BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #23
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoseroller74 View Post
Couldn't be more right The track guys know how good are stock brakes are and with those simple upgrades ( affordable ) you can spend a whole day without any issues. Not to take away from a BBKs...they look awesome and certainly I wish mine looked more esthetically pleasing...none the less ...stock BMW brakes on the M3 are more than adequate...most people who bitch about are brakes, have never had their car to the track and never intend to....so lots of these points and discussion fall on deaf ears and are futile !!!

Go easy on the Canadian thing ehh...no need to make it personal However, American or Canadian, when you're an idiot does it matter ..lol

Cheers
Exactly right. The stock brakes are more than adequate despite a few individuals that hate all things M3, yet somehow spend most of their hours on the forum.

Regarding them building up heat, if I get to the point that I'm having to change pads during a session, I'll definitely look into a BBK, but right now changing pads a little more often is a price I'm willing to pay. If I went every other weekend or something like that, sure, but for half a dozen track days a year, they work.

As for the Canadian thing, I just like to give you Cannucks a hard time. You are just too polite! I know one of these days the whole country is going to snap, and that facade of unflappable niceness will fall away, and the whole world will have hell to pay!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #24
Hoseroller74
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E92 DCT / ZCP

lmfao

cheers mate !

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
Exactly right. The stock brakes are more than adequate despite a few individuals that hate all things M3, yet somehow spend most of their hours on the forum.

Regarding them building up heat, if I get to the point that I'm having to change pads during a session, I'll definitely look into a BBK, but right now changing pads a little more often is a price I'm willing to pay. If I went every other weekend or something like that, sure, but for half a dozen track days a year, they work.

As for the Canadian thing, I just like to give you Cannucks a hard time. You are just too polite! I know one of these days the whole country is going to snap, and that facade of unflappable niceness will fall away, and the whole world will have hell to pay!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #25
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoseroller74 View Post
Couldn't be more right The track guys know how good are stock brakes are and with those simple upgrades ( affordable ) you can spend a whole day without any issues. Not to take away from a BBKs...they look awesome and certainly I wish mine looked more esthetically pleasing...none the less ...stock BMW brakes on the M3 are more than adequate...most people who bitch about are brakes, have never had their car to the track and never intend to....so lots of these points and discussion fall on deaf ears and are futile !!!

Go easy on the Canadian thing ehh...no need to make it personal However, American or Canadian, when you're an idiot does it matter ..lol

Cheers

Stock brakes have been fine for me with upgraded pads, fluid and lines after 20 track days. Maybe I'm just not doing it right.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #26
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq View Post
Stock brakes have been fine for me with upgraded pads, fluid and lines after 20 track days. Maybe I'm just not doing it right.
Yeah drive faster.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #27
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

^This

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #28
krx927
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

+2
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #29
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
Yes, the brakes are fine for the stock/FBO powertrain on the street, and the mods I mentioned improve longevity on the track. The brakes are fine for the car, but it's extremely popular to bitch and moan about how the E9X M3 has shitty brakes. These are usually the same people that complain about torque.
First, I've never complained about the torque of the E9X M3.

The OE brakes are adequate and will work. Fact.

The problem is you'll run through brake pads pretty quickly, rotors will last if they don't heat crack to the point where they may fail, and let's not mention that you'll need to rebuild the calipers more frequently since you'll certainly smoke the dust boots sooner or later.

You could manage the brakes and drive slower for a couple of laps. Or you can screw with brake ducts to make the OEM brakes work.

In many cases, you won't overwhelm the stock brakes on a stock car. But add in some improved engine cooling and sticky tires and I don't see how the OE brakes will last.

You don't need a BBK. But...over long term usage a BBK will have significantly lower consumable costs. For example, I ran through a set of front PF01 pads in 3 days. The rears...with DSC off...had maybe another 1-2 days in them. The fluid was boiled as well. Let's not forget my dust boot on my L/F caliper was vaporized. At the end of the 3rd day...I didn't even finish the last session since I limped the car back into the pits because I literally ran out of pad. None left. Pulled in...dust boot caught fire. Partly a function of not doing a full cool down but still.

Installed a Stoptech 4 wheel BBK. Front brake pads lasted 9 days...a very similar Stoptech SR34 compound to the PF01s, no fluid boiling, no dust boots on fire, and no drama. These 9 days were on some pretty tough tracks to include Circuit of the Americas (140mph to 35-40mph brake zone) and 3 days at Road America (There's 3 130+ MPH straights). Most of all the rear axle wasn't wiggling in hard braking zones.

Do you need a BBK? Of course not. Does it make your M3 a LOT more reliable on track? Yes it does.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0