F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Top Gear - US vs UK Versions
Studio RSR
View Poll Results: What is good about he US Version of Top Gear
Nothing 50 65.79%
The hosts 7 9.21%
The production values 10 13.16%
The non-car reveiw segments 6 7.89%
The car review segments 14 18.42%
The writing 3 3.95%
The stars in the small car 4 5.26%
The test track 4 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

01-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #23
Chenry135
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former 2008 135i/ 2006 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Nothing, period.

People who voted the US hosts are better, show your face.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the question for the poll was, "What is good about he US Version of Top Gear?" That being the case I voted yes to the host along with other things because I like them. No I don't think the US version is better than the UK, but I still think the show as a whole is good. Not to mention its by far the best automotive show we get here in the states currently. 10x better than any of that crap on SPEED.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 05:52 AM   #24
thkfast
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Sakhir Orange DCT

US version is unwatchable. No wit. No chemistry. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I do see a similarity with some of the photography between UK and US, but
they didn't think this one out very well.

I'm sorry, it's a lose.

2015 F82 M4 - Sakhir Orange Metallic
2013 E92 M3 / 2013 E92 335is / 2010 E90 335i / 2007 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #25
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenry135 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the question for the poll was, "What is good about he US Version of Top Gear?" That being the case I voted yes to the host along with other things because I like them. No I don't think the US version is better than the UK, but I still think the show as a whole is good. Not to mention its by far the best automotive show we get here in the states currently. 10x better than any of that crap on SPEED.
I agree with everything said here. It's season 1... give it some time. I like Adam and Tanner but the other guy falls a bit flat. I think it will get better and yes, it's the best we have so stop shitting on it.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #26
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkfast View Post
US version is unwatchable. No wit. No chemistry. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I do see a similarity with some of the photography between UK and US, but
they didn't think this one out very well.

I'm sorry, it's a lose.
As succinctly put as possible. 100% agree.

That said, the first year of UK TG was rough too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #27
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Adam Ferrara admittedly knows absolutely nothing about cars so listening to him talk about them is like listening to a female sideline reporter.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #28
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
...Not to mention its by far the best automotive show we get here in the states currently. 10x better than any of that crap on SPEED.
Sadly, that is largely true....

Here in the DC area, though, we have a show that airs on PBS called Motorweek. They make no attempt to be especially funny; they just review cars, talk about how to handle various repairs, maintenance and enhancements to cars and present some car industry news. It's hosted by a highly respected, DC area, automobile mechanic and, as a viewer, one just takes him at face value for what he is and the show's actually quite good. It's well produced, concise with it's content, has good video and the host is entirely credible and likable in an avuncular or neighborly way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #29
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I agree with everything said here. It's season 1... give it some time. I like Adam and Tanner but the other guy falls a bit flat. I think it will get better and yes, it's the best we have so stop shitting on it.
No, it's not the best we have. Motorweek is far better. As is, inasmuch as it airs here in the US, the UK version of Top Gear. I'd not be surprised if there aren't other locally aired and produced car shows -- similar to DC/MD's Motorweek -- in other parts of the country.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by tony20009; 01-27-2011 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #30
Cyrax91
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Imola Red F80 M3

I cant stand US top gear but for some reason I watch for the cars. Anyways, I think the show is just much too scripted. Its seems like they each have lines to say.

Also, I hated how they started the show. They made it seem like it was some new show nobody has ever seen before. I think when they started it they should have given props to the UK version and let the US know that this is an attempt to extend the UK version. Not like its some new hot show they came up with and the stig was some crazy new character. I hated that.
      01-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #31
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

UK TG is the best show period. It was a mistake to franchise it.

The US hosts are awful. Tanner is annoying little prep, but I do admire his skills as a driver so I understand why he was picked to some degree. The other two are the worst, and I want to punch the Fat guy right in the suckhole.

Adam has zero ability and zero knoledge of cars. Why is he on this show? Denis Leary get him on it? With the UK TG all three of them know about cars and are big petrol heads. Adam does not even know how to drive a manual. WTF?

A retarded half blind monkey would of been a better choice. Yes I would say this to any of there faces as well. If any of you know them, and want to set that up I would be happy to prove it Neither one of them could fight there way out of a hug anyway. So I know there is no real big risk to saying that.lol
      01-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #32
Chenry135
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Motorweek is good if you enjoy someone spitting out only facts with no humor. If I want that I will just go by a magazine and read it myself. I watch T.V. for entertainment purposes, and if that's the case US Top Gear is the best show we have. THIS IS MY OPINION, DON'T TELL ME ITS THE WORST SHOW IN THE WORLD AND THAT I AM WRONG BECAUSE I'M SICK OF IT!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #33
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Motorweek is good if you enjoy someone spitting out only facts with no humor. If I want that I will just go by a magazine and read it myself. I watch T.V. for entertainment purposes, and if that's the case US Top Gear is the best show we have. THIS IS MY OPINION, DON'T TELL ME ITS THE WORST SHOW IN THE WORLD AND THAT I AM WRONG BECAUSE I'M SICK OF IT!
Agreed. Motorweek is barely one notch above news print. The narration is robotic and the cars they have on the show are often just the bread and butter cars, nothing exciting or interesting.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #34
krnboy817
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

before the US version there was australian version of TOP GEAR. i believe, it was after top gear's 10th season that the aus version came out. the first episode and the season was terrible. and in second season they replaced one of the hosts... the host that would be clarkson if it was uk TG.

So perhaps US version would and need to do the same...?

Tanner seems to and like and be like Hammond
Rutledge seems like he finds him self as Captain slow.
Adam left with the only part Clarkson.

Clarkson is very good with his words and how he says things. i mean just read his reviews and articles and you will know. Adam just knows how to be obnoxious and try to entertain with his words but he doesnt have that writer/ author quality.

TG UK isnt what it is with out JC and other versions of TG just proves that there is only one JC.

i think TG US should of went with Matt Farah over Adam.

driving is poetry in motion.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #35
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. Motorweek is barely one notch above news print. The narration is robotic and the cars they have on the show are often just the bread and butter cars, nothing exciting or interesting.
Well, yes, but they are cars most folks can consider buying...Don't get me wrong, it's nifty to see Astons and the like, but that's nearly all TG UK does. I rather enjoy seeing what the real scoop is with more obtainable cars.

The few (4) folks I know who have such elite cars really don't care what any car show folks (or anyone else for that matter) think about the car; they bought them to satisfy their own passion, which mostly is about them just thinking the car looks beautiful and its extreme luxury and maybe its technology. (I know for a fact that two of those people have never even seen TG UK or US.) None of them even thinks about driving the cars the way the TG UK hosts do on the track. More typically, they'll drive it to their vacation home or occasionally tool around town with it.

You are right, the Motorweek delivery is somewhat newsy. I guess I just want the information. I'll admit I don't watch any car show for entertainment value, but there's no doubt that the show being entertaining does add to its appeal.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #36
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
If I want to buy a Camry, I'll walk into the dealership and test drive one. It's not entertaining at all to watch and the cars they talk about are just appliances, not performance machines. What I do enjoy is watching people destroy old beaters, actively try to destroy used pickups, and try to top out Astons in the flats. It's also why I prefer the Bourne movies over a yoga video. It is fun and something I will likely never be able to do which is what appeals to me.

The banter may sound rehearsed right now but they barely know each other and I'm sure that will get better with time.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #37
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy817 View Post
Clarkson is very good with his words and how he says things. i mean just read his reviews and articles and you will know. Adam just knows how to be obnoxious and try to entertain with his words but he doesnt have that writer/ author quality.
Exactly! If the US hosts were to learn how to really use English, they'd likely be OK. I don't think the US hosts have any idea of what a compound-complex sentence is, to say nothing of how to deliver them. Their delivery is the literary equivalent of monotonic singing.

I suspect there's a reason that the UK show uses middle-aged hosts, aside from coddling the perception of mid-life crisis ridden males. By that point in one's life, one has seen and lived through enough to be comfortably cynical and smug, and delivering comments to that effect seems natural not affected. That sort of demeanor is difficult if one just hasn't had enough water pass over the dam; the audience just doesn't believe it and doesn't receive it in the spirit it's intended.

Sure, young folks can do it, but so few paid enough attention in, or studied, English literature that it's quite difficult to find younger folks adept at doing so. As a result of that, and the American presumption of politeness being equivalent to not assigning ownership, we get everything in the passive voice rather than a pleasant mix of passive and active voice, shifting emphasis as necessary to elicit interest and impart character -- humor, incredulity, dismay, etc. -- to the spoken/written word.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #38
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428xi

It's ok to watch but UK TG is much better. If it were possible i would replace Adam with Matt Farah and the fat guy with Jay Leno (of course he would never do it though)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #39
jfawns76
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Whoever voted for "Hosts" please delete your account, sell your BMW, and move to Antarctica. I hear it's beautiful this time of year. In all seriousness the hosts are dreadful, I prefer to watch it muted and just watch the pretty automobiles. :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #40
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

those who say tgus is terrible, id love to see any one of you do better.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #41
Chenry135
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfawns76 View Post
Whoever voted for "Hosts" please delete your account, sell your BMW, and move to Antarctica. I hear it's beautiful this time of year. In all seriousness the hosts are dreadful, I prefer to watch it muted and just watch the pretty automobiles. :-)
people like you really bring a lot of credibility to the "Top Gear US sucks" argument...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #42
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Quote:
I like how Adam is so hot on the old Caddies. The man loves the big old boats, and doesn't care when everyone else gives him shit about it. "It's a Caddie!" he'd yell.
      01-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #43
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

I really enjoy TGUSA personally. Yes, the UK show is 1000x better but the US show is hardly unwatchable. The recent "Tough Trucks" episode was genuinely funny and entertaining IMO. Also memorable were the "Used car salesman" and "Moonshine" episodes.....
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #44
Chenry135
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

^ Those are my favorite episodes!
Appreciate 0