on a wagner having a freak failure, which they honored and replaced. Many people have their intercoolers and have complete success with them.

I have had an ER and a ETS intercooler and both have been great and very easy to install. The ER intercooler was much larger than the ETS and required a bit of trimming where the ETS required a bit of trimming. I noticed no performance difference between the two.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
I wouldnt base your intercooler selection purely on a wagner having a freak failure, which they honored and replaced. Many people have their intercoolers and have complete success with them.

I have had an ER and a ETS intercooler and both have been great and very easy to install. The ER intercooler was much larger than the ETS and required a bit of trimming where the ETS required a bit of trimming. I noticed no performance difference between the two.
+1 I actually have the Wagner FMIC and I can say that Wagner is very consumer oriented after having talked directly to them. They also back up their products with a 5 year warranty. They very cleanly dealt with the issue and quickly resolved it. Fitment was great on my FMIC. Love mine!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I think it depends on how much of a factor cost is for you. My gut feel, without any data, is that the Forge would be marginally better. But if it is in fact any better, it's certainly not on the same ratio as its additional cost (I expect that the value per dollar ratio would have to weight heavily in favor of the Wagner).

I agree that Wagner appears to have handled their warranty very well and I for one wouldn't knock them a bit for the one failure described in another post here.

That said I have a Forge on order with HPA because I prefer the connection type and mating up with the stock parts (I'm talking the 1M / N55 engine style only). I know that silicone couplers and t-bolt clamps are used all over the place and are fine, but I just have a preference for the way the Forge installs. It kind of feels to me like if the BMW engineers were able to make a better intercooler and not have to be concerned with cost, it is what they would have done. I could be way off on that but it was why i went w/ the Forge.

If I had a 135i with an N54 I don't think Forge would have been in the running, I would have been deciding between Wagner, ETS and VSRF.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I wasn't aware that forge could be installed without cutting? I know ets and ams can be done without cutting though.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I think it depends on how much of a factor cost is for you. My gut feel, without any data, is that the Forge would be marginally better. But if it is in fact any better, it's certainly not on the same ratio as its additional cost (I expect that the value per dollar ratio would have to weight heavily in favor of the Wagner).

I agree that Wagner appears to have handled their warranty very well and I for one wouldn't knock them a bit for the one failure described in another post here.

That said I have a Forge on order with HPA because I prefer the connection type and mating up with the stock parts (I'm talking the 1M / N55 engine style only). I know that silicone couplers and t-bolt clamps are used all over the place and are fine, but I just have a preference for the way the Forge installs. It kind of feels to me like if the BMW engineers were able to make a better intercooler and not have to be concerned with cost, it is what they would have done. I could be way off on that but it was why i went w/ the Forge.

If I had a 135i with an N54 I don't think Forge would have been in the running, I would have been deciding between Wagner, ETS and VSRF.
The wagner also bolts up to stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #16
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
The wagner also bolts up to stock.
Hmm, seems that there is one that does. I'd only ever seen a Wagner shown with couplers and hose clamps on it. Even on their site they seem to show lots of pics of that type but then mixed in is a single shot of one with the larger couplers and clips. Well dangit they need to get the word out a little better, maybe it would have been a contender after all.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #17
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron View Post
I wasn't aware that forge could be installed without cutting?
The newer style N55/1M version certainley can, as that's what's fitted in mine.
      04-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #18
Schmoops135i
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i XDrive - Sport line

How does the Cobb unit stock up? I realize it might be pricey to consider if its unavailable directly from Cobb but surely there is a european website selling them?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #19
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Not seen the Cobb over here, only the Forge and the Wagner.

There's less than £100.00 (GBP) between the Forge and Wagner, and the Forge price includes fitting at Forge's HQ. The Wagner price is posted to my door for me to fit. As such, the price is kinda equal.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #20
Vtec Abuser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

I have also opted for the Forge FMIC on my N55 and recently had the car on the rollers for a health check and to see if there was any gains at all over the oem cooler even though the software hasn't been touched (so just ECU adaptation).
The RR was a Dyno Dynamics set up (which gives similar results to the Mustang Dynos in the US) and I have already had the car dynod there both when stock and with just the DMS software flash tune.
Results showed an increase of 13-14bhp and 9lb/ft at the flywheel (10bhp ATW) which although isn't mind boggling, given the fact I wasn't really expecting any gains without the software being tweaked and that a uprated FMIC isn't generally seen as a power gaining mod as such, I was reasonably pleased tbh..

Not had any experience with the Wagner cooler, but people who have gone with their product seemed to be pleased from what I have seen. I don't think you'll be disappointed in either to be honest mate..
Appreciate 0