2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes H&R Springs vs. DINAN Shockware... Which is more enjoyable/better?

03-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

H&R Springs vs. DINAN Shockware... Which is more enjoyable/better?

I plan on getting my GT either lowered or installed with the Shockware, or maybe both (if wife allows LOL)... many have said the handling is much improved with the H&R, but same things have been said for DINAN shockware. For $260 or $799, which is better? And how are they when combined... THanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
I'll let you know. I have H&Rs on my 550 already and am likely having Dinan Shockwave done next week. Should allow me to have the best of both worlds. Be advised tho I am not sure Dinan shockwave will work o the 550i GT as isn't the car heavier and I know some of the F10 550i Dinan products do not work or are not applicable for the 550i GT. Better check with Dinan 1st would be my advice.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

I just Had Dinan Shockware installed on stock Springs for my 550i Dinan Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAN_GT View Post
I plan on getting my GT either lowered or installed with the Shockware, or maybe both (if wife allows LOL)... many have said the handling is much improved with the H&R, but same things have been said for DINAN shockware. For $260 or $799, which is better? And how are they when combined... THanks!

I just had it done

I am the first to have it done in Crown BMW NC
Likely the first in the whole Carolinas region then -

I couldn't fully test the new sports mode as my 3 yo son is with me today and for a doc appointment.

I couldn't tell any difference in normal which is supposedly sport now.

While in Sport new mode I believe I caught myself a little surprised and smiling while playing a little in the parking lot where the car seemed too flat to be my 550i,

BUT sometimes you just wanna feel good about your money ! -

So,
Anybody can tell me whether he/she had it with stock suspension and what his/her experience is?

And one more thing,
I read that some were describing the Shickware 2 steps up above the Lowering springs which were ACS in his case and the latter had been rated by him at one step above stock?
SO my QUESTION IS?
Is it really possible that a mere EDC Software could deliver twice as much as Hardware Springs!! Especially that some guys has ARS which I don't have By The Way.

Thank you so much,
Will post more about my experience.

I do have Stage 2 Dinan too and happy with that flr 6 months now, Zero regrets.

Speak up guys -
Though I asked and Crown BMW NC Greensboro doesn't do refunds on Dinan's products like other dealerships I heard about 3 days money back!!

Ed Vega did the install
A very nice and professional guy who had actually known Dinan since early 80's from Up in NY.

Another update:
I believe it is not just tightening of the suspension but rather changing the whole character and behavior of this car! It just drives better though I am not sure exactly why!!

Any more input on this?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
My bad...had mine done about 3 weeks ago but forgot to report back in. Hmm what has changed?? Well now the car is much more settled at least IMHO it is compared to OEM. I drive it in Sports mode 90% of the time and otherwise in Sports + unless I doing long distance travel/cruising and Dinan Shockwave does improve it all. I also have H&R Sport Springs installed in the car and I note when taking curves at speed aggressively on my favorite driver's road it is a better car (has some S curves going up hill followed by a long handed sweeper at the top of the hill and one at the bottom with a 1/4 mile straight runoff - nice but too short for me). The car doesn't have as much mvmt and body roll and seems to handle its weight and respond to throttle inputs especially in the corners at speed than before. Daily road surfaces seem okay and not too jaring and I don't notice the bounciness especially in the front end I noted in the original car prior to H&R and also now Shockwave.

It just feels like a much more planted and better car and responds better to both road and driver input without feeling like things are floating around all over the place due to its size, weight, and with my Dinan Stage 3 the added torque and hp. Hope that helps some.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
My bad...had mine done about 3 weeks ago but forgot to report back in. Hmm what has changed?? Well now the car is much more settled at least IMHO it is compared to OEM. I drive it in Sports mode 90% of the time and otherwise in Sports + unless I doing long distance travel/cruising and Dinan Shockwave does improve it all. I also have H&R Sport Springs installed in the car and I note when taking curves at speed aggressively on my favorite driver's road it is a better car (has some S curves going up hill followed by a long handed sweeper at the top of the hill and one at the bottom with a 1/4 mile straight runoff - nice but too short for me). The car doesn't have as much mvmt and body roll and seems to handle its weight and respond to throttle inputs especially in the corners at speed than before. Daily road surfaces seem okay and not too jaring and I don't notice the bounciness especially in the front end I noted in the original car prior to H&R and also now Shockwave.

It just feels like a much more planted and better car and responds better to both road and driver input without feeling like things are floating around all over the place due to its size, weight, and with my Dinan Stage 3 the added torque and hp. Hope that helps some.
Would you say there's a big difference? Or if someone like me is on a tight budget if the $800 is worth it, or makes that much of a noticeable difference compared to just H&R Springs. Just got them yesterday and BMW Prestige is putting them on as well as painting the calipers and will be done by Friday hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 01:39 AM   #6
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAN_GT View Post
Would you say there's a big difference? Or if someone like me is on a tight budget if the $800 is worth it, or makes that much of a noticeable difference compared to just H&R Springs. Just got them yesterday and BMW Prestige is putting them on as well as painting the calipers and will be done by Friday hopefully.
I was impressed and satisfied with the H&R Springs as it also gives you a pretty aggressive drop and better stance as well as firming up the suspension. So it was the 1st thing I did. Since I had the opportunity and funds to do the Dinan Shockwave when I recently upgraded from Stage 1 to Stage 3 I went ahead and had it done. That said along with the H&R's I feel it does complete the car and ties it all in as far as handling goes...don't think I can improve it any more unless I do as some have and add an M5 front bar and/or change out to koilovers. But this is NOT a track car so no need for all of that. Its my "sleeper' daily driver that can go pretty good when I want to and just cruise also without much drama. I have other things for the track star in me.

That said...it is well worth the extra cash spent especially with 15% Dinan discount which was applied to both upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Is it really $800 for a reprogram of existing struts/shocks? WOW!! Dinan does it again.

Also, you guys have to realize that springs control the firmness of the ride more than the struts/shocks, which are really there to control the springs from bouncing up and down.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
BeemER13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i with M-Sport Pacakge

Yes I thought the Price was pretty steep too.. Also The overall price to instil their spring set was amazing high too.. I guess you pay for quality but wow. I Think I will H&R and care it a day for springs
Appreciate 0