F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > E46 Thermostate Change
ARMA SPEED

02-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
1forthemoney
Rep
Drives: 128

E46 Thermostate Change

So I took the GF's 03 325i to 2 different mechanics that I've used in the past to get get the coolant leak checked out. Both said the thermostat housing was cracked, one said it needed a new water pump and the other said it needed a thermostat reservoir instead of the water pump (I'm assuming that's the same thing as an expansion tank).

Quotes were 605+tax and 700+tax to do the repairs. That just seems like to much for me. I haven't had a car out of warranty in a while but it's just a thermostat right? Can't be that labor intensive.

Now it's been a wile since I've done any mechanical work on my cars. I've changed a radiator once on a VW 16v, always did my own brakes before I could pay someone to do them for me and used to change tires in my garage with an old tire changer I got for free. And I'm not an idiot.

So do you think this is something I can do on my own? Is this something I can do from the engine bay or will I have to get on my back underneath. I have some spare time on my hands now that the economy is shit and business is slow so I don't mind getting my hands dirty. germanautoparts has the parts for less than have of what I was told, is that normal?

All help appreciated guys. Any suggestions or comments are always taken constructively. This is a great little forum. Thanks, Daniel.
Appreciate 0