THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Manual v automatic

10-24-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
grant5321
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i mineral white

Manual v automatic

I know my next car is going to be an m235i, but I don't know if I should get a manual or automatic. Currently I have a mercedes e350 coupe which is a beautiful car, but unfortunaly lacks the power that I want. I also would like to know if the dinan tunes or any of the others would void my warranty. On a side note, is it worth it to get the LSD? I'm not going to go on tracks, but I do like to drive fast.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

I think you may be shopping the wrong BMW's.. Coming from an e350, you might like the slightly softer and bigger 435i better

And no you definitely do not need the LSD for the street no matter how fast you like to drive
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

No, he's closer to the right size than you may first realize. The E Class Coupe was based on the old C Class (W204) platform, not the E Sedan W212 platform, so the F22 is not far off. I moved from a C Class Sedan to the 228i and it's fairly close. The 4 Series felt too big and boggy!

The stick is great and the car is a blast...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
crqflier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '95 M3 (gone)

Most folks who ask manual vs auto should get the auto. It's not a manual vs DCT type of choice. Ditto on LSD vs no LSD. 99% chance you'd never notice the difference driving on the street in Florida. Be interesting to get your impressions after a month of ownership coming from a cushy Merc.
      10-24-2014, 11:29 PM   #5
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
there is alot of rear wheel slip on hard acceleration, lsd will/should eliminate that. ppl always say you dont need lsd if you dont track your car....thats not true

The question should be, its the lsd worth the price tag for a dealer install, I'll say not worth it...If it was offer as an option then i would get it
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 03:16 AM   #6
one1er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i (Yet to come)

I've struggled a lot with manual vs auto, and there's been much debate here about it:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=983337

I ended up choosing manual...still waiting for the car, but you should decide on you personal preference and needs...there's no right or wrong here. Keep in mind that you won't feel less acceleration on the manual, as the figures support the auto over its quick shifts, not better acceleration power, not noticeable anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 06:51 AM   #7
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

If you are going to tune and mod the car then get the LSD.
      10-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #8
grant5321
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
I think you may be shopping the wrong BMW's.. Coming from an e350, you might like the slightly softer and bigger 435i better

And no you definitely do not need the LSD for the street no matter how fast you like to drive
I'm fine driving manual and I know it's a lot smaller than my car as well, but I will be moving to North Carolina soon where the roads are perfect for this car. I just wanted to know if the Manual would be worth the drop if the launch control feature. I know I could drop the clutch but I'll get a lot of slip without the lsd. To me it seems like a give and take situation.

Last edited by grant5321; 10-25-2014 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

With all due respect to your desire for whatever options anyone may wish, my question why need launch control for any real reason if not on a drag strip? The street? What a waste of a fine car's drivetrain. The manual vs. AT debate is about as academic as arguing over brunettes or blondes. Both are great if they have the right chassis.

And you would not need launch for great Carolina roads...you need grip with your money put into maybe..maybe a suspension upgrade and tires? depending on what you have.

Save your money till you get there, live the roads on sunny weekends and then decide how much and where your best bet should be placed. Just a thot.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #10
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Easy way to decide, do as I did and drive both back to back. Makes the choice for you that way.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Welcome to North Carolina !! What part you moving to? Me , I chose manual but my driving is a 16 mile commute, two lane roads with little or no traffic. If I had to commute to downtown Charlotte everyday I'd have gotten that excellent ZF auto.
      10-25-2014, 02:25 PM   #12
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

Before ordering my 2015 228i M-sport I drove two BMW loaner cars, 320i 6MT and 328i 8-sp auto. I had 328i auto for a week while and 320i for 2 days.
There was no comparison for me, the 6MT was much more fun to drive even with the weaker engine.
My previous two cars had auto transmissions and really didn't know what to do with my left leg while driving
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #13
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
brunettes or blondes. Both are great if they have the right chassis.
It's even better if they have great launch control......Just say'n
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #14
raisingAnarchy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ZMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant5321 View Post
I know my next car is going to be an m235i, but I don't know if I should get a manual or automatic. Currently I have a mercedes e350 coupe which is a beautiful car, but unfortunaly lacks the power that I want. I also would like to know if the dinan tunes or any of the others would void my warranty. On a side note, is it worth it to get the LSD? I'm not going to go on tracks, but I do like to drive fast.
If you're really torn between automatic and manual, then I think you should consider manual. If you bought manual, then it'd help the take-rate of manual BMWs in the US. You've got to vote with your wallet, and if BMW is seeing more people buying a manual in the US, then they'll make manuals more available.

My understanding is Dinan tunes are designed with BMW warranties in mind. They're also pricier than the alternatives.

Maybe there is a benefit to having an LSD in inclement weather? If not, then it's probably just a waste of money to get one if you're not going to the track.
      10-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #15
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I find the 6-spd can be very smooth, maybe even smoother when coming to a complete stop or going from forward to reverse then my previous Mercedes automatic
And the BMW turbo six is effortless at crawling along in heavy traffic.
But Mercedes E350 coupe is a great car, more E class sedan then C-class.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 03:45 PM   #16
Amessforone
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant5321
I have been fortunate enough to live with both transmissions. I find that you really can't go wrong with either transmission choice. The 8 speed auto is fantastic and a lot of fun to drive. The manual is great as well. What I think it boils down to, is what transmission would you rather live with on a daily basis. In regards to an LSD, it is a night and day difference with and w/o it. Personally, I would wait for the aftermarket to bring more LSD choices.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #17
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Imo if you are going to mod the car from the get go just get an M4 lol...

E350 while heavier isn't a substantial power difference.

As for auto vs manual it has been beat to death. Both are great options on this car it all depends when you feel you are depriving your left foot of entertainment...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:08 PM   #18
Solarphil
Private
Rep
Drives: Nickole - MG & CR M235i

I drove the auto at the dealer for a demo, and it's really nicely done, and for me that's high praise. However, the auto really seems to shine at either generating numbers, or for those people who would rather tune out during their commute while they drink their coffee or talk on their phone (or both).

Me, when I go somewhere I want to DRIVE, not commute. Yeah, the 6sp might be a tick slower 0-60, but it's a heck of a lot more engaging and fun to drive. I'm firmly in the "save the manuals" camp with just about everything I've ever owned having three pedals, but this car has the best combination of clutch, pedals and linkages that I've ever had the pleasure to experience. Plus, when you hit that downshift just right with a sweet blip of the throttle, it's a nice reward for a job well done that'll put a smile on your face far better than launch control will ever do.

As for the LSD, yeah it's stupid expensive and probably not justified for most folks and for anything that won't get you arrested on public roads. However, I'm saving my shekels so I can put one in next year. My wife will never understand why, but 'cause limited slip differential.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #19
dan84
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L

I've only driven an M235i automatic, but I must say it was fun as hell to drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarphil View Post
However, the auto really seems to shine at either generating numbers, or for those people who would rather tune out during their commute while they drink their coffee or talk on their phone (or both).

Me, when I go somewhere I want to DRIVE, not commute. Yeah, the 6sp might be a tick slower 0-60, but it's a heck of a lot more engaging and fun to drive. I'm firmly in the "save the manuals" camp with just about everything I've ever owned having three pedals, but this car has the best combination of clutch, pedals and linkages that I've ever had the pleasure to experience. Plus, when you hit that downshift just right with a sweet blip of the throttle, it's a nice reward for a job well done that'll put a smile on your face far better than launch control will ever do.
I'm not really directing this at you, Solarphil, it's more a general vent... but why must people perpetuate this "manual transmission = driving, automatic transmission != driving" attitude? I just don't understand it. Is it a reactionary way of defending one's manhood? My 5'2 100lb soaking wet girlfriend mindlessly drives her 5MT Jetta 1.8T Sport while jamming out to whatever club music she fancies. She doesn't feel the urge to chest bump me when she gets out of the car, as if to celebrate being able to row her own gears.

I've driven manuals as long as I've had a drivers license. My first car was a 91 Talon TSi AWD 5MT and every car since then, excluding my Tundra pickup, has been a manual. Despite that fact [that I've only ever owned MT cars] I'm probably getting a M235i with the automatic. Why? Because IMO, it's just as fun to drive, it's no more expensive than an MT, and it's faster [see Sports Car]. A car like this can be as engaging as you want it to be. Not having a third pedal doesn't take away your ability to DRIVE it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 11:54 PM   #20
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan84 View Post
I've only driven an M235i automatic, but I must say it was fun as hell to drive!

I'm not really directing this at you, Solarphil, it's more a general vent... but why must people perpetuate this "manual transmission = driving, automatic transmission != driving" attitude? I just don't understand it. Is it a reactionary way of defending one's manhood? My 5'2 100lb soaking wet girlfriend mindlessly drives her 5MT Jetta 1.8T Sport while jamming out to whatever club music she fancies. She doesn't feel the urge to chest bump me when she gets out of the car, as if to celebrate being able to row her own gears.

I've driven manuals as long as I've had a drivers license. My first car was a 91 Talon TSi AWD 5MT and every car since then, excluding my Tundra pickup, has been a manual. Despite that fact [that I've only ever owned MT cars] I'm probably getting a M235i with the automatic. Why? Because IMO, it's just as fun to drive, it's no more expensive than an MT, and it's faster [see Sports Car]. A car like this can be as engaging as you want it to be. Not having a third pedal doesn't take away your ability to DRIVE it.
I think the problem comes from the word itself MAN u al...there is no MAN in automatic???? Just kidding!!!!

Seriously though, I think the people just take any difference of opinion as reactionary or hate. The fact is the the cars are coming softer, more detached, more automated, more cushy, less about driving than riding in them. That's fine for most everything but when the "Ultimate Driving Machine" starts going soft, some people gripe that is what a forum is for. Public discourse is key to our way of life so you had your rant and we all listened and noted it... Now maybe likewise, you can listen to the other side that laments that the last few rear drive sports coupes and sedan are going fully automated.

Peace and Love to all the BMW Bretheren
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 12:03 AM   #21
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan84 View Post
I'm not really directing this at you, Solarphil, it's more a general vent... but why must people perpetuate this "manual transmission = driving, automatic transmission != driving" attitude? I just don't understand it. Is it a reactionary way of defending one's manhood? .
I don't know why you have this view about drivers that prefer to MT have macho mentality.
In my case I was driving cars with auto for 10 years until I happened to get a loaner with MT.
It made me feel like a kid again and absolutely had nothing to do with one's manhood
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #22
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarphil View Post
I drove the auto at the dealer for a demo, and it's really nicely done, and for me that's high praise. However, the auto really seems to shine at either generating numbers, or for those people who would rather tune out during their commute while they drink their coffee or talk on their phone (or both).

As for the LSD, yeah it's stupid expensive and probably not justified for most folks and for anything that won't get you arrested on public roads. However, I'm saving my shekels so I can put one in next year. My wife will never understand why, but 'cause limited slip differential.
Me I needed an Auto so my Fiance could use it when i want to take the truck out of town camping, to the farm, etc.

IMO all the cars have so many assists these days that the analogue experience is fairly lost. Now there is only more and more performance.

I would like to get a lotus Elise with a manual one day or something similar. Purely Analogue.

Overall my opinion is DCT>Manual>Automatic but i own the ZF8 lol. Things are never simple.
Appreciate 0