E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 06 BMW 330i Sedan Adaptive Headilght Failure

05-11-2012, 03:40 AM   #1
Domasac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i XDrive Coupe

06 BMW 330i Sedan Adaptive Headilght Failure

Thanking anyone who can help me in advance.

I have a BMW 330i Sedan 2006, with adaptive headlights / xenons. The car has 90k miles on it.

Today my headlight turned purple, so I decided to get new D1S bulbs (phillips) I opened up the housing to see what I needed, washed the car, drove to the auto parts store, picked up the bulbs, tested out the passenger side, no errors, swapped the right side, getting an AHL failure light on my dash.

Drove the car for 2 hrs, no problems, about 45 min later i noticed the drivers side headlight is completely condensated.

I checked the seal, one of the clips is broken off, but it doesn't seem to be affecting how snug it is latched, I am afraid I have trapped the condensation in, don't know if I should remove, and dry the headlight, if I should drive the car, etc. Anything I have tried has resulted in the AHL failure light not going away.

When I turn the car on the Headlights move left to right, and adjust and then the error pops up, maybe this is a good sign, I am unsure but I am starting to get nervous because I have read a new headlight installed is almost $2000k, I have read also that you may be able to buy the AHL motor for just that side, and if you get the right one it doesn't need programmed,

Can anyone please have mercy on me and help me diagnose the problem, how to fix it, where to look for well priced parts, etc. Can't sleep over here...

Thank you.

and swap them out, swapped the right side, no problem, swapped the left, put the covers back on,
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #2
Cisco661
Cisco661
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Monaco Blue 330I

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
have you tried posting in the cosmetic/lighting threads? good luck with issue bro, i too have an 06 with adaptive xenons.
      05-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Assuming you dont have a scan tool, gotta go old school

First off you gotta fix out why you have condensation in the headlight, park the car in direct sunlight if possible & let it dry out fairly good.

Secondly, find out what side is throwing the error. When you start the car they should cycle Up & Down, pay attention to which one does not.

Now if you feel comfortable, remove the headlights (Gotta pull bumper) and swap the AHL module and see if the corrects the issue. If it does you know you got a bad module which you can purchase separately from the completer headlight assemebly..If it doesn’t fix your issue then its time to verify the step motors are connected properly & HOPEFULLY the motors are still good.

Report back on your finding, Good Luck !
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

leak happened after you changed the bulbs?

take the cover off, let them dry out, seal correctly and be done with it.

the AHL might work once it dries out.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
JonDiesel@ColemanAutobody
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

did you check that nothing physically is touching inside the headlight where the bulb moves? even a wire maybe? the motor may work but it could be getting caught up on something. the whole bulb and assembly moves back and forth as a whole so..
Appreciate 0