E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Replaced suspension, new rubbing noise

08-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
reppin513
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Unhappy Replaced suspension, new rubbing noise

All, I have a 2006 e90 325xi and recently replaced the suspension except for coils and rear sway bar links. I did rear shocks and mounts three weeks ago, front bushings two weeks ago, and last night I finished replacing front struts, mounts, and sway bar links. I gave it a quick spin around the block last night and noticed a rubbing around the last few degrees of wheel turn (at far left and far right turns, like in a cul-de-sac). Being as it was almost 1am, I figured I would ask the tire store about it when I get an alignment this weekend. However, on my way to work this morning I noticed it a little more, and at highway speeds I noticed it makes a rubbing feeling and sound when I accelerate. I replaced the front struts with bilstein HD B6 struts, keeping the factory ride height, replaced the mounts with factory mounts, and kept the factory springs. The sway bar links are moog and were 2" shorter than stock, but the sway bar pivoted to accommodate them ok, and everything it tight. One note - the links are closer to the half shafts (drive shafts) than stock, but looking underneath with the wheel turned it did not seem to make contact with anything. I really doubt the strut is compressing enough under normal driving to change the angle of the link, but as this bmw has proved, I wouldn't look past it. Acceleration causing a rubbing vibration has me extremely worried. One last note, the rubbing, whether in a cul-de-sac, or on road, is consistently a rotational rubbing. That is, I can feel the rotation of the wheel/halfshaft, or some part connected to it rubbing something stationary through the steering wheel. One thought I had is the bracket for the brake line and brake sensor wire tat attaches to the lower strut mount may be hitting the closer sway bar link, but that doesn't explain the rotational aspect. Very afraid to get bent over at the dealer.. Wanting to keep this car and am saving for the new m3 for a lease r purchase before christmas. Please, any seasoned advice or experience helps a lot! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
11SEC
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

You need an alignment. When you replace the items you mentioned, everything goes out of spec. An alignment will fix your issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
reppin513
Rep

11sec, thank you very much for the reply. I am aware of this, and will be going straight to get one after work. They may just schedule me for first thing tomorrow.. I will update if issue is not fixed. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 12:37 AM   #4
reppin513
Rep

The alignment cured it except my wheels are hitting the end links when turned all the way one direction or the other. I guess I'm going to have to replace my new links..
Appreciate 0