F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Review: E92 M3 vs E82 135i
Extreme Powerhouse

02-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #67
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
He must be because I don't believe our 1's come with Brembo's. They are the only BMW's with 6 piston calipers up front though.
ya that is what i thought because i don't think any BMW comes with Brembo's, or is an option. I know the 1 series comes with the option of the BMW performance brake kit. Those are, like you said, a 6 piston caliper up front and i dk about the rear, probably a four.
      02-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #68
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
1. You can have M suspension and Aero kit in all series.
2. It's the only BMW with Brembos
3. M has a real LSD
1. I know but for the 135i there is no other alternative
2. True
3. Thats why I said its not an M but it still has something that non Ms don't have

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower03
ya that is what i thought because i don't think any BMW comes with Brembo's, or is an option. I know the 1 series comes with the option of the BMW performance brake kit. Those are, like you said, a 6 piston caliper up front and i dk about the rear, probably a four. Today 07:39 PM
The are made by Brembo for BMW, the 135i comes with this as standard . The Performance brakes on a 135i only adds sloted (or was it drilled) rotors.
      02-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #69
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by adood84 View Post
1- its the only non M BMW that comes with M suspension and Aerodaynamic kit.
2- only Non M BMW that comes with Brembo brakes
3- It comes with and E-diff which other non M BMW don't have.

It still not an M , but its not the same as non Ms
It's the same as non-Ms sans the brake system.

1) The suspension is labeled as "M-sport", and it's not the same as any suspension that goes into any of the M cars. They will offer the M-sport suspension following the facelift of the e92 when the M-Sport package becomes available in the US market. You can already order an e9x with the m-sport suspension (and package) in any other market.
2) Brembo does indeed manufacture the front brake system.
3) The E-Diff is included in all non-Ms from now on I believe. It still sucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #70
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
He must be because I don't believe our 1's come with Brembo's. They are the only BMW's with 6 piston calipers up front though.
They're Brembos, they just don't carry the label.

The wheels are made by BBS, but they don't carry the BBS logo.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #71
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

I did some searches and stand corrected. I will say one thing, the Brembo's are outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 06:18 PM   #72
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
... the tread will go on ...
All started with someone having a go at me!

Anyway, everyone choose their car for their own reason. If my wife allows me to have both, I would bought both cars! (She believe in accumulating houses instead and not cars) Both cars are amazing, but to me, I can have more fun with the 135 than the M3. In a way, I like the 135 because it is a lesser car than the M3, less capable and that's why you can feel it's abilities. Fun does not equal to absolute performance in this scenario.

I love the M car when I was driving it on the track, how it handles, etc... but on the road, it's just way too tame for me. My thoughts would always be "I wish I have time to take it to the track", and that's exactly what I was thinking when I drove it the first time. I was doing the dealer's regular circuit, and the abilities of the M3 was no way near using it up even in 2nd gear.

Can I live with a car that I know it I cannot utilized its abilities - no.
Can I live with a lesser car I can feel more fun to drive on a daily basis - absolutely!

Now, think about it, I had great fun in a mini S vert .
+1 and saving plenty of money : )

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #73
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

For the price you pay for a M3 that v8 engine should have at least 70+ lb more torque IMO and I would have purchased one over the 135i easy.

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #74
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post
For the price you pay for a M3 that v8 engine should have at least 70+ lb more torque IMO and I would have purchased one over the 135i easy.
Yeah torque is fun down low, but the top end of the M3 seems addicting. And besides, who buys an M car for torque? AMG does that already.
      02-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #75
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
... My thoughts would always be "I wish I have time to take it to the track".
Said that every day with my Boxster S, heh.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #76
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Also, this thread got me thinking, are there more 135i or M3 club racing cars?

I know of a fer 1ers, but haven't seen any Ms.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 03:16 AM   #77
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adood84 View Post
I do think that the 135i is car which was slotted between the non M cars and M cars, you got to remember a couple of things about the 135i:

1- its the only non M BMW that comes with M suspension and Aerodaynamic kit.
2- only Non M BMW that comes with Brembo brakes
3- It comes with and E-diff which other non M BMW don't have.

It still not an M , but its not the same as non Ms
It might have an M-tuned suspension, but due to being built on the 4 door hatch 1 series platform, it has extreme limitations. I owned a 135i and cornering isn't its forte. It's also harsh over road irregularities, but I'm sure the runflats have something to do with that. Also, the brakes may be made by Brembo, but they are nothing Brembo would want to put their name on. The are of far lesser quality and capability. The E-diff is OK..it's no substitute for a M-LSD. My MINI JCW beign built in 2 weeks will have the same E-diff. I'd rather have a LSD in the MINI, but you have to go aftermarket as the MINI LSDs offered for the Cooper S are crap, and truthfully aren't a true LSD.
      03-01-2009, 03:21 AM   #78
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
It might have an M-tuned suspension, but due to being built on the 4 door hatch 1 series platform, it has extreme limitations. I owned a 135i and cornering isn't its forte. It's also harsh over road irregularities, but I'm sure the runflats have something to do with that. Also, the brakes may be made by Brembo, but they are nothing Brembo would want to put their name on. The are of far lesser quality and capability. The E-diff is OK..it's no substitute for a M-LSD. My MINI JCW beign built in 2 weeks will have the same E-diff. I'd rather have a LSD in the MINI, but you have to go aftermarket as the MINI LSDs offered for the Cooper S are crap, and truthfully aren't a true LSD.
An 09 JCW. Congrats!!! Please post pictures and a review.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 05:13 AM   #79
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
They are made by Brembos.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 06:06 AM   #80
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Why can't everyone accept that someone bought one car over another for personal reasons?

Eg. I am getting a 135i now because I feel that I can have more fun with it on my day to day driving, and the M3 is too tame for me until I get to the Revs it needs to get to, which would have been fun but unsafe on public roads.

Someone else might like the tamed, relax driving DD the M3 offers where the 135 is fairly jittery, and love the pure performance from M3 on the weekend when they are out on track.

If I could only have 1 car, and I am able to get to the track once a month, I would have got the M3 instead. So everyone's preference and circumstances are different, and it is really rediculous some people have to force their opinions upon others.

Both are very different cars, and as a pure performance car is concern, the M3 will always win on a race track and as a relaxed daily driver. But, that might not be the car someone wants with their car.

So, everyone chill out!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 06:07 AM   #81
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Why can't everyone accept that someone bought one car over another for personal reasons?

Eg. I am getting a 135i now because I feel that I can have more fun with it on my day to day driving, and the M3 is too tame for me until I get to the Revs it needs to get to, which would have been fun but unsafe on public roads.

Someone else might like the tamed, relax driving DD the M3 offers where the 135 is fairly jittery, and love the pure performance from M3 on the weekend when they are out on track.

If I could only have 1 car, and I am able to get to the track once a month, I would have got the M3 instead. So everyone's preference and circumstances are different, and it is really rediculous some people have to force their opinions upon others.

Both are very different cars, and as a pure performance car is concern, the M3 will always win on a race track and as a relaxed daily driver. But, that might not be what someone wants with their car.

So, everyone chill out!

Last edited by sparoz; 03-01-2009 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 06:35 AM   #82
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
It might have an M-tuned suspension, but due to being built on the 4 door hatch 1 series platform, it has extreme limitations. I owned a 135i and cornering isn't its forte. It's also harsh over road irregularities, but I'm sure the runflats have something to do with that. Also, the brakes may be made by Brembo, but they are nothing Brembo would want to put their name on. The are of far lesser quality and capability.
I've read somewhere that the 135i is actually built on a shortened E92 platform so your first argument is incorrect (Have a look here). Brakes are of good quailty and if you are referring to the ceramic part failure then that is also wrong, because those inserts are akso used on the carrera GT , the failures turned out to be from using brake pads that are not designed to work with the 135i and were machined down .