E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Confused about the various iDrive types...

09-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Confused about the various iDrive types...

Hi guys,

I've been searching around various sites and doing a bit of research about the iDrive, I'm confused about the currently available iDrive versions as I am looking for an E92 at the moment and have seen various cars with differring iDrive types.

According to Wikipedia cars manufactured post September 2008 have the new "CIC" iDrive, my understanding was that the CIC iDrive is the one that has a knob that is surrounded by 7 buttons.

But I have seen both 08 and 09 cars that did not have the surrounding buttons, did these cars have the CIC iDrive or was it an older version? Are the extra buttons a option? Are there two versions of the CIC iDrive?

It seems to me there are two currently available iDrive types, the Business versions is the M-ASK type and the Professional is the CIC type. But I am sure I have seen cars that I was told had Navigation Professional but didnt have the extra buttons (which I assume are standard on the CIC type).

Can anyone shed some light on this stuff for me please?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Jinxy
Private
England
Rep
Drives: X3M

It depends on build date. If the car is a pre-LCI (LCI=Facelift, easiest way to tell is the rear light clusters being red while the pre-LCI cars have a white portion in the boot lid) then it has the one with 2 buttons and no hard disk. If its a LCI car it has the new style.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxy View Post
It depends on build date. If the car is a pre-LCI (LCI=Facelift, easiest way to tell is the rear light clusters being red while the pre-LCI cars have a white portion in the boot lid) then it has the one with 2 buttons and no hard disk. If its a LCI car it has the new style.
But are the two iDrive versions the same except for the extra buttons? I saw a thread here where someone was trying to fit the one with many buttons into a car that originally only had two buttons. I think it was Trixman...hang on...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295722

Here it is...I assume in the scenario it's just the extra buttons being fitted and the HDD does not come into it at all (I assume the Pre-LCI iDrive didnt have the HDD).
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxy View Post
Actually, the absolute easiest way of tell an LCI for earlier model years is the bonnet looks like Lt. Worf's forehead (from STNG).
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post

It seems to me there are two currently available iDrive types, the Business versions is the M-ASK type and the Professional is the CIC type. But I am sure I have seen cars that I was told had Navigation Professional but didnt have the extra buttons (which I assume are standard on the CIC type).

Can anyone shed some light on this stuff for me please?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Not sure if it helps you, but I have Nav professional and it does have seven buttons.
The buttons are-CD,Radio,Menu,Tel,Nav,back and option.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Not sure if it helps you, but I have Nav professional and it does have seven buttons.
The buttons are-CD,Radio,Menu,Tel,Nav,back and option.
I am confused as well now! I thought only the latest HDD based sat nav got the new controller?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
That's the kiddie (pic) Paul, just getting the hang of it

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
That's the kiddie (pic) Paul, just getting the hang of it
You had a new car Ian?

EDIT: Just checked out your garage......very nice!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:39 AM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Toxic,

The CIC (new system) is completely different. Different screen, controller, HDD based computer system, single DVD slot etc etc.

BUT this is sold as the PRO nav system, you can still order new cars with BUSINESS nav which gets you the older CCC based system AFAIK, or in the brochure they show the old i drive home screen for the Business nav.

So a dealer who says a new car with old controller is Pro nav is lying i reckon.

So I think this explains new cars with both types of i drive knob.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 05:06 AM   #10
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
I assume it's all down to build date rather than date registered. Cars built after September 08 have the 7 button hard drive based system.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #11
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

CIC is the new Nav system, it is hard drived based with high resolution graphics and much better media support.
This will only come with the new idrive controller and was from 9/2008 build.

The older system has only 2 buttons on the controller has much more basic graphics and no hard drive, but it was still called professional.

The business unit only had 2D maps on the old system and a 6.5" screen compared with the 8.8" screen on the prof. nav, and before the 3/2007 build it was arrows only and no map at all.

I'n not sure what you get with the latest business system, never seen one.

If the car is an 09 with only 2 buttons it may be the new business nav I suppose, but more than likely just old stock, cars can sit for 12, 24, 36 months before being registered so you can easily get an 09 plate car with a 2006 build.

There were a few 04 plate S3s kicking around, built in 2001 a while back, they were found in storage.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #12
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I'n not sure what you get with the latest business system, never seen one.

In the E90 brochure, under 'business nav' it shows the screen shot from the 1st gen Pro Nav, i.e. the old 2 button nav.

But the price list does say both pro and business come with 8 favourite buttons and I drive controller with shortcut buttons.....

So, it looks like the newer reg cars with 2 button nav might be old stock....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

So how is it that Trixman was added the CIC control knob to his pre-LCI car?

Or does the knob work with the older system regardless of the version (though he did say that if you had force feedback/haptic knobs it wouldnt work).

Either way, I know I want the new CIC system in any E92 that I intend to buy that is for sure!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #14
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

You can use the new controller as long as you have a fairly up to date firmware on your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #15
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
You can use the new controller as long as you have a fairly up to date firmware on your car.
The type of knob you previously had also seems to factor in, if you had haptic feedback I think it's a no no, if you didnt have haptic feedback it's good to go.

Either way, now that I know it's only the new CIC, 7-Button ones that come with a HDD I know that's what I want from the outset!!

Thanks for all your help and information guys, much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #16
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
The new i drive looks ncie.
      09-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #17
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
The new i drive looks ncie.
It is mate, especially when you get into the city's when all the buildings migrate into 3D - here is a recent shopping trip to the Bull Ring in Birmingham - even shows the chromed discs that adorn the building....

I was dead impressed when I first saw it, took some pics to post, but then decided it was bit sad so didn't!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #18
robrob
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xd M Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
It is mate, especially when you get into the city's when all the buildings migrate into 3D - here is a recent shopping trip to the Bull Ring in Birmingham - even shows the chromed discs that adorn the building....

I was dead impressed when I first saw it, took some pics to post, but then decided it was bit sad so didn't!!!
Aha! Got a fully loaded 09 320i M loaner at the moment while my 335d is in for investigation (low pressure turbo gone I think!).

Anyway, most impressed with the new Nav. Does it auto switch to that 3D view when in cities? Got it set to 3D for cities, but not seen it yet.

BTW - massive improvement over the old Nav (and secretly surprised at the oomph in the 320i)!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #19
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Have you seen the new graphics in the X1 and 5 series GT??

It overlays photo realistic landscapes, so looks like google earth satellite maps. Very cool.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #20
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Here you go.....

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #21
Penyfan1960
Trooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D M-Sport Le Mans Blue

Cor! My 320D 59 reg Prof Sat Nav is as below. ( Just completed 1000 miles)
It's all grey/blue, no green fields or blue skys, certainly no red roads and no, I hav'nt got the screen on the the 'night setting'.
In fact, the colours are not so good as my old 320i 55 reg Prof Sat Nav.

My edition of sat nav is:-
ECE
BMW
Road Map Europe PREMIUM 2008-2.

If this is the PREMIUM, what is the normal like? I shudder to think.
No DVD was supplied with car, but I understand this is normal now.
Have been in touch with the Dealer asking why no 2009 edition, by 'phone and email. But no responce.

The grey/blue display is this typical? Or is mine duff?
If you have the same edition of sat nav I would much appreciate your comments!

Also, I certainly do not get any 3D buildings in towns like what can be seen in the BMW Brochure page 41.

Cheers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #22
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Hey Pennyfan

I also have the latest prof nav (HDD baseed) - I do get the 3D buildings though, but have only seen 'em once when I travelled into B'ham and it showed the Bullring etc in 3D (see post #17 above)

Mine also has 2008-2 maps on it - I was quite disappointed that the better spec nav came supplied with older maps loaded

I feel that the nav could be a LOT better and it cries out for 7 digit postcode search. Gets you almost there, but not quite
Appreciate 0