E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2009 iDrive - In car hard drive music control

09-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
ashuta
Rep
Drives: 2009 LCI e90

Exclamation 2009 iDrive - In car hard drive music control

Have 2 questions about the '09 iDrive in the (e90) that have been nagging me:

1. I use the built-in hard drive to store/play all my MP3's local to the car. When I use the "random track" option it doesn't stay enabled when I turn the car off & on. My question is is this functioning as designed? If so, it is stupidly designed. IMO

2. Same topic as above, but I noticed incrementing numbers showing up in front the song title of all the songs on the iDrive hard drive. Seems to be every time I enable the "random track" function it adds a new list of numbers assigned to songs without numbers. Weird eh? Again is this functioning as designed?

P.S. - The only reason I use the iDrive Hard Drive instead of the built-in ipod connector is because it doesn't seem to be compatible with an old ipod photo (30GB - 4th Gen). The ipod has been in every car of mine without issue. It is old & bulky but still works great in a car (except BMW's - ugh).

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

I don't use the built-in hd for music, I find to be to much of hasstle to keep it updated. I sometimes connect the IPOD however 90% of the time I simply use a USB stick.

I find the USB stick is the easiest way to keep my tracks up to date, make playlists and you can also maximize the audio quality.

I know I didn't answer your question, however just thought I would share my experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
gdspshing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

i have the same problem either!!

Lease Assumption/Takeover for AW E92 335i MSPORT

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396119
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Yes your idrive is working like everybody elses. Best solution is to use a usb stick for easy organization and you can even embed equalizer settings.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
rooster3.0
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Yup. The USB stick is the best option.
      09-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Thunder Dump
That tickles
Rep
Drives: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR

Yes, for whatever reason the 'Random' option defaults to off every time you start the car. Annoying, but that's the way it is.

I don't have the song renumbering issue though. My collection though is organized as follows: master folder, artist subfolder, album subfolders, songs with track numbers in the name.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
ashuta
Rep
Drives: 2009 LCI e90

Thanks everyone! Please BMW, read this forum. Simple changes could make a perfect car even better! Like keeping random enabled even if the car is turned on or off! Can I get an amen? Even Chrysler gets that right...

By the way, I read a couple other posts about issues with ipods. I tried everything they said to do, but nothing has worked. Oh well. Off to buy a large GB usb stick! Going to wipe the iDrive HD & reload the music to see if my mp3's were already "numbered". I basically copied a few of my favorite itunes playlists (+4GB each) to DVD-r's & imported them that way. No folders or anything. Will try organize with folders this time.
Appreciate 0